Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evilghost
    Here's the process I use everytime to update, and I don't have out of memory issues/etc.

1) Hotsync phone, to make sure I've got a good backup.
    2) Perform a hard-reset. The device is now clean with plenty of ram.
    3) Using Palm Desktop, create a new user called "Rom Update". Basically, click the "Edit Users" button. See attached image.
    4) Run the Rom Updater Tool, select "Rom Update" as the target user.
    5) Hotsync the Treo, when prompted to create a new profile, or existing profile, select the existing "Rom Update" user.
    6) The ROM files get copied over, the Treo 650 will update, then reboot/hard-reset.
    7) Hotsync, when prompted to create a new profile, or existing profile, select your original hotsync id. It will copy all your prefs, files, applications, etc over.
    8) Open Palm Desktop and remove the "Rom Update" user.

I leave the Firmware updater application at the [Next] screen the entire time. After step #6 is complete, I just hit [Cancel].

I think this is a cleaner way to do things because it prevents the remains of the firmware update being "backed up". It also ensures I"ve got plenty of RAM and that running applications won't interfere.
    Thanks evilghost. This update is beautiful! Now I have to decide if I want to give Versamail another shot. Hmmmm. Something tells me I'll be sticking with Snapper.
    I haven't had a problem with versamail since 1.08. Don't remember the last time I had a reset for anything. With versamail originally it was twice a day. I loaded the new firmware last night and everything appears to be great. Versamail got my gmail fine this morning as scheduled.
    Quote Originally Posted by shanta
    Reset the phone to factory defaults and let Vision reprovision itself, but you need the MSL code.

Here are the steps I took:

1). ##774#
    2). Hit/tap Reset To Factory Defaults
    3). Enter MSL Code
    4). Connect to vision which will force the phone to reprivison itself.

Once this is done, the "Unnamed" will be gone.
    Thanks for posting these intructions! I just called Customer Care, had them reprovision my Vision service (same as the steps above) and I'm good to go again.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoSaurus
    I'm on a Mac and followed the Mac instructions and have got a good update to 1.12. However, after deleting the 35 files in the backup folder and then doing another sync the 35 files return after each sync. Any ideas of how to stop that?
    Hi TreoSaurus,
    I'm on Mac OS 10.4.1, and the firmware update files I deleted from the backups folder have not returned (I just did another hot sync to doublecheck).

Perhaps deleting them from the backups folder (again) and then doing a hot sync with conduits set as "Desktop overwrites handheld" might be worth a try?

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    This is from the LifeDrive page regarding VersaMail 3.1:

"NEW - Version 3.1
    Attachment saving.
    Downloaded attachments are automatically saved to the VersaMail Attachments directory on the 4GB6 hard drive. Or you can also save attachments to a different location of your choice."

Does anyone see a chothis option after the update? We supposedly have version 3.1B now with 1.12.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    I haven't had a problem with versamail since 1.08. Don't remember the last time I had a reset for anything. With versamail originally it was twice a day. I loaded the new firmware last night and everything appears to be great. Versamail got my gmail fine this morning as scheduled.
    3.1B just froze up the first time I checked my mail. Back to Snapper.
    I lied before, I do have the "Connecting to Unnamed" issue. But, I don't care because the Vision service still works correctly, it's just a "naming" issue. I'm not that picky, so let it be "Unnamed"

Other than that, everything looks very solid and many annoyances have been fixed.
    Dialing much faster!!!! The light dimming trick is nice but it is a tad annoying working with KB lightsOff......I'm not complaining.... Thanks evilghost for the much cleaner updating process.

I'm also having the Sprint Vision provisioning problem but hopefully I can resolve that soon. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

NICE THREAD!
    I've heard that polar bear steaks are tough, but maybe if you marinated them in beer they'd turn out all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex

My BT Manager still says v 1.0(W), but in Zlaunchers file manager, BT Manager is not even listed there?!?
    Lower right hand corner of ZL file manager you'll see a drop down - make sure it says ROM
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex

Another new option
    > Phone > General Prefernces > [ ] Show Calendar Events

and the other one that was mentioned earlier

> Phone > General Prefernces > [ ] Blink green LED when in coverage

thank you!!! no more blinking green led when in coverage!
    Does the Treo updater suppose to run twice during the setup on my phone or is there a problem?
    Sorry that I haven't read the whole thread yet, but by the end of the 5th page, I've seen people with custom rom's do the update, but have given no word what the aftermath is.

I just did the update and have the quick tour, real player, versamail, etc, and was wondering if there was a way for me to avoid getting all those things I hated back.

On a happy note, even with it adding all that stuff, I've managed to gain 2.7 megs.

I hope Shadowmite updates the roms soon. I hate all this stuff and am too afraid to put an 08 cutom rom on it.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Hi - not to be a party pooper, but has anyone thought about this: I've been using Shadowmite's DUN patch for weeks - it's great btw - But does anyone think Sprint will be able to track usage of DUN minutes now that they have that functionality built into the phone? Remeber that it is a violation of TOS to use the phone as a wireless PC modem.

Again, I am just concerned. Any thoughts?
    its now going thru the Treo Updater on my phone for the third time what do I do to get this to stop?
    scandalex, I sure will! A pint for ALL the lucky downloaders of the 1.12 version, I will drink.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabulas
    anyone tried it yet? I only have 7 megs of ram.
    I updated without a problem. Free memory went from 13 to 17 mb, an unanticipated plus. Prior to the update, I had a quirk when deleting calls from the 'Call Log'. After every 7 deletions, the 650 reset itself. After the update I no longer see that happening. I just got the 650 about 1.5 weeks ago, and so far it seems to work just great.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSam
    Hi - not to be a party pooper, but has anyone thought about this: I've been using Shadowmite's DUN patch for weeks - it's great btw - But does anyone think Sprint will be able to track usage of DUN minutes now that they have that functionality built into the phone? Remeber that it is a violation of TOS to use the phone as a wireless PC modem.

I would doubt it...since BT DUN's very existance would constitute using the 650 as a "wireless PC modem".
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSam

I think if Sprint is giving us this ability then they are allowing it and it wouldn't be a violation - assuming you aren't using it an extreme amount. I'm not sure if they can track usage and tie it directly to DUN. They could notice excess data usage though. However, I stream audio about 4-hours Monday-Friday and have never head from Sprint about using excessive data.
    Franko515, KeyShades is working well on my Treo. No changes, seen. Good Luck!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I dont know if this has already been posted or if I never noticed it but if you go to the call log and hit menu there is an option called totals that gives your usage totals for Home network, Roaming,and Kilobytes sent/ received. It looks like it only keeps it until a reset then it is cleared because it says usage since last reset. It also lets you reset the counters manually.