Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi

Yesterday I dropped my phone and when I picked it up, half of the screen was a solid blue. I called Sprint and they told me that I would have to replace my phone. Up until this point I have had ZERO problems with my Treo 600. ZERO!!!

They are sending me a replacement as I write this and it should be here in 2 days. The insurance saved me. $50 deductible is all I paid and I get a new phone.

Now, I am a bit nervous cause the replacement I get may not be as solid as my phone now (I have heard stories of replacements being trouble), but at least it will be a quick deal and I can move on.

50 bucks vs. 400
    For the most part I agree with you, but let me raise a couple of points.

Your new Treo isn't costing you $50. It's costing $50 + whatever you paid in insurance premiums since you got it.

Your new Treo isn't going to be new. It'll be reconditioned. What does a used Treo cost?

What's the difference in cost between your total outlay (premiums + deductible) vs. a used 600?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    For the most part I agree with you, but let me raise a couple of points.

Your new Treo isn't costing you $50. It's costing $50 + whatever you paid in insurance premiums since you got it.

Your new Treo isn't going to be new. It'll be reconditioned. What does a used Treo cost?

What's the difference in cost between your total outlay (premiums + deductible) vs. a used 600?

However, that 'used/reconditioned' T600 will have a 6 month warranty (full), vs none for a used T600 from ebay....

Just my $.02
  4.    #4  
    64 bucks in insurance, plus 50 bucks.

I think I made out pretty well

I do see what you are saying however.
    Quote Originally Posted by voorson
    64 bucks in insurance, plus 50 bucks.

I think I made out pretty well

I do see what you are saying however.
    For future insurance purposes you may be better off going with an actual insurance company. For example, State Farm quoted me only $36/year for a "Personal Articles Policy" that covers theft, damage and "mysterious disappearance" of $2000 of personal items with zero deductible.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I have the Total Equipment Protection as well. I got it when I bought my first Treo 650 for personal use. I recently got a Treo 650 through work and am selling my personal one on eBay right now. I bought an LG PM-325 to replace it. The PM-325 is no where near as expensive as the Treo, so I'm considering cancelling the insurance. Any way you think about it, $50 plus the $60 in service fees per year is less than a replacement of just about any phone. Even if you have an old phone, you may get something completely different if it's too old to keep in stock.

Joe
    For future reference, Sprint has a $10 in-store Total Equipment Protection option. If you have TEP (the $5 a month covers it) and the phone is out of warranty but not physically damaged (say your warranty just ended and your phone kicked the proverbial bucket), we can replace it in-store, either by exchanging the phone that day (if it's in stock) or by ordering your replacement, in which case it works exactly the same as a DHRP and will arrive within three to five business days -- and you only pay ten bucks.

Meghan Edmonds
    Technical Service Representative

Sprint PCS, Brookwood
    1925 Peachtree Road
    Atlanta, GA 30309
    Voice: 404.351.2225
    Fax: 404.350.7266
    The phone company insurance might be a little higher but a lot easier than dealing with actual insurance company.
    Quote Originally Posted by ergosum
    For future reference, Sprint has a $10 in-store Total Equipment Protection option. If you have TEP (the $5 a month covers it) and the phone is out of warranty but not physically damaged (say your warranty just ended and your phone kicked the proverbial bucket), we can replace it in-store, either by exchanging the phone that day (if it's in stock) or by ordering your replacement, in which case it works exactly the same as a DHRP and will arrive within three to five business days -- and you only pay ten bucks.

HUH? Sorry a bit confused here... I have the $5 lockline insurance on my 650. Are you saying that you can get a replacement using this insurance directly through a Sprint store instead of calling lockline?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Yes, indeed. $10 will get you a replacement through the store. If you're lucky you can get one that day, but if the phone is not in stock it will need to be ordered. The conditions for using this insurance route are that there are no signs of physical or moisture damage to the phone (and of course that the phone is out of warranty). So long as you meet those conditions, you're good to go -- just tell your store sales rep that's what you'd like to do.

The $50 deductible option will take you through lock/line, and is designed for folks who have lost or otherwise damaged their phones. (Water damage, running over it with a car, ketchup in the battery compartment -- seen 'em all)

Meghan Edmonds
    Technical Service Representative

Sprint PCS, Brookwood
    1925 Peachtree Road
    Atlanta, GA 30309
    Voice: 404.351.2225
    Fax: 404.350.7266
    I currently have this sprint maintenance plan for my 600 and other phones. Just had a phone replaced for $10, no problems (maint. plan is also through lockline). Question, I would like to buy a treo 650 from this forum or Ebay, in place of one of my regular phones. Would such a phone be covered by insurance and maintence plan? Or does the phone have to be purchased through Sprint?
    You can put TEP on any phone, regardless of where it is purchased, provided you do it within 30 days of activation.

Just ask the Rep for it when you activate the phone.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    You can put TEP on any phone, regardless of where it is purchased, provided you do it within 30 days of activation.

Just ask the Rep for it when you activate the phone.
    NOW ya tell me!! Sheesh!
    What do you mean "NOW you tell me"... When was I supposed to tell you???
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    NOW ya tell me!! Sheesh!
    I'm in the same boat ----- how can we get TEP or insurance, if our 30 days is up?

I'm tempted to de-activate the phone, and then, reactivate it -----

bad idea?
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    What do you mean "NOW you tell me"... When was I supposed to tell you???
    Well...in the first 30 days of my contract, silly. :-P ;-)

Do you mention this to your customers whenever you sign up a new Sprint customer?? 'Cause I've been in the local Sprint store here several times and have never heard of that once...never seen it documented anywhere. It's all news to me.
    Last edited by grndslm; 07/20/2005 at 11:21 PM.
    I used to, but RadioShack employees are not allowed to offer TEP anymore.

It is an isnsurance product and all insurance products are licensed by each State and can only be sold by licensed Agents. If my customers ask I have to refer them to Sprint CC.
    BTW it is all documented on the Sprint websitw.

www.sprintpcs.com
    Hmm....I can't believe I've never heard of this 'til now: Total Equipment Protection.

It says TEP is only $5/mo....that's what I'm paying just for the Equipment Replacement Program. I can't believe that I could have TEP for no extra cost!! AHH!!!
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    As far as I know, all ERP plans have been replaced with TEP sometime late last year. Yours should have been automatically updated. Easiest way to verify is look at how much it costs. ERP was $4. If you're paying $5, it's TEP.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast