1.    #1  
    OK I received my Treo 650 yesterday. I was pretty excited after many, many years of low-res screens (m515), b/w screens (Palm Pro, III, V,) carrying two devices (palm and phone), I couldn't wait to play with my Treo! But I have a bunch of complaints that might have me returning the 650 and going for the T5 and a bluetooth phone (v710). Please tell me there are workarounds for these problems:

1) Blazer stinks. The network speed is fine (I'm sucking down the data quickly), but the browser and its functions are the bottleneck to performance.
    a. No active scrolling (like with the Avantgo browser, you can drag up or down from anywhere on the screen with the stylus).
    b. Can you say S L O W??? Why is it constantly "redrawing..." the screen? Why does it take so long to redraw? Why isn't it able to quickly redraw screens from cache? It's downloading everything everytime despite my 3MB allocated to cache.
    c. Selecting links is sometimes unresponsive. What am I doing wrong?
    d. I was reading a page after it loaded (several minutes!) and the treo shut down due to inactivity. When I turned it back on and went into Blazer, I had to reload the whole page. Took another eternity. Why didn't it already have the page ready to display? (Again, like Avantgo.)
    e. I can't select a link while it is downloading???
    f. I can't cancel a page load without it redrawing the page??? Insanity!
    g. No faster way to scroll down the page? Using the 4-way thing is too slow. I want a page up/down like the 2-button thing did on my m515.

2) This thing gets HOT. I was on a long call yesterday with it plugged in (I was still charging the battery) and the 650 got so hot that with it pressed against my ear, my entire body was overheating. I'm not a big fan of the heat and on a hot day, holding a heat pack against my head is not what I want. My old Star Tac (best phone ever) got hot but the earpiece stayed relatively cool. With the treo, it seems the earpiece is the part that gets the most warm.

3) No quick access to time and alarm function. on my m515 accessing the clock and alarm settings was a click away.

4) No one-button access to contacts? I did reassign the buttons, but there are too few of them. And why is the side button push-and-hold?

5) While browsing the web in bed last night I thought my eyes would suffer irreversible damage from the orange laser shooting into my face. Why is that LED so bright?

6) Audio quality is poor. When having a conversation on the phone, the other person will often sound distorted during some of the peaks in the amplitude of the signal. It's not always distorted, only during the louder syllables. But, and this I aleady knew, despite the distortion, the sound is not loud. I must say that the overall volume is sufficient.

OK, ok, deep breaths. I'm sure a lot of this can be fixed with downloads and just learning the system better. So please, tell me this will get better! Can anyone address the heat issue if nothing else? That's the real killer for me. Thanks and sorry for the rant.
    dip your treo in a bucket of liquid nitrogen. that should solve the heat issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone
    1) Blazer stinks. The network speed is fine (I'm sucking down the data quickly), but the browser and its functions are the bottleneck to performance.
    a. No active scrolling (like with the Avantgo browser, you can drag up or down from anywhere on the screen with the stylus).
    b. Can you say S L O W??? Why is it constantly "redrawing..." the screen? Why does it take so long to redraw? Why isn't it able to quickly redraw screens from cache? It's downloading everything everytime despite my 3MB allocated to cache.
    d. I was reading a page after it loaded (several minutes!) and the treo shut down due to inactivity. When I turned it back on and went into Blazer, I had to reload the whole page. Took another eternity. Why didn't it already have the page ready to display? (Again, like Avantgo.)
    g. No faster way to scroll down the page? Using the 4-way thing is too slow. I want a page up/down like the 2-button thing did on my m515.
    Use a different browser like Webpro or Xino.

2) This thing gets HOT. I was on a long call yesterday with it plugged in (I was still charging the battery) and the 650 got so hot that with it pressed against my ear, my entire body was overheating. I'm not a big fan of the heat and on a hot day, holding a heat pack against my head is not what I want. My old Star Tac (best phone ever) got hot but the earpiece stayed relatively cool. With the treo, it seems the earpiece is the part that gets the most warm.
    That seems weird.

3) No quick access to time and alarm function. on my m515 accessing the clock and alarm settings was a click away.
    I use Bob's Alarm, and have it mapped to an Opt+button. It works great.

4) No one-button access to contacts? I did reassign the buttons, but there are too few of them.
    Use 2Day or Takephone or both. They provide access to both.

5) While browsing the web in bed last night I thought my eyes would suffer irreversible damage from the orange laser shooting into my face. Why is that LED so bright?
    Turn it down in the prefs. Or press Opt+right shift key to turn down the brightness on the fly.

6) Audio quality is poor. When having a conversation on the phone, the other person will often sound distorted during some of the peaks in the amplitude of the signal. It's not always distorted, only during the louder syllables. But, and this I aleady knew, despite the distortion, the sound is not loud. I must say that the overall volume is sufficient.
    I haven't had that problem.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Whine, whine, whine. Did you do any research before buying it? Did you go to a phone store and try one out? Everything you mention should be obvious if you did even a little bit of research in these forums.

If all you want to do is complain, then you might as well send the phone back and go somewhere else. If you want to learn how to make the Treo a better device, spendsome time reading these forums, learn about the thousands of software products available (many of them free or dirt cheap), and then ask some specific questions about things you haven't found the answer to.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone
    OK I received my Treo 650 yesterday. I was pretty excited after many, many years of low-res screens (m515), b/w screens (Palm Pro, III, V,) carrying two devices (palm and phone), I couldn't wait to play with my Treo! But I have a bunch of complaints that might have me returning the 650 and going for the T5 and a bluetooth phone (v710). Please tell me there are workarounds for these problems:

Double tap the link. Or use the Left/Right on the 5-way to navigate through the links and hit the middle button on the 5 way to select it.

