Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've just spent the past 45 minutes going thru Customer Service Hell.

Prior to getting my 600 swapped (warranty exchange) I was one of the lucky ones for whom MOU was still working. I was very conservative in my data use - a few minutes here and there, only when I needed to check for an expected email.

When the replacement 600 arrived on Monday I called to activate it and added the unlimited data plan - was told it would be active after midnight. At 7pm on Monday, my peak minutes used were 53.

On Tuesday, I installed SnapperMail and set it up, tested quite a bit and used the web a lot. I made about 3 or 4 1-minute voice calls. At 8pm, my peak minutes used were 136.

On Wednesday I made no voice calls, but, used the web and set up another email account. At 11pm my peak minutes used were 139.

This morning, after making no voice calls, my peak minutes used are 279.

I called Data Tech Support and was told all is ok with my setup. He switched me to Customer Care. She said that she will note my account but she can't tell what I'm being charged for until the call details become available on the 9th of next month. She said that the usage report is only an estimate and it could be wrong due to rounding up. She just couldn't comprehend my argument that a 220 minute difference is not a rounding error. She switched me back to Data Tech Support

The 2nd Data rep gave me the same story, saying the usage is only an estimate.... rounding... etc. When I told him that at the rate my minutes are adding up I will be over my monthly allowance by this time Saturday, he said, "well, Saturday is free weekend minutes so you'll be ok." - totally clueless as to the problem.

I asked for a manager. She was unable to bring up my billing information so she transferred me back to a customer care rep who told me that the unlimited data feature was NOT added - well, it was added, but, it didn't make it to the switch and it needed to be added again. But, after she tried adding it, she said it was already there and that we need Data Tech Support to help figure out what's going on.

Back to Data Tech Support, where I started out... they were able to look at my usage details, both voice and data (but, they are not allowed to give me telephone numbers) and he confirmed that the voice usage DOES add up to 279 peak minutes and there have been calls every day including today. But, I haven't made any voice calls since Tuesday and my call log confirms that.

Any ideas as to what might be going on and what I need to do to get this resolved????

BTW, my online usage reports do NOT show any KB/MB usage. It appears to me that I'm still on MOU
    I've had my Treo 650 since May 26th. My total minutes are 1,154. I've never used that many minutes in my life. 20 days and I have been very conservative. Very little surfing and then saving the pages to read off line later.

Apparently the phone logs on to the network and the minutes add up. I thought this was covered under the $44.95 unlimited usage deal. I have a $400 plus phone bill in my hands. I logged on here right away to see if anyone else was having this problem.

I am about to cry - have to get on the phone with customer service and figure it out. Your post wasn't encouraging. Guess I'll have to set aside an hour to go over it!!!

Any additional help would be very much apprciated!
    I just got my Treo with the unlimited data plan. I hope this doesn't happen to me as I've used the internet and e-mail quite often... are you two saying that by turning the phone part on and being connected (i.e it says "Verizon Wireless" on top) minutes are adding up?
    I have a 758 minute data call on my phone. When you long on to National Access - it seems to add to the cell phone minutes. I am working with customer support now to get it all figured out. I'll post with the fix - when it happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by ljtaylo
    I have a 758 minute data call on my phone. When you long on to National Access - it seems to add to the cell phone minutes. I am working with customer support now to get it all figured out. I'll post with the fix - when it happens.
    Please do. I don't want this to happen to me
    As good as Verizon's CS is, their billing is just completely FUBAR. They screw your bill up, and it takes two billing cycles for them to credit everything back to you.

Try your damndest to never have the incorrect charges appear on your bill, or you'll be waiting at least 4 weeks for Verizon to come good on the free loan you just gave them.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    Try your damndest to never have the incorrect charges appear on your bill, or you'll be waiting at least 4 weeks for Verizon to come good on the free loan you just gave them.
    This is true for just about any company that uses the "bill in advance" model, including cable TV, newspaper delivery, etc. I've generally had good experiences with customer service and it's never taken more than 1 billing cycle to correct errors or problems.

As for what's going on in this case - I just noticed that the gray Comm arrows are displayed near the signal bars, so, I know that some data connection was established, by some application. If this has been going on since I activated this phone on Monday, that would explain why my call log (Totals option) shows a total of 15MB have been transferred since activation. It doesn't explain why those data connections are using my voice minutes, however. Interestingly, the call log shows only 3 minutes of voice airtime used since activation.

I just checked SnapperMail and it's set to get mail Manually, so, I don't think it's Snapper that's connecting.

My Network preferences set to "Ask before connecting to the internet" and to NOT "connect to the data network whenever wireless mode is powered on"

MMS has "Automatically collect messages" turned OFF

AvantGo is set to "Go Online Automatically" - but, this app was just installed late last night, and would not account for the 60 of the 220 mysterious minutes used between monday evening and this morning - and it should only be invoked if I'm in the AvantGo app click on a link which requires additional content.

