1.    #1  
    My "p" key is totally failing, leaving random groups of 5 or 6 p's everywhere, the backspace key is now a "p" key, as is the "o" key.

I decided to see what I can do about this, so I called Verizon. Surprise, surprise, they say that this phone's serial number isn't in their database (except as being tied to my phone number) so they can't provide tech support or warranty service for it since I didn't buy it from them. They gave me PalmOne's number so I called them and went through the whole troubleshooting thing (hard resets, 3 times because the guy was confused since it wasn't asking me to choose a language, something its never done). The PalmOne rep was completely confused once he realized that the serial number I'd given to him was for a Sprint phone (locked to Sprint) and I'd said I had Verizon service. He told me that if I couldn't get Verizon to do the repair then it'd be considered an out of warranty issue and it would cost $179 to get it fixed.

I guess at this point my gamble is turning out to be a losing bet. I bought a Sprint Treo 650 on eBay and Verizonized it in December because I didn't want to wait any longer, my Kyocera 7135 was old, outdated and severely lacking in features I needed (BlueTooth, hi res screen, faster processor, etc.). But now, if I end up having to pay an extra $179 for a repair on a hardware defect for a phone that's barely 6 months old then I wish I would have waited it out for the official Verizon 650.

Has anyone else tried to get a Sprint 650 that's been unlocked and used on Verizon repaired for any reason? Any luck? What about the insurance? I've been paying Verizon for insurance all along, what would happen if the phone were damaged and I needed to make a claim? Would they deny it because I didn't buy the phone from them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cat
    My "p" key is totally failing, ...

... What about the insurance? I've been paying Verizon for insurance all along, what would happen if the phone were damaged and I needed to make a claim? Would they deny it because I didn't buy the phone from them?
    I happen to have a Sprint Treo 600 on Sprint, but I've replaced a Treo 300 with another Treo 300 under Lockline (the company that handles the insurance clains, etc.). If I'm not mistaken, Verizon also uses Lockline. Your phone actually is damaged, and since it is out of warranty, Lockline should cover it. My guess is that they'd replace your phone with a refurb Verizon T650. Maybe they'd want you to go to a Verizon store (in order to verify that your phone was damaged). If the store gives you a hard time, I guess you'll need to flush it down a public toilet and then tell them that you did so (accidentally, of course), and then ask for an insurance replacement. On a second thought, you might be safer to "loose" your phone, rather than flushing it, but just make sure you loose it in a place where you might be able to find it should they insist on not honoring your claim. (If that happens, demand reimbursement for your insurance premiums, because they were taking your money for a service they were not going to perform.) If you do end up loosing your phone or flushing it down the toilet, remeber that you'll be without your phone for a week or longer while waiting for a refurb to become available at Lockline. Good luck, I hope the insurance route works (since you were paying for it) and hope that nobody asks too many questions. If that works, don't ever re-use your old phone for anything else but parts (in the unlikely case that you ever remember where you lost it.)

regards, -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I can fix the keypad and intall a new on in there for you...Maybe we can work out a deal. Shoot me over a pm on what you are lookin to spend to fix this...

B
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cat
    My "p" key is totally failing, leaving random groups of 5 or 6 p's everywhere, the backspace key is now a "p" key, as is the "o" key.

I decided to see what I can do about this, so I called Verizon. Surprise, surprise, they say that this phone's serial number isn't in their database (except as being tied to my phone number) so they can't provide tech support or warranty service for it since I didn't buy it from them. They gave me PalmOne's number so I called them and went through the whole troubleshooting thing (hard resets, 3 times because the guy was confused since it wasn't asking me to choose a language, something its never done). The PalmOne rep was completely confused once he realized that the serial number I'd given to him was for a Sprint phone (locked to Sprint) and I'd said I had Verizon service. He told me that if I couldn't get Verizon to do the repair then it'd be considered an out of warranty issue and it would cost $179 to get it fixed.

I guess at this point my gamble is turning out to be a losing bet. I bought a Sprint Treo 650 on eBay and Verizonized it in December because I didn't want to wait any longer, my Kyocera 7135 was old, outdated and severely lacking in features I needed (BlueTooth, hi res screen, faster processor, etc.). But now, if I end up having to pay an extra $179 for a repair on a hardware defect for a phone that's barely 6 months old then I wish I would have waited it out for the official Verizon 650.

Has anyone else tried to get a Sprint 650 that's been unlocked and used on Verizon repaired for any reason? Any luck? What about the insurance? I've been paying Verizon for insurance all along, what would happen if the phone were damaged and I needed to make a claim? Would they deny it because I didn't buy the phone from them?
    While I can certainly understand Verizon not wanting to support a phone you didn't purchase from them, seems to me if they sold you the insurance plan, they would be liable regardless. Did you have to sign any paperwork for the insurance? Anything in there with you attesting that it's a Verizon purchased phone? Or did they log the serial number on the phone?

