Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    Here's a recent source that shows Sprint expects to use 14K Nextel sites for CDMA by 2008. Sprint has already started adding CDMA to some Nextel sites.

http://www.internetnews.com/wireless...le.php/3527306

The deal closed today BTW. Sprint Nextel is the corporate name but the marketing will be just Sprint.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Should be good for Earthlink too since it uses the sprint network and roams on the Verizon network. I didn't have any coverage degradation when I switched from Verizon to Earthlink.
  3.    #63  
    According to the Sprint/Nextel application, Sprint now has over 24,000 cell sites and will be adding 14,000 more by 2008 or about 4,000 per year.

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/a...64392058496989

According to this, Verizon has "over 23,000" cell sites. Verizon has added only 1-2,000 sites a year lately.
    http://news.vzw.com/pdf/Verizon_Wireless_Press_Kit.pdf
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    weary of making this a verizon vs sprint pissing match, but i did want to share some amazing real world experience that 800 vs 1900 mhz MIGHT be a big deal.

I happen to take the Path and NYC subway about every once or twice a month. I had sprint for like 7 or 8 years and recently got verizon (not for coverage actually but becasue my company grew large enough that the sprint plans weren't as easy as the verizon plans for the nuymber of lines we needed). Anyhow, this weekend was the first time I went underground since switching to VZ. I was completely amazed- with verizon I got service in the Hoboken and 33rd street Path stations on the platforms underground. The hoboken platform is 2 levels underground, the 33rd st platform is one level. I also got service on the D subway platform at 33rd street which is BELOW the path line- actually a total of 3 levels underground!

No chance of that happening with sprint.

I thought it might be 'phantom' service- ya know where the phone doesn't realize the signal is gone- but nope it was real. I actually browsed the web inside the path train in Hoboken for several minutes while I was waiting for it to depart. At 33rd street I was sending and receiving text messages.

In the tunnels service totally went dead. On the way home I actually wrote a couple text message on the D train in the tunnel and when I got off at 33rd street the phone reconneected to the network and sent them.

I THINK this is just spill over service from above ground. I'd think they would advertise it like mad if they actually put antenna's in the stations. But I could be wrong though.
    If it is a real cell/antenna they placed there, then I guess verizon just hasd a lot more sites in NYC then sprint? (since Xenophonite has proven that Sprint as a whole has more sites then VZ)
  5.    #65  
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/25/ny...9N+QClnQtpEjvA

This article may explain. There are some exclusive contracts with certain terminals. Then again, it could be because of 800mhz.

"The authority wants a company or a consortium to design, build, operate and maintain the system - at no cost to the authority. In return, the winning bidder would have an exclusive 10-year license, with two optional 5-year extensions, and the right to sell access to the network to "multiple commercial service providers."

The good news is that the contracts require other carriers to use the network.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    interesting. That is good news that the other carriers would have to be allowed on.

BUT it makes you wonder if the winner will need to build GSM AND CDMA or if they can go one way or the other? If cingulair for example wins and only goes GSM then sprint and vzw folks are hosed. And the opposite is also true. You have posted some interesting links about wireless repeaters which would appear to be format agnostice since they just repeat RF, maybe that would be a solution to this.

The article does mention that the port authority (which for those who dont know runs the PATH (Port Authority Trans Hudson))- has deals for the automobile tunnels but says nothing about the PATH system.

Thinking about it- I wish there were rules in general to compel the differnt network operators to allow roaming in general. There's no reason why where sprint of verizon has service one shouldn't be allowed to roam, but having recently switch I'm aware of areas where one or the other has service but roaming wasn't allowed. I'd pay (real money not even 'free roaming minutes') for roaming but it appears the towers and/or PRL's dont even permit it.
    This is all great information. I just had a couple of points to add (based on what I've read here and elsewhere).

1. To the last few posts regarding coverage in tunnels.... this is similar to how it's setup in DC. VZW has an exclusive contract for service in the METRO subway tunnels.

2. To one of the earlier posts.... it seems that the minimum signal dbs a phone needs for it to be useful is around -105db. Usually you can test it by going into debug mode (on a Sprint phone) and all that information is listed there.

My 2 cents......
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    actually i belive the article says the DC contract requires them to allow roaming (sorry too lazy to make another made up log in to get into the times website). But since its VZW then the network is CDMA so only sprint can roam on it.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234