Check your cache settings? How much free space do you have?

And what web pages are you going to that are taking forever to load? If you expect it to load a page like msnbc in a flash, you've got unrealistic expectations.

I think you can on pages that don't utilize javascript. - It'd be kinda silly to allow a user to click on a link that contains a javascript action before all the javascript is loaded.

Not sure what you mean here. I cancel page loads all the time. ANY browser is going to render what it got up until the time you cancelled it. This is normal behavior on any desktop browser.

Up/Down on the 5-way does page up/page down.

It's got a phone radio in it (which a lot of phones will get warm when talking on them for extended periods of time), you were charging the battery -- they get warm when you charge 'em ...it's a chemical reaction thang, it's got a large (for a phone) backlit screen that is still mostly on when you're on a call. It also has a more powerful cpu (which is going to generate more heat) than most phones. All that put together, passively cooled, and you expect it NOT to get warm? I bet you'd expect snowballs to last more than a few seconds in hell too. =)

Seriously tho. Get a case for it. I have the Innopocket hard case for the treo. It's made out of aluminum and on cold days...brr... On warm days it keeps the treo away from my ear a bit and the phone getting warm isn't so much of an issue.

4) No one-button access to contacts? I did reassign the buttons, but there are too few of them. And why is the side button push-and-hold?
    I bet you like to have your cake and eat it to, eh? =)

Lack of hard buttons has been a common complaint about the Treo650. You can have two button access to things using Option+Hard Button. Yes, lt is less convenient. But there are also some alternatives.

You can assign hot keys from the phone app in your favorites buttons. If you have your phone app up a lot (or get PowerUp to bring it up any time you turn on the treo) you can get your single key access that way. Plus your date and time is already on that screen. There is also another utility whose name escapes me at the moment that lets you assign apps to any key on the keyboard and you can access them from just about anywhere by pressing and holding that key.

Get Butler or another utility to control the LED.

You didn't say which carrier you are with so it's hard to say if it's a voice quality issue with their network or if you were using the speaker phone or just may need to get the latest firmware on your phone. There have been voice quality issues with the treo in the past. Most of them were fixed with the latest firmware upgrades. Some were just bad batches of hardware. I, my friend who just got one, and many other people here have no voice quality issues whatsoever. YMMV

OK, ok, deep breaths. I'm sure a lot of this can be fixed with downloads and just learning the system better. So please, tell me this will get better! Can anyone address the heat issue if nothing else? That's the real killer for me. Thanks and sorry for the rant.

Yes, they can. But really you sound like someone who did absolutely NO research before purchasing the product and paniced when it didn't meet up with your assumptions about the product. Always ALWAYS research any electronic device before you make a purchase. The money you save may be your own!

=)
    I agree with meyerweb. Most of the issues you described can be easily remedied by setting a few preferences and trying out 3rd party software (free or trial).
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    I too agree with srjazz, and heberman. I have my 650 for 3 days now, and I have no complaints. I was on a 52 minute phone call today, and it did get warm, but it wasn't any hotter than other cell phones that I have had. I am still customizing buttons, but I love what I see so far. I am frankly very happy with it, and enjoy using it. I think that after less than 24 hours of use, it is a bit premature to trash it.
    Take a deep breath, read these forums, read the manual, use the menu button. If you are charging while on the phone, it probably will get hot. For the quick access to programs, including the WorldClock, set up your favorites buttons to use push-and-hold buttons. There are about 30 buttons or more you can set up to access programs with one press. Don't know why Blazer seems slow. It ain't high-speed, but it is quicker than the 600. For the LED, get Ledoff.

I love my Verizon 650 and bet a lot of the problems people have are either because they don't read the manual, put a bunch of old software on their palm, have never had a palm, or are computer challenged. Granted, the Treo is not for someone who has trouble programming a vcr or making a shortcut on their Windows desktop. (I'm not saying you are, just that after reading these boards, that's what I see a lot.)
  9.    #9  
    I wanted to reply to all you guys real quick, but a longer response will come in a few days when I have more time. First, I apologize for my initial hasty post. I knew I should have waited a couple days but I was so disappointed I just couldn't help myself.

Now, first, I just want to say, I did a TON of research before getting the 650. I knew about the poor bluetooth implementation. I knew about the lack of broadband. I knew about the low audio volume on some units. I knew about how VZW crippled some features. I read a huge amount on this site and many others. Where I went wrong was focusing too much on certain details (looking into Shadowmite hacks, trying to figure out if I can dialup to my network, etc.) and not seeing the forest through the trees. I was so caught up with figuring out the DUN issues that I never really considered that the built-in web browser would be a let-down or that the LED would be blinding. I stupidly assumed that since the processor is many times faster than my previous Palm that the browser would be great, even at the ISDN-like speeds. FWIW, I was browing the PalmOne website when I had my horrible experience! It literally took me about 10 minutes to get to the T5 page to find out about rebates with all the problems and sluggishness I encountered. And to the post above who mentioned MSNBC, that site actually loads quite quick. How do you like that, MSNBC is great and Palm's own site stinks on my Palm PDA??? Bottom line is that I did searches on this forum about my specific concerns and didn't do enough general browsing--that I definetly admit was stupid.

Anyways, I'll have more to say soon, but please accept my apology for trashing the unit before really getting into it. I'm now 2-days in and I'm probably going to have to exchange it for anew one to resolve the distorted audio (the volume is fine, it's just distorted) and a flakey 5-way rocker. But aside from that, I'm staring to love it! It's a dream to have the Palm OS integrated into my phone and to only have to carry one device!!! More later.....