1.    #1  
    Hello all,

I may have made a physical Freudian slip when I accidently dropped my troublesome Verizon Treo 600 in a (clean) toilet, but I now have a reason to get a much desired Treo 650. Now to figure out how to go about doing it...

Right my my T600 is DOA - it won't power up, not even with power adapter. I have the Verizon insurance for my Treo 600, but I'm not sure if "flushing it down the toilet" is covered. Does anyone know if it is, and if not, would the repair center be able to figure out what happened if I didn't tell them?

If Verizon does offer me a replacement T600, would I be able to ask for a credit towards a new T650? How much would that be?

Lastly, I still have the same "data minute = voice minute" plan that came with my Kyocera 6035. Would this plan work with the T650? Note that this plan didn't work well with the T600. The phone would connect on it's own to the data network, costing me time and money to clear up the changes. (This past month, it even called up two old girlfriends on its own and got me in worse trouble.)

I've been reading through the Sprint/Verizon forum trying to get a feel for which is the better deal. Thus far, the consensus seems to be that both plans are losers. The Verizon plans cost more, but give better coverage; the Sprint plans are the opposite in both aspects. Neither provider seems to have consistent/knowledgable sales folks. What's an old PalmPilot 100 user to do???

Thanks for your help!
    Ian
    Last edited by Ian Douglas; 06/19/2005 at 09:22 PM.
    I am not sure if this will help but a few years ago when I had Verizon I dropped my phone in the water and after it dried out I took it into a store and they gave me a replacement via the warranty.

Of course it was not an expensive smart phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Douglas
    Hello all,

I may have made a physical Freudian slip when I accidently dropped my troublesome Verizon Treo 600 in a (clean) toilet, but I now have a reason to get a much desired Treo 650. Now to figure out how to go about doing it...

Right my my T600 is DOA - it won't power up, not even with power adapter. I have the Verizon insurance for my Treo 600, but I'm not sure if "flushing it down the toilet" is covered. Does anyone know if it is, and if not, would the repair center be able to figure out what happened if I didn't tell them?

If Verizon does offer me a replacement T600, would I be able to ask for a credit towards a new T650? How much would that be?

Lastly, I still have the same "data minute = voice minute" plan that came with my Kyocera 6035. Would this plan work with the T650? Note that this plan didn't work well with the T600. The phone would connect on it's own to the data network, costing me time and money to clear up the changes. (This past month, it even called up two old girlfriends on its own and got me in worse trouble.)

I've been reading through the Sprint/Verizon forum trying to get a feel for which is the better deal. Thus far, the consensus seems to be that both plans are losers. The Verizon plans cost more, but give better coverage; the Sprint plans are the opposite in both aspects. Neither provider seems to have consistent/knowledgable sales folks. What's an old PalmPilot 100 user to do???

Thanks for your help!
    Ian

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...light=wet+treo
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

If you have insurance, do a replacement/exchange. EBay the T600, and buy the T650. It's the honorable thing to do.
    Mine had screen problems so they had to send a replacement under warranty (for free) so I asked about an upgrade to 650. No dice. Even thought I was willing to pay for an upgrade and especially since they would be sending me a replacment 600 it seemed like a reasonable idea but there's no upgrade to 650. If and when they stop shipping 600's then it might happen.

My understanding of the insurance it's a $50 deductable and it's supposed to cover everything, including accidental dropping.
    Doesn't insurance cover loss, as in totally lost. Pretend it is flat out missing.
  7.    #7  
    I spoke to four Verizon reps today and got four different stories. In the end, I bought a new Treo 650 at full price of $520 in order to keep my old "data minute = voice minute" plan. It would've cost me $300 for a new 2 yr plan including the $100 "time for a new phone" discount, but some data plan was required. With the unlimited data plan costing an additional $50/month, I figure I would make up the difference in the phone cost in 4-1/2 months.

I will pay the $50 deductible to get a T600 replacement, and sell it on eBay or to a friend. The most knowledgable rep I spoke with said it could work for any Verizon customer.

Regarding the data access, I was surprised to learn that the red end call button on the T650 does NOT disconnect a data call like it did on my old Kyocera 6035. I dig around the other threads for a solution.

Thanks,
    Ian
    Ian,

Check out Battery Doctor. It can be set up to disconnect the data session when the screen is turned off.

Works on my 600, but has apparently been abandoned. May work on your 650.

Please let me know if MOU continues to work for you. I've heard that whenever Treos are now activated, they require a data plan to complete the activation. This is one of the big things keeping me from upgrading. I paid full nut on my 600, and like you would probably do the same on the 650, but I'd have to be assured that MOU would still work.
  9.    #9  
    Battery Doctor rocks!!!

I installed it after getting an 6 hr MMS call from my brother. He sent a Pic to me overnight and my Treo remained connected to the data network until I shut it off when I awoke in the morning.

By configuring Battey Doctor to disconnect the data radio on power off, and the Power prefs to auto-off after one minute, my Treo now disconnects from the data network on its own shortly after receiving a MMS message. I can also easily disconnect from the data network when using Blazer by hitting the End Call button, which powers off the Palm (but not Phone), just like on my old Kyocera 6035.

Woo-hoo!
    Ian