Skinny is they took the money, and accepted the responsibility. Thus, you've paid for the insurance. Seems they'd have no choice but to cover it.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    While I can certainly understand Verizon not wanting to support a phone you didn't purchase from them, seems to me if they sold you the insurance plan, they would be liable regardless. Did you have to sign any paperwork for the insurance? Anything in there with you attesting that it's a Verizon purchased phone? Or did they log the serial number on the phone?

Skinny is they took the money, and accepted the responsibility. Thus, you've paid for the insurance. Seems they'd have no choice but to cover it.

Pamela
    All I had to do to get the insurance was call up and say "I want insurance on my phone". They added it to the line no questions asked. I don't remember how long ago I added it, but it may have been before I got the 650, back when I had a 7135. I'll see if I can figure that out from my old bills, but they still took the money every month since December when I switched phones and they knew (obviously) that I was switching phones.
    Then I would say you have them - You need to move up the chain to someone in charge.

"I don't understand. You obviously honored an insurance agreement by billing and accepting my money each month. Am I too understand that now your intentions are to not keep your end of the bargain?"

If they give you blah-blah about not their phone, blah-blah.

Ask them where in writing they told you you wouldn't be covered. Them billing you WAS their agreement to cover you. Them accepting your payment on it WAS their agreement to cover you. Chances are you'll get what you need and then they'll drop the coverage (which would make sense in their case), but for now, they billed you, and thus you are covered. Hold your ground, there's no way around this.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    ... Chances are you'll get what you need and then they'll drop the coverage (which would make sense in their case), but for now, they billed you, and thus you are covered. Hold your ground, there's no way around this.

Pamela
    Most likely, they would replace the phone with a Verizon T650, and there would be no reason to drop coverage (unless 2 claims are filed within a 12 month period) assuming Lockline works the same way on Verizon as Sprint. I suggested loosing the phone because that just seemed like a way to avoid 1000 questions. In the end, Verizon probably would like to keep this man as a customer. After all, he did go out of his way to get Verizon service on his phone! I agree with Pamela, I all cases, hold your ground! -- BC
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  8.    #8  
    I tried again with Verizon, this time in the store. I guess the store doesn't handle smart devices so they were calling the data tech support department, then the lady took the case off the phone and saw the "Sprint" logo (after handling the phone for about 5 min.). She was still on hold, but between herself and another rep they decided to just hang up because they knew that the data tech people wouldn't help me if the phone hadn't been purchased from Verizon. She gave me the insurance company's pamphlet but told me not to get my hopes up because they usually only cover damage if its physically visible and not something that could have been caused by a manufacturing defect.

Verizon's insurance carrier is Assurion, but I'm sure their service is similar to what Sprint's LockLine is. I made a claim using their internet claim form, I'll probably hear from them sometime next week (hopefully Tuesday) due to the long weekend. The story is that the phone was damaged when I dropped it, because I do drop it quite a bit. "Losing" it is out of the question, for a few reasons. 1. They require a police report if the phone is lost or stolen and 2. I'm way too honest to pull an insurance fraud scam, not to mention lying to the police.

If the insurance denies my claim I'm going to demand a refund for all of the premiums that I've paid and cancel the coverage. I'll then take Goober408 up on his generous offer to help me fix it myself.
    I had the same problem you experienced. I Verizoned a Sprint 650 bought from eBay and after three months a few letters on the keyboard failed that also affected the center button intermittenly. I called Palm who refered me to Sprint and Verizon but neither of them would deal with it. I finally called lockline and they sent me out a new Verizon 650 and I sent back my Sprint 650. The Verizon 650 is working even better with the wireless sync than the Sprint 650 did so the $50 spent on the deductable was well worth it for me.
    Asurion also provide the insurance for T-Mobile.As I recall they cover loss,theft and physical damage.I have an unlocked 650 which I have insured through Asurion via T-Mobile,no matter that I did not purchase it through them (T-Mobile).Try contactin Asurion directly,you may have more luck with them.
    If you want Cool Cat I have one of the boards set aside for you. I have others askin me if I can fix theres so I need to know in a day or so if you want me to fix yours or not...

B
  12.    #12  
    I've got good news to report, I just received my brand new Verizon Treo 650 from Asurion! YAY!!!

Goober, thanks for the offer to help, it is sincerely appreciated. You can pass along your boards to others in need. I'll keep you in mind if I have any more problems in the future.

Now the only questions I have concern switching from a Verizonized Sprint Treo 650 to an actual Verizon Treo 650. Anyone know if there are any snags I should expect? Can I just run BBVFS to do a backup on my old Treo, then pop the card into my new Treo and restore and off I go? I'm also a little unsure as to how much I should send back to Asurion. They sent me a brand new Treo 650, in the Verizon box with all the accessories. The return envelope they sent is only big enough for the phone, so I'm assuming that the accessories are mine to keep, but what about the stylus and battery?