1.    #1  
    I tried to call SprintPCS to see if I can have my number transferred over to the Palmone T650 that I purchased from O-Max. The Sprint Rep told me that I couldn't transfer the number over b/c the ESN # was not in their databases.

I was just wondering about Earthlink. I'm sure in the near future they'll have more wireless phones, but I dont see any on their website. How about Earthlink phone-to-phone mins? Will they offer that for free, like sprintpcs-to-pcs mins?
  2.    #2  
    WTF!!! I just called Earthlink Wireless to ask some questions about the phone and they were closed! How many ppl work there....? The office hours are 8am-10pm 7 days a week. I dont know about this service. If Im going to go w/ a wireless provider I have to know that I will be able to get support 24 hours a day.
  3.    #3  
    I got in touch with an Earthlink Rep to ask a few questions about the service. I spoke w/ one CS rep who was somewhat clueless. I asked her how long in length is the contract. (the contract is one year) she told me it was one year but she wasnt too confident when she told me. I asked if they had free Earthlink mobile to mobile minutes. She told me they dont have that. When I asked 4 a Tech rep she was more than willing to pass the call off to some other sap as she quickly transferred me and didnt even say thanks for calling.

The Tech rep was a little more knowledgeable. I asked him what would happen if the service goes down. He said that the service runs off Sprint Networks and they would open up a trouble ticket for sprint and that sprint would get back to them on some sort of a solution. On a small insignificant note, Earthlink has no online bill pay, so you would have to either pay by setting up an automatic charge from you credit card or mail in payments.
    Does the Earthlink phone only work on Sprint networks? How about Verizon or Cingular?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahuna
    Does the Earthlink phone only work on Sprint networks? How about Verizon or Cingular?

The tech rep told me they run on Sprints networks. He said nothing about VZN, although I heard many users on this site say that they run on VZN too. I've heard that the higher minute-higher cost voice plans fall on VZN networks, while the lower minute-lower cost voice plans fall on Sprint networks
    Quote Originally Posted by alreadylinked
    The tech rep told me they run on Sprints networks. He said nothing about VZN, although I heard many users on this site say that they run on VZN too. I've heard that the higher minute-higher cost voice plans fall on VZN networks, while the lower minute-lower cost voice plans fall on Sprint networks
    I could be wrong, but it LOOKs like you'll be on Sprint's network with roaming on Verizon. I'm just going on what the "coverage map" looks like (which is basically identical to the Sprint map.)
    I think someone checked in to the whole rate plan = Sprint vs. Verizon and found that this was not true, that it's all just Sprint w/ Verizon roaming.
    I'm not totally sure though.

BTW, you it won't work on Cingular. Earthinlink is a CDMA phone (Sprint/Verizon) and Cingular & TMobile are GSM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  7.    #7  
    I activated earthlink on my treo monday. so far I have yet 2 have probs with it. everything is running smooth. the srvce runs on sprint and vzn networks so you should be fine as long as nothing goes wrong on their networks.
  8. GXX
    WTF!!! I just called Earthlink Wireless to ask some questions about the phone and they were closed! How many ppl work there....? The office hours are 8am-10pm 7 days a week. I dont know about this service. If Im going to go w/ a wireless provider I have to know that I will be able to get support 24 hours a day.
    It's not as bad as Nextel, they don't work on weekends. Kind of strange...
    I spent over 2 hours on the phone w/ Earthlink to figure out why my Net access stopped working. After Every possible re-set / re-flasch etc you could think of, they gave up and said someone would call me back. 5 hours later no call back, so I thought I'd simply turn it on 'just to see' and it magically worked. No call back, no explaination. Needless to say, I now own a Verizon Treo, and am trying to return the Earthlink one.

Note: In my attempt to de-activate my Earthlink service they are claiming I must First return the phone to OfficeMax, I'm on hold while they confirm How OfficeMax is going to cancel my service...

These guys have lots of work to do if they want to keep customers...
    Think you're attempting to call their Activiation Line which is open the above hours you describe (NOT 24 hours). Their Tech Support line though is 24/7/365. Before I even went to Office Max and got the phone last week, I called Earthlink at 3am Eastern time and chatted with one of the techs re: their service for about 20 minutes. The guy was pleasant and fairly knowledgable.
    The Earthlink Treo 650 service runs off the Sprint network with roaming provided by other CDMA carriers... it's their Blackberry service which runs off Verizon.

