Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Question: palmOne's instructions to install the new SprintPCS update say you have to be using the latest Treo 650 version of Palm Desktop. I have Palm Desktop V4.1 that came with my Tapwave Zodiac installed on my only XP computer. (The newer Palm Desktops won't work at all on my older 98 computer). Is it absolutely required to have the Treo 650 bundled version of Palm Desktop installed, or will this update work through the older version of Palm Desktop?

The way PalmSource engineered Palm Desktop, you can only have one version of it installed on any given computer. If I install the Treo 650 version, it'll over-write and wipe out the Tapwave Zodiac version, which has a bunch of custom buttons on the left for installing music, photos, videos, and other stuff to a Zodiac. I am very leery of installing the newer Palm Desktop and then, later, re-installing the Zodiac specific version.

Have ANY of you performed this new update using an older version of Palm Desktop or are ALL of you using the version that came with your Treo 650?

I'm not even going to try this update until I can get some kind of definitive answer.

Thanks,

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    BTW, I too am concerned about BT DUN being built in now. I was honestly surprised by this move and now that they've done it I fully expect to hear about some great new enterprise-oriented pricing plan by Sprint for the officially-sanctioned use of this. Expect to pay $50/month for the pleasure. I'd love to be wrong, though.
    Thankfully, you probably are.

Keep in mind that the treo 650 isn't the only phone with Bluetooth DUN. The LG PM 325 has it (and has even had some firmware fixes done for it), and prior to that, the SonyEricsson T608 had it. In neither case did/does Sprint charge extra.

I think as long as you don't go overboard on the usage, you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Did the update this morning. All looks well! Definitely like the functionailty.

Once minorly annoying side effect of the keyboard dimming with the screen, however, is that Palm is "dimming" the LEDs by pulsing them. As a result, I can make out that the LEDs on the keys are actually flickering. Most can see this by looking at the Treo650's keys, and the waving the device in front of your field of vision without actually tracking the keys with your eyes (you'll see sort of a strobe effect). I, however, see the flickering ALL the time (but then I'm known to be more perceptive of things like this than most). The onyl way to stop it is to turn screen brightnes ALL the way up.

Ah well, it's bearable I guess.
    I noticed the same exact thing. I can also watch the fluroscent lights cycle at 60Hz, and can see a monitor redraw at anything less than 75Hz. Drives me nuts. I use kblightsoff and rarely use kbd lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSam
    Hi - not to be a party pooper, but has anyone thought about this: I've been using Shadowmite's DUN patch for weeks - it's great btw - But does anyone think Sprint will be able to track usage of DUN minutes now that they have that functionality built into the phone? Remeber that it is a violation of TOS to use the phone as a wireless PC modem.

Again, I am just concerned. Any thoughts?
    Bear in mind that Shadowmite's DUN patch only re-revealed the DUN feature the vendor-specific ROM prevented you from seeing. The feature was always there... just not accessible w/o the SM patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by peaches
    Here's something new.. Anyone else have this?
    http://www.lannie.org/stuff/images/1x.bmp
    Two people kissing and one bar of signal? No. ;-)
    One bar of signal is a usual occurence in the signal eating house of death where I live..
    i would be lucky if i saw 2 bars in my house
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    I did lose button prefs and ringtones. The ringtones were copied over on the Hotsync, but I had to re-select them on the Tones section of Sound Prefs.
    I restored from BackupMan and did not loose any ringtones or settings. Got Lucky I guess. Like I stated earlier, I did all your steps except the restore was from Backupman and not hotsync. Worked like a charm.

Thanks,
    I have an odd one. I just followed the Sprint update procedure to the "T". Soft reboot and all...I had over 11.4 MB free on my 650. I did the firmware upgrade and now it seems to be in a continuous loop. It upgrades and updates, reboots, rinse - repeat and now I'm on the phoen with Sprint Tech Support to see if they can help. Anyone see this goofy deal? How did you get out of it?
    Great. I just went through the install process and it's forcing me to have my phone plugged into a charger. I topped off the battery this morning, so I shouldn't need it plugged in. I don't have the charger with me. Doh! Any way to get around this?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    All,

The new ROM has fixed the "Enable Local Network Time" double change problem!

Jeff
    Evilghost / Letsgoflyers :

Thanks for your helpful explanations...much appreciated!

I already have PdaNet installed, and this works perfectly. However, I can only use PdaNet properly with a USB cord to my laptop, as I cannot figure out my laptop bluetooth settings, which I don't mind.

Is BT DUN better than using PdaNet, in terms of reliability and/or speed? Or is it just simply more convenient because no USB cord is necessary? Maybe BT DUN will actually work for its bluetooth connection to my laptop, whereas I cannot figure out how to make bluetooth work with my PdaNet?

I'm just trying to figure out the advantage of having BT DUN, since I already use PdaNet.

Thanks guys! -Casey.
    Ok, well I just hotsynced again and it deleted all of my categories in my contacts. I'm doing a restore with backupman to get them back. I reccommend that when doing a second hotsync you change it temporarily so that your handheld overrides the pc.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    All,

The new ROM has fixed the "Enable Local Network Time" double change problem!

Jeff
    And it just keeps coming, doesn't it!
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    Evilghost / Letsgoflyers :

Thanks for your helpful explanations...much appreciated!

I already have PdaNet installed, and this works perfectly. However, I can only use PdaNet properly with a USB cord to my laptop, as I cannot figure out my laptop bluetooth settings, which I don't mind.

Is BT DUN better than using PdaNet, in terms of reliability and/or speed? Or is it just simply more convenient because no USB cord is necessary? Maybe BT DUN will actually work for its bluetooth connection to my laptop, whereas I cannot figure out how to make bluetooth work with my PdaNet?

I'm just trying to figure out the advantage of having BT DUN, since I already use PdaNet.

Thanks guys! -Casey.
    I actually think using PDANet is easier, but since BT DUN is free, that's what I'm using. If you always have a hotsync cable with you, no worries.
    I couldn't resist a very brief reappearance on this side of the board...

Congratulations to PalmOne on getting the Treo 650 to function as it should have when released almost 8 months ago. The patience of the faithful has been rewarded.

Personally, I went to the "Dark Side" with a PPC-6600, and I find it quite satisfactory, but to each his own.

Best of luck, everyone!
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tommytrc
    I have an odd one. I just followed the Sprint update procedure to the "T". Soft reboot and all...I had over 11.4 MB free on my 650. I did the firmware upgrade and now it seems to be in a continuous loop. It upgrades and updates, reboots, rinse - repeat and now I'm on the phoen with Sprint Tech Support to see if they can help. Anyone see this goofy deal? How did you get out of it?
    if you create a new user it should help you to get out of this loop
    Casey,

The only difference is that Bt DUN is wireless, whereas your setup (pdanet) uses the hotsync cable (wired). I could have sworne that pdanet could also be setup to use Bluetooth?
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    good news!

The Treo 650 now works with my Infiniti M45....
    UPDATE: My issue with the continuous looping firmware update is a KNOWN issue especially with folks who have once had Treo 600's and have upgraded to a 650..Hmmmm? I'm on hold with the tech gal at sprint, who is very nice. She will be right back and tell me what to do in this case...but apparently it is not new!