Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    ^Possibly, but it's also possible that it is the firmware. It could also be the compression on Sprint's connection manager vs. Verizon's. I have a Sprint Merlin card coming so will do some tests with and w/out compression. Sprint's Merlin card is apparently exactly the same firmware as Verizon's, only ESN number is different.

I took the Verizon Merlin and Sprint Sierra cards to a friend who lives in an exurban area. We know that both Sprint/Verizon share the same tower location. We drove next to it as well as tested from his house, about .5 miles away.

Was able to consistenly get 1Mbit/sec with Sprint. Could only consistently get 800-850Kbit/sec with Verizon and only one 1Mb peak. Looking at dslreports.com/mspeed results, it's pretty rare to see a Verizon 1Mb/sec peak yet there are many Sprint peaks. Could be load, could be firmware, could be compression methods in connection managers.

BTW, Sprint is unoffically way ahead of the official schedule, moreso than last comment about it. The official schedule appears to be paced for taking on new customers, but actual availability in metro areas is well ahead of the rollout schedule. St. Louis and Kansas City are completely covered in Sprint EVDO yet the official rollout for metro-wide coverage is stated for October for both cities.
    Last edited by xenophonite; 06/28/2005 at 11:08 AM.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Was able to consistenly get 1Mbit/sec with Sprint. Could only consistently get 800-850Kbit/sec with Verizon and only one 1Mb peak. Looking at dslreports.com/mspeed results, it's pretty rare to see a Verizon 1Mb/sec peak yet there are many Sprint peaks. Could be load, could be firmware, could be compression methods in connection managers.
    You might try both using just the windows connection manager (not the software provided by Sprint/Verizon) and see.
    BTW, Sprint is unoffically way ahead of the official schedule, moreso than last comment about it. The official schedule appears to be paced for taking on new customers, but actual availability in metro areas is well ahead of the rollout schedule. St. Louis and Kansas City are completely covered in Sprint EVDO yet the official rollout for metro-wide coverage is stated for October for both cities.
    What impact does this have on Sprint's originally planned EV-DV rollout?
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    You might try both using just the windows connection manager (not the software provided by Sprint/Verizon) and see.
    Will try that.

What impact does this have on Sprint's originally planned EV-DV rollout?

From what I've read, Sprint is leaning towards VoIP over EVDO Rev A instead of EVDV. I've heard there will be limited availability of Rev A next year and broad rollouts in 2007 and completion by 2008. VoIP, video conferencing, talking while web browsing on smartphones is just around the corner.

http://telephonyonline.com/wireless/...s_voip_030305/
  4.    #24  
    I just got the Sprint Merlin S620 card and WOW, up to 1.4Mbit/sec actual download speeds. It was sometimes too fast for dslreports.com/mspeed 600K file so I had to use the cable/dsl test. This never happend with the Verizon or Sprint Sierra card.

Check out the results below. The 64108 zipcode that also say EVDO are my tests.

http://www.dslreports.com/archive?zi...=&start=Search

I'll do some test with Verizon Merlin and Sprint Sierra using same tool.
    From what I've read, Sprint is leaning towards VoIP over EVDO Rev A instead of EVDV.
    An interesting approach. I wonder how they plan to overcome the locational 911 challenges companies like Vodaphone are facing now with their land-based, VOIP approach? Otherwise, this sounds like a slick way to implement a "poor man's" EV-DV.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    An interesting approach. I wonder how they plan to overcome the locational 911 challenges companies like Vodaphone are facing now with their land-based, VOIP approach? Otherwise, this sounds like a slick way to implement a "poor man's" EV-DV.
    Since LBS is coming I'd think it can be handled from that approach. With traceroutes, you could also figure out which tower is closest.
  7.    #27  
    Did more testing with Sprint Sierra, Sprint Merlin and Verizon Merlin card.

- It is clear that the Sprint Merlin card is faster on average than the Sprint Sierra card.

- I also tried compression and found that upload speeds are cut in half but not much download benefit.

- Using the connection manager with no compression vs. the WinXP connection manager didn't seem to have noticably different results.

- Verizon was slower on average at this location but I'll also try at home on my rooftop, where I get best Verizon performance.

Results..

Cpx = compression turned on
    With traceroutes, you could also figure out which tower is closest.
    I wasn't aware the IP address was assigned at the tower, but rather at a central (regional) server. Is there a server assigned to each tower in EV-DO? How are IPs transferred between towers as you move around the network with the same continuous connection (for example, I have streamed, uninterrupted, for over 70 miles of driving presumedly on the same IP address).
    Did more testing with Sprint Sierra, Sprint Merlin and Verizon Merlin card.
    Thanks for the link - that's good information. You are clobbering that 64108 ZIP code! Can you account for why the Verizon upload speed seems to be generally higher than the Sprint upload speed? Still some tuning going on in th network maybe?
  9.    #29  
    ^Yeah, I'd guess it's just the way Verizon/Sprint tune.

Check it out, hitting over 1.6Mbps with Sprint Merlin... (ignore the top one, was on WiFi and didn't realize it). Am consistently getting over 1Mbps with Merlin and these tests were indoors.

With the Sprint Sierra, I can often get just over 1Mbps but not as consistently as Merlin - same location. I'm not having much luck getting Verizon over 1Mbps wherever I try, even exurbs.
  10.    #30  
    Looks like the official consumer Sprint EVDO launch has begun...

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/ka...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Sprint starts high-speed wireless Internet service

Sprint Corp. launched a high-speed wireless Internet service Thursday that soon will be available almost anywhere users can get a wireless phone signal.

The technology used, called EV-DO, is the same that rival Verizon Wireless uses to offer broadband Internet services on phones and laptop computers. Verizon Wireless began offering EV-DO in Kansas City and other big markets in September.

Overland Park-based Sprint (NYSE: FON) said in a written release that it would offer the service in the airports and business districts of 34 markets, including Kansas City, this month. By the fourth quarter, the service will be within reach of 143 million people, Sprint said, and by early 2006, it will be available in at least 200 urban and suburban markets.

"This is just furthering Sprint's wireless data dominance," said Peter Cannistra, Sprint's director of wireless high-speed data, in an interview Thursday.

The release of EV-DO, priced from $40 to $90 a month, is a leap from Sprint's current wireless Internet offering, PCS Vision. Users of that service can download from the Internet at dial-up speeds, versus DSL-like speeds for EV-DO.

Sprint has built a $1 billion annual business selling the PCS Vision service and the extras users can download, such as video games and television clips. Cannistra said availability of EV-DO will bolster the company's portfolio of data offerings, such as crisper video and audio clips.

Roger Entner, a vice president of Boston-based research firm Ovum, estimated Thursday that Verizon Wireless will make $250 million to $300 million this year selling EV-DO service.

"We quickly begin to talk about real money here," he said. "The revenue opportunity is huge."

Sprint signed a deal in December to pay a total of $3 billion to three equipment companies for the EV-DO upgrade and a 2007 EV-DO upgrade that makes the service about 25 percent faster.

Sprint also is exploring technologies such as WiMax for unused radio frequencies it owns with merger partner Nextel Communications Inc. A WiMax or similar service could boast wireless Internet speeds two-to five-times as fast as EV-DO, Cannista said.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12