I'm here in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia (Martinsburg) -- about 90 miles west of Washington, DC -- and have had my Earthlink Treo for almost a week now. Picked it up at Office Max last Saturday and activated it Sunday morning. Simple process and I was up n' running without a hassle. To date, the service has been rock solid... the coverage on Sprint better than I would have imagined out here in the "sticks". I've got data service in areas clearly outside the printed regional Sprint network map. My current provider is US Cellular. They along with Sprint have the CDMA market locked-up here in Eastern WV (Verizon is just across the border in nearby MD, VA & PA). My Earthlink Treo roams just fine on USCC and VZW, although I RARELY find myself off Sprint towers (even WAY out in the sticks in Back Creek Valley).

I did give serious consideration to just going with Sprint over Earthlink but 1) I'm in a Sprint-affiliate market so the roaming package sucks ($10/month for 50 "roaming" minutes), 2) Earthlink contract is 12 months and 3) the local Office Max had a heckuva deal going on the Treo through last week (June 18th).

The lack of on-line billing options / account access with Earthlink doesn't bother me. Been with US Cellular for almost six years and they don't know what that is either

My only reservations with Earthlink are 1) lack of a phone insurance plan, 2) can't easily go to the neighborhood Earthlink store and get a cheap loaner if the Treo goes down for whatever reason and 3) will Sprint and PalmOne keep Earthlink current with "updates" (i.e. PRL revisions, Treo firmware updates, etc.) or will us Earthlinkers be looked upon as "red-headed stepchildren" and always kept a few steps behind (no offense meant towards any redheads!)
    I just signed up for the Treo 650 on Earthlink. I'm paying $249 + $25 activation 24 month contract with a 30 day out. I figured that would be enough time for me to decide if their service is up to snuff. I'm buying through a company called Connection E. Earthlink has it for $199 after rebates on their site, but they raised their "e-mail" charge to $29.95. I'm paying $19.95 + 500 minutes for $39.95.

The service runs on the Sprint network, and they claim that it will roam to other carriers for free. Data only works on Sprint though.

Once I get the phone I'll run it through its paces and see if it and Earthlink are for real. I just couldn't put up with Sprint's attitude any more. Yesterday I was trying out the 650 at a Sprint Store and dealt with two reps who were clueless boobs. Then called Sprint CS and spoke to a guy in their retention group who answered the call with the happy greating, "Hello Cancellation" and proceeded to offer me "deals" on 3 year old phones (No I really don't want a Samsung i500). I genuinely think that Sprint wants out of the front end phone business and really just wants to be an infrastructure company.

http://www.connectione.com/static/st...etails_342.htm
    Good luck with EarthStink
    I've had nothing but trouble from those clueless clowns! I've now spent 6 hours on the phone over 2 months trying to get them to Cancel my account. Every ***** that I talk to agrees, my account was closed in June (5 days after I activated it because their data network kept dropping me, and they had no clue why) but they keep billing me. No one knows why!
    Every phone call to them is the same. Please hold... Please Hold .... I have no idea why we're billing you... please hold.... I might be able to reverse some of the charges, but my computer does not allow me to reverse them all. !@!@#$%@$
    Tonight I noticed they just billed me for July-Aug!
    and that's after they credited my bogus June-July bill 5 days ago....

This is the same ignorance that I got when I first got the phone, and their data network refused to authenticate me. After 2 hours of phone support (not!) I had every access code known and re-flashed the Phone/ROM 10 times. No go... then after sitting the phone on my desk for 5 hours, it suddenly worked. No call back from them Ever, no changes to the phone, didn't even move it, it simply started working. (And they still claim their network was not the issue... Right!)

I now own a Verizon and it works Great!

Good Luck!
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    any of you folks with earthlink using the totalaccess software? IS there a download link you can share?

I'd like to try it out on my vz treo. I have earthlink dsl at home and work so i'd like to try out the totalaccess for palm too.