Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by idlepaw
    As far as I know, all ERP plans have been replaced with TEP sometime late last year. Yours should have been automatically updated. Easiest way to verify is look at how much it costs. ERP was $4. If you're paying $5, it's TEP.
    Awesome...I already have TEP! I guess I can save some money whenever I complain about my alt and right-shift keys not working well. I thought I was going to have to wait until I really broke it before I'd get it fixed...now it looks like it'll be much sooner.
    Two little details that might be of help:

1) FYI, if a problem is at all connection or network-related, Sprint may offer a replacement unit even without coverage. This may not be something to "bank on", but I've received replacement units for both Treo 600 & Treo 650 at a Sprint Store just b/c those systems were acting erratic. in both cases, the rep went in the back & got a new (or refurb, to be honest) Treo, ran their tests after activating it, then handed it to me. I backed up my data to an SD-based program, wiped the data from my Treos, and restored it onto the new ones.
    I never had a problem with either of the replacement units, but they assured me that if I did, they'd replace those too until we got it working. In this case, Sprint's own in-store CS was better! No deductible, no premiums, but 2 replacement phones....
    I've never paid for any Sprint warranty or replacement plans, since the carrier-affiliated insurers are usually user-UNfriendly.

2) Instead, I have the personal property coverage with my standard insurance that covers loss of use (w/ some restrictions), theft, etc, for ~$4/mo, and this covers not only my Treo, but also ANY other personal property (2 laptops, 1 tablet PC, peripherals, etc) up to $2500/year. Another poster mentioned this & I think it's DEFINITELY worth looking into. Also, your primary insurance provider has a much greater stake in your loyalty than the (often low-profile & heretoday-gonetomorrow) carrier-recommended insurers.

I say this after going through replacement plans with 3 different cellular carriers over the years, all of which were a drag ("send in the unit & we'll ship a replacement upon receipt" or "sorry, that's not covered", not to mention the deductible that shouldn't really be there if you've been paying for the policy already!). I'm glad that policy paid off for one of the first posters here, but I wouldn't count on it working for everyone, esp after that premium racks up 2+ years... If you need a new phone model, you still pay out of pocket! Hmmm.

Just some food for thought.
    All the Best,
    Mindfull
    From the Desk Of....
    MindFull
    SF Bay~
    The Treo 650: Crisp & Clean, but the RAM is lean!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Ergosum, Thank you for the information in posts #7 and 10 about the in-store option - that explains a lot. And will help me tomorrow when I take mine back to be replaced.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Ergosum, I was told by a supervisor at the San Antonio Store, Mr. Ruiz, that no one who works for Sprint would ever post on one of these boards.
    story here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...549#post779549
    I tried to laugh, but it had already been a long day.

Thanks for the info, even though I'm afraid it didn't help me this time.
    The equipment protection plan has definitely been worth it for me.

I bought a Treo 300 about 3-4 years ago from Amazon.com. After the amazon + sprint rebates, it wound up costing me $150.

It went belly up about 9 months later with a battery that wouldn't hold a charge. I used the equipment protection plan to order a replacement. When the replacement came, it was a Treo 600.

Last year, I walked around the back of a truck and banged my pocketed Treo 600 into the bumper. No worky after that. TEP to the rescue again, new 600 3 days later.

Now I notice that Sprint no longer has the 600 on their website and wonder if the next time I break/lose a Treo, will it be replaced with a 650? Answer, probably.

So I am seeing TEP as 'obsolescence insurance' and for me it's definitely worth the $5/mo.
    Quote Originally Posted by ergosum
    Yes, indeed. $10 will get you a replacement through the store. If you're lucky you can get one that day, but if the phone is not in stock it will need to be ordered. The conditions for using this insurance route are that there are no signs of physical or moisture damage to the phone (and of course that the phone is out of warranty). So long as you meet those conditions, you're good to go -- just tell your store sales rep that's what you'd like to do.

The $50 deductible option will take you through lock/line, and is designed for folks who have lost or otherwise damaged their phones. (Water damage, running over it with a car, ketchup in the battery compartment -- seen 'em all)
    Hello Megan,

I was wondering if you can point to an offical site on Sprint that states this in store replacement policy?

