1.    #1  
    In August, VZW will start charging 10 cents for incoming text messages. They have a 100-pack plan for $2.99.

I was informed that using SMS does NOT count as TXT messaging - but goes against the data.

Pamela
    SMS is text messaging so I'm not sure how it can't count as text messaging.
    Does the 650 have a different text messaging application other than SMS?

Text messaging (SMS) and picture messaging (MMS) have been different than Verizon data (different plans, different costs and non-overlapping) Unless Verizon recently changed their plans incoming SMS (text) was $.02 and outgoing was $.10
    This is above and beyond any data plans.
    I can confirm the price increase for incoming SMS messages. I was activating my Treo yesterday and the rep mentioned that to me. I've typically just payed per use for SMS as it would still end up below the cost of having a plan for text messaging, however with the increase on the way I jumped on the 2.99 plan. Verizon just isn't content until they squeeze every last dime out of you.

As of August incoming SMS messages $0.10 !!!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo
    SMS is text messaging so I'm not sure how it can't count as text messaging.
    Does the 650 have a different text messaging application other than SMS?

Text messaging (SMS) and picture messaging (MMS) have been different than Verizon data (different plans, different costs and non-overlapping) Unless Verizon recently changed their plans incoming SMS (text) was $.02 and outgoing was $.10
    This is above and beyond any data plans.
    I spoke to two billing reps and I looked at my bill. I was not charged for any of my Google messages (46455 - or whatever it is). Without a TXT plan, I was charged $0.00 for each one. I was told that that type of messaging is part of the data plan.

It's when you use the actual messaging feature (and people send text messages to you via an phone@vtext.com or direct through their message txt app that it counts.

My last bill I was charged for 26 incoming messages - all via my website via a vtext email addy. I received about 40 from google via SMS - I sent about 23 to Google via SMS and 12 regular txt messages. I was charged for 12 TXT messages.

Pamela
  5.    #5  
    Updating my posts, conflicting report from local store manager who is going to call me back. Unbelievable on this one. Nothing is in writing.
    I don't think anyone at Verizon actually knows about the data plans or packages. Every phone call will yield a different answer.
  7.    #7  
    Yep - total "what???".

Just got back from talking directly to a manager. I am told that those working in stores and in billing are not kept privy to what charges and what doesn't. They said only the Data Tech Support can tell you (nothing in writing... ugh).

We did test it - at the store I sent an SMS to Google for a request, got two messages back. They were labeled on the phone as incoming TXT. Then we did a #3282 (which will send you a free message telling you how many TXT messages you've used on the plan in the billing period). It reported ZERO. So I'll match THAT up against my next bill.

Pamela
    Be aware that the Verizon text and data reports are not constantly updated. I know the data usage can run 3-5 days behind when you incurred the usage. Not sure about the text messaging but don't assume because it didn't register them immediately it won't within the week or in your final bill.