1. mdh
    Hi all! I'm one of those Verizon customers who really wants a 650 but doesn't need data access enough to pay Verizon anything for the privilege. My plan has been to get it without a data plan (i.e. with 'pay as you go') -- but I've been a bit spooked by the billing problems I've seen on this forum. So here's a question:

Is it possible to turn off access to the data network (I suppose it's the "National Access" configuration) altogether, so that you can't incur *any* data charges without being warned and explicitly saying OK?

Has anybody tried this and had it work successfully? Has anybody tried this and still gotten $$$$ data charges from Verizon?

If you do this, are you able to send/receive text messages or pictures?

Anything else I should be warned about before doing 'pay as you go' (and planning not to go anywhere / pay anything)?

Thanks!
    Mark
    Go to your preferences, and go to Network. Menu-> New. Create a bogus account. Then leave (leaving the bogus account active). Whenever the Treo tries to connect, it will use the bogus account and fail.
    You can get Verizon to disable data access on your phone too.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    does this work? I wanted to keep my 650 but I kept getting told I could not have it without the data package. If this is true, I can finally have my palm/phone :-) I will call and order another one tonight if this is possible?
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I believe there is also an option somewhere to prompt you to connect to the data network. You can alwayts say NO when it pops up.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    I believe there is also an option somewhere to prompt you to connect to the data network. You can alwayts say NO when it pops up.

Joe
    Select the Prefs icon
    Select Network
    Hit the Menu Key>Options>Preferences
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."