We have a problem with a Sanyo 5500 (which is out of warranty) on our shared plan and I would like to get it replaced. When I went to the local Sprint store to ask for an in store replacement for $10 fee, they said there was no such thing and that I would have to go through Lockline. There is no discernable physical damage to the phone or water damage etc, but it just fails to connet to the network consistantly anymore and just does not work. I would appreciate if I could take in some proof from Sprint site itself so I could avoid paying the $50 deductible... THanks...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    My 650 is still functional, but looking pretty beat up and ugly (crack on plastic casing around screen, chipped paint all around, hariline crack on the side of unit)

Anyone know if I can use my TEP to get a new or Refurb unit in better condition?
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Sorry to beat a dead horse but I am still confused. I pay for lockline insurance. Is that the same as sprint total equitment protection?
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    So my Treo has a busted headset jack. I've already used up one replacement from Lockline this year. Can I go to the store, walk out with a replacement for $10, and not have it count as the second replacement in the Lockline system?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Since it seems this thread is fully revived now from a year ago, I'll add to it. I was all set to get the $5 or $6 a month insurance when I move to Sprint for the 700p (since Cingular has never offered the insurance), but after reading one of the first posts about using State Farm (which carries all my insurance anyway) I was intrigued. I called and the cost is $3.50 per $100 of phone cost per year, so at full retail of $650, the 700p will be $22.75 a year. This covers damage, theft, loss, etc. I said so if my kids drop it ... "yep its covered", if I lose it ... "covered" and with no deductible. Nice thing is that State Farm cuts a check on the spot for these smaller items too. When I purchase the phone with a credit card, it automatically doubles the manufacturers warranty up to an additional year. So for $22.75 a year, I will have protection against damage, theft or just loosing it, and a 2 year warranty against the phone not working without damage. Is there any reason to spend $60+ a year on the lockline then or am I missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by noahas
    Since it seems this thread is fully revived now from a year ago, I'll add to it. I was all set to get the $5 or $6 a month insurance when I move to Sprint for the 700p (since Cingular has never offered the insurance), but after reading one of the first posts about using State Farm (which carries all my insurance anyway) I was intrigued. I called and the cost is $3.50 per $100 of phone cost per year, so at full retail of $650, the 700p will be $22.75 a year. This covers damage, theft, loss, etc. I said so if my kids drop it ... "yep its covered", if I lose it ... "covered" and with no deductible. Nice thing is that State Farm cuts a check on the spot for these smaller items too. When I purchase the phone with a credit card, it automatically doubles the manufacturers warranty up to an additional year. So for $22.75 a year, I will have protection against damage, theft or just loosing it, and a 2 year warranty against the phone not working without damage. Is there any reason to spend $60+ a year on the lockline then or am I missing something?
    What exactly does 'on the spot' mean? I lose my phone, go to the Sprint Store same day, buy a new one, send them the receipt and a claim form and they send me a check in a week?

Some people have said that claims against your phone could affect your home policy.

Regarding the CC warranty extension - how long does that take to process? If I'm out a week for a phone, it's useless to me.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    On the spot - I haven't yet got coverage on this particular program since I just called State Farm today, but I also have their "road hazard" coverage (which is an AWESOME deal for $5 every 6 months), so if you need a tow, run out of gas, flat tire, etc. You call whomever you need to locally for service, pay for the service yourself, and bring the receipt in to the local State Farm office and they write you a check to reimburse you on the spot. As far as the claim affecting your home policy?? Got me, check with the agent on that one.