There's nothing else that I can see installed that would be establishing a data connection by itself - but, apparently something is. Note that this did NOT happen a single time with my original 600. I was on MOU and I was able to account for just about every minute used, whether data or voice.

I'm at a loss as to why CS can't see a problem without waiting for the call detail to come in next month. All of the signs of a problem are there.... Unlimited Data is turned on, yet there is no KB usage showing on my account - while my voice usage count is increasing at an alarming rate, while I'm not making any voice calls.
    Do you have Wireless sync installed?
  9.    #9  
    I don't have wireless sync installed.
    Did you have a Verizon plan prior to getting your 650?
    Good luck getting everything straightened out guys, I know how big of a nightmare billing screwups like this can be
    1 | 2
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nycfonephreak
    I'm at a loss as to why CS can't see a problem without waiting for the call detail to come in next month. All of the signs of a problem are there.... Unlimited Data is turned on, yet there is no KB usage showing on my account - while my voice usage count is increasing at an alarming rate, while I'm not making any voice calls.

WTF.. no KB usage but airtime minutes are being used and they can't correct it for you???????? makes no sense .. customer service can be so frustrating!
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I wonder if there is some glitch in the 650 where it can't tell the difference between a data and a voice call. I don't have this problem on the 600 and I use the data/internet quite a bit. I don't recall anyone else who has a VZW T600 having this particular problem either.

Edit:I didn't realize the original post, the phone is a t600. Still this seems like a new problem...
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
  14.    #14  
    As of this morning, Peak minutes used are up to 336 and Off-Peak minutes jumped from 2 to 165 in the last 24 hours. I haven't made a single voice call since Tuesday! Still no KB usage showing up in the online usage reports.

Executive Relations is looking into this now - they were able to confirm what I said - no voice calls / all data calls - since Tuesday, yet all are being charged against minutes. They are investigating.
    Last edited by nycfonephreak; 06/17/2005 at 08:56 AM.
    Same here. I have Unlimted Data, but for the first few days I was being charged MOU. Had to call and talk to Data. They have now strighted out the data plan on my account and am no longer charging minutes for data. HOWEVER they say that there was nothing they could do about the minutes already used. I would have to call when my bill came to straighten it out. It's been noted in my file. No worries however..the calls show as calling data so they will issue a credit. So far I am 1000 Minutes over my minutes. Should be a nice $450+ bill coming in July

On a side note. If on the website you are not showing KB usage then there is something wrong with how your account is set up. I never saw that info on the webpage until the day after they fixed mine account.

Even with these minor setbacks...I still love the 650. Best Phone yet!
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Where do you check these crazy minutes?
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    It took 1 hour 45 minutes on the phone with Verizon to fix but I got it worked out.

I have the unlimited data package but one call didn't get logged right for 752 minutes. ($114) Verizon fixed this.

I have the 1000 minutes a month family plan so my regular phone minutes on my phone and the kids phones kicked up over the 1000 minutes plan and I was being charged .40 cents a minute for them - something like $178 more dollars! Verizon fixed this.

Working my way through explaining this to several customer service folks was very hard. I started with regular billing was transferred to the 'data' department got cut off. Called back back to the regular billing folks... then data.... then back to billing folks.

Here are some explanations I was given during the conversation.

1. The unlimited data plan does not kick in until midnight after you get it. So the first days connection to the internet or wireless sync etc.... (when you don't know how to use your phone and how to make it log off the internet connections) - it stays connected forever and shows up on the bill. Verizon fixed this - applied this to the unlimited data plan.

2. If you got your phone upgrade in the middle of the month - you have a pro-rated plan. Old plan divided by number of days in a month. Then applied to the number of days in the billing cycle that you used the old plan. Same for the new plan. Divide by the number of days in a month and apply that to the number of days till the end of the billing cycle.... blah blah blah. This doesn't actually have much effect on your final bill - but it seriously confuses the customer service folks. In turn, they try to confuse you with it. My old plan had 800 shared minutes and the new one has 1000. So if it were prorated.... i would have say 900 in a full month billing cycle....

3. If you don't have unlimited data - the call counts as minutes on your bill and then all minute counts go up.

So in the end the only thing you can do is watch your billing carefully and call them to get it straightened out.
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ljtaylo

3. If you don't have unlimited data - the call counts as minutes on your bill and then all minute counts go up.

that doesn't make sense.. if you have the pay per kb or 10mb data plan the data calls should not count against your minutes. sounds like more vzw cs confusion. terrible.
    I'm convinced that no two Verizon CS reps will ever have the same answer to a question.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast