1.    #1  
    I have a Verizon 650 and was wondering how exactly do I get rid of my phone # and information programmed in the phone, incase I want to sell it? A hard reset doesn't do it..
    You are not doing a proper hard reset then...

But for more protection, a zero out reset is advised:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(887)

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    You are not doing a proper hard reset then...

But for more protection, a zero out reset is advised:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(887)
    Yes I am, a hard reset isn't supposed to remove your phone # programmed into the phone
    The phone # I don't think can be removed from the phone info until it is programmed with another number. It shouldn't be a problem to cell though. I just sold one on ebay. According to Verizon, the hard reset is all you need to do.
    Also, if you got a new phone or closed your account, shouldn't matter. Once you program your number into another phone, they wouldn't be able to make calls on your treo. I've never worried about the number and have sold many phones on eBay. I just advise the other to stop at the VZW store and they can handle it for them so that's what they do.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    A hammer works nicely but may have an effect on sale price.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I thought thatthe phone # is associated with the SIM.

Ignorant question: Do the CDMA phones (Sprint, Verizon) have SIM's?

My guess is no .. in which case I will slink out of this thread...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    There are four kinds of resets for Treo 650: soft, warm, hard, and zero-out.

Soft Reset

Soft resets are a kind of general purpose reset, like rebooting a pc. This turns your device off, clears out anything that might be hung, and starts it up again. It is a soft reset you experience when your Treo suddenly turns itself off and automatically restarts. Some applications cause a soft reset after installation. Some just restart, and some let you know they will need to restart, please tap the button.

A soft reset can be performed by simply removing the back cover and letting the battery lose contact for a moment. If this fails to reset your Treo 650, you can poke a paperclip into the reset hole found under the battery. Several utilities also offer a soft reset feature from the software including ZLauncher and Initiate.

Warm Reset

A warm reset is used when something is causing your Treo to act funny. You can sometimes use it to avoid That Endless Loop Thingie ("TELT"). A warm reset is like going into Safe Mode on your pc.

To perform a warm reset, initiate a reset (via software, or removing the back cover), and hold the up arrow on the 5-way navigation pad as the Treo turns back on. When the Palm screen shows, let go and allow it to continue starting. At this point you can remove the software causing you problems if you know what it is.

Hard Reset

When all else fails!!! A hard reset will erase everything you have on your Treo (excluding what's on the ROM, or what you have on your SD card). Do this only as a last resort and ensure that you have BACKED UP your data beforehand.

To perform a hard reset, start your reset in any of the ways mentioned above. This time, hold down both the up arrow AND the power button until the Palm screen appears. When the Palm screen appears, let go of the power button, then the up arrow. You will then be prompted (in many languages) to press up to erase all data, or down to abort.

Zero-Out Reset

A zero out reset will regress a device that has non-volatile memory to its factory-fresh state. When done correctly, it completely rewrites your device's internal memory with zeros and ones, ensuring that any data is expunged. It should be used only if you want all information completely obliterated (example: you're selling your handheld, or you're sending it in for repair, and want to protect your privacy).

1. Read through these instructions before attempting the reset. We made this method of zero out reset extremely awkward to perform, so that it would not happen by accident. You may need the help of a dextrous friend if you find it too difficult to do by yourself.
    2. Connect your device to its HotSync cable or cradle. The HotSync cable does not need to be connected to your PC, and it does not need to be connected to power.
    3. Press and hold the Power button and UP on the 5-way navigator.
    4. While continuing to hold Power and UP, press and hold the HotSync button on the HotSync cable or cradle. As you press HotSync, make sure your other finger doesn't slide to LEFT or RIGHT on the 5-way navigator; it needs to be exactly on UP during the entire process. Although you are pressing the HotSync button, a HotSync operation should not begin.
    5. While continuing to hold Power, UP and HotSync, press and release the RESET button on the back panel of your device (where's the reset hole?). This is very difficult to do with only one person; you may wish to hold the stylus in your mouth and use your hands to press Power, UP and HotSync.
    6. Release Power, UP and HotSync.
    7. If you did this reset correctly, the screen of your device will go blank, and you will not be able to turn it on. The charging LED will not light up, even if it's connected to power. It will appear to be "dead." (any other activity -- such as the Palm OS logo or a rainbow-colored Boot Log screen appearing -- means the reset was performed incorrectly; try again)
    8. Your device will appear "dead" for several minutes (up to 10 minutes). During this time, your device's internal memory is being reformatted. If your device doesn't appear "dead" for several minutes with the screen completely blank, the zero out reset was performed incorrectly; try again.
    9. After several minutes, your device will "wake up" and the palmOne and Palm Powered logos will appear as if you had performed a hard reset. Eventually, you'll be taken to a series of screens to calibrate the touchscreen and set date & time.
    10. If you want your handheld to remain in factory state, stop here. If you want to restore data to your device, follow the steps for recovering after a hard reset (a zero out reset is a special type of hard reset).
    iBug
    mac osx user • new beetle pilot • powerbook operator • smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Do the CDMA phones (Sprint, Verizon) have SIM's?
    No, Sprint does not use SIM cards, but that's not a stupid question at all!

Each phone has a Master Subsidy Lock (MSL) that will unlock the phone and allow your programming to be edited. This lock code should never make it into the hands of customers, however, you can call your Sprint store and they will give you a one-time lock code that will (as the name suggests) only work once -- just enough to allow you to 0000000000 out your mhone number (Mobile Device Number - MDN) and 0000000000 out your phone's ID number (Mobile Identification Number - MIN). All they need is your phone number and they can look it up for you.

In fact, email or PM me with the number and I can give it to you. Below are instructions:

---------------------------------------------

1. Turn on your phone and enter ##XXXXXX# (where the X's represent your lock code) -- if your phone is not powered on at this point it will power on now.

2. You will be taken to the "Activating Your Phone" dialouge where you will be shown your phone's ESN, MDN, and MIN. At the bottom left is an "Edit" button. Selection this will allow you to edit your phone number and MIN (which are most often the same number)

3. Change your Mobile Number to 0000000000

4. Change your MIN to 0000000001 - it will not accept all zeros.

5. Hit "Save" and give it a few minutes to reprogram.
    Last edited by ergosum; 07/05/2005 at 11:15 AM.
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·
    Meghan Edmonds
    Technical Service Representative
    · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · ·
    Sprint PCS, Brookwood
    1925 Peachtree Road
    Atlanta, GA 30309
    Voice: 404.351.2225
    Fax: 404.350.7266