The CC warranty extension - This a am very familiar with. I have used it twice, once, my plasma TV with a one year warranty had a video board go bad in its 23rd month of usage. I called the CC company to report it, started the claim, as soon as I got them what they needed (estimate, copy of warranty, CC statement showing original purchase) I received a check for the $1400 repair within a week. Second time, my laptop computer hard drive went bad in about the 14th month (1 yr warranty as well). I needed to get it fixed regardless, so I did it whether the CC was going to reimburse me or not. I sent them again the required docs, which showed the replacement hard drive as well as the labor to try to fix it, as well as the labor to reinstall Windows, etc. and 10 days later got a check for $450. In both cases I was expecting the worst and having to argue for my rights, etc. but both situations could not have been more painless, in fact with the hard drive issue, I was only hoping to have the cost for the part reimbursed, the labor was a very nice bonus.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by noahas; 05/25/2006 at 01:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    I used to, but RadioShack employees are not allowed to offer TEP anymore.

It is an isnsurance product and all insurance products are licensed by each State and can only be sold by licensed Agents. If my customers ask I have to refer them to Sprint CC.
    That sounds right. But my problem is with "If my customers ask . . . ." We shouldn't have to ask. I understand about state regulations and that unlicensed insurance brokers can't offer insurance. But there's always away around these things. And any decent salesman can figure out how to inform the customer that insurance is available without offering insurance.

I had no idea Sprint had these programs available and it was never mentioned when I bought/activated the Treo. For a $150 phone, I wouldn't have even considered it. For a $600 phone, you bet your sweet bippy I would.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    RadioShack did that to sell their own extended service plan, I found out.

As far as the "any decent Salesman" comment. Unless you've actually worked for RS as a sales rep don't even try to tell me the "right" way to sell. I did offer my customers options to protect their investment, just because you disagree with what was offered doesn't mean you know anything about sales or RS policies. Get off the high horse and don't tell me my business.

I now work for Sprint and ALWAYS offer TEP. But I couldn't even mention it let alone add it at RS...corporate policy in an attempt to sell more of their own service plan.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    I apologize, Dragonman. My comment was not directed at you personally. And I was not trying to tell anyone "the right way to sell" anything, or trying to tell anyone their business.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    As a follow up, if someone does NOT have the TEP plan, and there is a phone malfunction (not damage inflicted), and the phone is bought through inphonics (SERO plan), are we able to take it into the local sprint store for repair/replacement while in warranty? Or is it more of a hassle than that?
    Ok, just logged into my account on Sprint's website and I have this under "Your Current Plan":

Sprint PCS Total Equipment Protection $6.00

Is that the same thing as the TEP thing you guys are talking about? If so, when I get my 700P and once it's out of warranty, if it breaks I can go to a Sprint store pay $10 and get a new 700P?

Does it matter that I bought it directly from Palm?
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    I bought a Treo 300 in the summer of 2001. In the winter of 2004/2005 it died. I was planning on buying a treo 650 at the time anyways, but as it was insured I got it replaced from lockline and they gave me a 600. I gave that to my dad (as a new line on our family plan, as he recently retired and didn't have a phone from work) and got a 650. a month or so ago, the phone (my dad's 650) stopped being able to send and recieve calls (worked perfectly as a PDA). My dad took it to the local sprint store and they replaced it for free.

so essentially we've had a 300->600->650 + monthly insurance + 1 deductable (think it was $30 at the time) for free upgrades .

I'm wondering how long I have to hold onto my current 650 in order to continue this trend, as it will eventually break. the bigger question is, when they aren't stocking the 650 anymore and would replace it w/ the 700, would they force me to upgrade from vision to power vision.
    There were far more 650s manufactured than 600s and 300s, probably combined. I'd think there would be a 650 replacement refurb stock for 2-3+ more years.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    TEP=Total Equiment protection. It does not matter where you got the phone or even if the phone was used when you got it. If you have TEP or even the $3/mo ESRP You can have your phone repaired or replaced at any Sprint Store, Free of charge.(provided that there is no liquid damage or the phone is not damaged beyond repair, these conditions are handled thru Lock/line only, with a $50 deductible and the phone is shipped to you. this is the other part of TEP.)

If you don't have ESRP or TEP you can still have the phone serviced under the same conditions as previously stated, but there is a $15, $35 or $55 charge (plus tax).

I accept the apology offered above, and if it appears I flew off the handle offer one in return. There has been an inordinate amount of Sprint Rep bashing lately and I probably misdirected my anger about that at you.

HTH clarify Sprint service questions.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast