1.    #1  
    At some point after I recived my Treo 650 from VZW, I set up a new dial up networking connection. It seems to be working better than the Nat'l Access connection, but I do not know specifically what the reprocussions may be...

-Under netwrk preferences, I created a new dial up connnection service.
    -I chose virtual modem, entered my phone number for my user name, assigned a pass word and used #777" for the phone number

What did I do? The connection is MUCH faster. Do I still need my unlimited data plan if I just use this connection? Will I be billed against my voice minutes, or against my data plan, or nothing at all?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but this new connection works much better and I would like to continue to use it, but I just do not want any surprises.
    Sounds to me like you will be using minutes
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    Sounds to me like you will be using minutes
    Go online tomorrow (or tonight) and check your minutes usage on the Verizon website. . . . see if the odometer is running . . . . .

(I'm a Sprint user, I assume Verizion has this usage data available on their website.)

Cheers, Perry.
    cawoodw, so what did you find out? MOU or just Data?
  5.    #5  
    thanks folks, haven't checked yet though
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    um, I would cancel that modem asap. My powerbook has BT and my v710 (am getting a 650) has BT, and I used the v710 as a modem through the #777 and my phone bill for using it for like a week was just over 400$. I called and they charged me what I would have payed if I had the unlimited plan, like 10 bucks, but they didn't have to and it took a lot of yelling, so, good luck.

Just my experience, YMMV.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I am dialing up to my SBC dialup account using the virtual modem and I have not yet seen any charges.

There have been some posts where people were charged for using the #777, and some where people were not. I tried it and did not see any charges, but I did not do much on it so my report is not that valid.
    I have Verizon and just went to network preferences and it says "LOCKED" (by mobile service provider). I can't modify it if I wanted to. Am I missing something? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    You would need to add a new profile in the network tab. Go to prefs, then network then click the menu button and select new.