1.    #1  
    I have a Sprint Treo 650 and use it often to take videos, however the Treo will not let me upload a video larger than 248kb. 75% of all my videos are between 250 and 750kb in size. I will send money (how much do you think it would be worth) for anyone to hack this allowing me to upload unlimited size videos.

This is definitely a software restriction as I will get the popup warning even when not connected to Vision. I also have no problem uploading larger still pictures, this is only videos.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can accept this challenge!

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    why not just e-mail the file... I personally wish there were a way around the 2mb download limit
  3.    #3  
    I'm not talking about the 2MB Blazer download limit. I do see how that would bug me, but fortunately I haven't run into that issue yet. It's the upload limit in VideoMail that only affects VideoMail. If you're taking a video that has a lot of moving around or a lot of noise, you may get 7 or 8 seconds total.

I don't like e-mailing the file because it will send it in .3g2 format which is unrecognized on a lot of people's computers requiring them to download the codec from QuickTime. By sending/sharing/uploading through VideoMail, it gives me an online site to store and organize all my Pics and Videos and when they are sent, it is sent in .mov format.

Any takers? :-) Shadowmite? :-D

-M-
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    this will take care of any upload limit, without changing the file type.

as far as the sprint site thing, you're on your own.

please send half the $$ to me via paypal.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Quote Originally Posted by iBug
    this will take care of any upload limit, without changing the file type.

as far as the sprint site thing, you're on your own.

please send half the $$ to me via paypal.
    DANGIT -- why didn't I think of that??
    Then you can send me the other half via PalPal!!
  7.    #7  
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions to use the FTP client, however, the FTP client will not convert my .3g2 movie files to .mov and make them easy to share by e-mail. Has anyone with programming knowledge looked at the Pictures program code?

-M-
    Well if the people you usually send videos to all had the codec to play .3g2 files it would make things a lot easier .

I mean are you sending videos to "that many" different people on a regular basis, that they can't go through the trouble of getting the codec? Given there is not yet an easier method.
  9.    #9  
    Well, no... It's more for the organizational aspect than anything else. I keep all my photos on Sprint's PictureMail site and now I can store videos too, but only those videos under 256kb (I realized this is the case, not my title of 248kb). This leaves many of my videos only on my Treo and I would like to save them online so I can play them on my computer and on other's computers later.

Being that it's a software limitation I couldn't imagine it being that hard to find for a programmer once you dissemble the code and that's why I'm willing to pay. I've considered the alternatives, but this is what I really want.

-M-
    Well even if you got past their limit you probably would be violating some agreement you may have made with them.

For the price you're paying for video and picture mail you probably could get a little FTP space and send the files there and keep a copy of the needed codec handy on that FTP server.

And of course you can e-mail pictures and videos without Sprint's service (first mentioned by R1_Rydah) and include the URL to your needed codec in the message.

(Just offering some outside-the-box options.)
  11.    #11  
    Yes, but again, organization is the key. I'm not sure if you're a Sprint customer who uses the PictureMail site, but I think it's absolutely great. I have all my pictures stored in seperate albums that I can share and unshare in seconds, letting friends order prints directly from their site (which has to benefit Sprint in some way when they do), and able to view thumbnails and add captions and so on and so forth. Being able to store ALL my videos would be a huge help for me. No, it's not NECESSARY, but neither is most of the other software we pay for on our Treo. We pay for it because we want it. A lot of my friends and family aren't awfully computer literate. I would lose them asking them to go to a web address, download and install a codec, then look at my FTP directory with files of Videos named in some random order like "Video_050705_004.3g2" telling them which to download. When I send a Picture or Video share through the Sprint site, it will go right to my friend's e-mail with a thumbnail of the photo or album asking them to "click here to view".

Also, I don't think it would be violating an agreement. While there is no official text on this either way except for the fact that they obviously put the 256kb restriction in place for a reason, the PictureMail site lets you upload pictures from your home computer... an unlimited number up to 5MB a picture. I've stored all my pictures from my digital camera on the website to make it easy to send, share and have friends and family order prints of them. I must use over 1GB of their storage space with my pictures. I don't think uploading videos of slightly larger size is a concern of theirs.

How much would it take for someone to look into this? As you can tell, I really want this feature!

-M-

P.S.: I do appreciate all the other options you are offering, I am just set with what I want!
    I understand.

Yes I use Sprint. I used Picture Mail when I first got my T600 and they allowed it to be used for free on a trial basis. (I used it just to check it out.). Once it went fee based, I simply e-mailed the pics instead and never looked back. I never thought Treo owners would have a need for Sprint's Picture/Video Mail service. I figured people with more "limited" devices might need it.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    I understand.

Yes I use Sprint. I used Picture Mail when I first got my T600 and they allowed it to be used for free on a trial basis. (I used it just to check it out.). Once it went fee based, I simply e-mailed the pics instead and never looked back. I never thought Treo owners would have a need for Sprint's Picture/Video Mail service. I figured people with more "limited" devices might need it.
    Fee based?
    ^ Maybe it's just the plan I have. When I first signed on with Vision years ago the picture mail and video mail services did not exist. So they were add ons they wanted me to pay extra for once they were available.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    ^ Maybe it's just the plan I have. When I first signed on with Vision years ago the picture mail and video mail services did not exist. So they were add ons they wanted me to pay extra for once they were available.
    If you had Vision before Picture and VideoMail existed, you should get them for free now... you're what Sprint users call "grandfathered." I am one of those users!

-M-
    That is good to know. Not sure why it was only a trial back years ago. But just the same I really don't have a need for it. Since I just e-mail pics and/or video as needed.

I'm kind of "anti" when it comes to using an additional service if I can get around it .

Yea I'm that kind of guy that has to feel like I did as much myself as possible without anyone making it easy for me .
    Moved to correct forum.