Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    how silly is it to get a vzw treo 650 if it doesn't have evdo when one can get an xv6600? IMHO the xv6600 is really a clunky phone, but is evdo that much of a benefit? what do people think?
    It's such a big deal for me I just went home and set fire to my Treo 650 and stabbed a hole in my chest using a prybar.
    For email, not a biggy. For web browsing, DUN to laptop, it's a very big deal. Can also do streaming video and high quality audio with DSL. Currently you can get 90-100KBits/sec. EVDO gets 500-600K and bursts at 1MB or higher. EVDO latency is also better.

EVDO is currently a big deal for laptop users. EVDO smarthphones are for hardcore users but EVDO may play a big role if VoIP smartphones come, meaning you could browse and talk at the same time.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    ... EVDO smarthphones are for hardcore users ...
    I'm not sure that anybody knows this yet, since there really aren't any smartphones out there that enable high speed internet use (except for the xv6600). It might be that a lot of people who aren't hardcores will find uses for internet access on the phone once it becomes fast enough not to be a nuisance. I will.
  5.    #5  
    hmmm... i have an xv6600 but i think i'm trading in for a treo. i didn't know that on the regular network you can get 90-100kb/sec. is that true? if so, that seems like decent enough bandwidth for even a moderate user like me. i try to stay to pda-optimized sites anyway, not because of bandwidth, but rather readability. but if it's true that i can get 90-100kb/sec normally that seems like good enough. is that true?

i'm not going to be doing video streaming or anything. maybe download an email attachment once in a while, but that's it.

i really want to make this switch, but will i miss evdo?
    If you do a lot of browsing, I think you would miss it.

However, using optimized websites and having sprint with decent speeds is bareable (just ever so slightly).

Go to a circuit city and try one out?
    Once you've used EV-DO, 1xRTT feels like the old QNC! It's very noticeable when I travel outside the network - I just give up on web browsing.
    It's enough of a factor for me to forego an upgrade on this model. Yeah, the improved screen and camera would be nice, but I just don't see enough incentive.

Not enough of a need for EV-DO to jump to Windows Mobile, but at the same time not enough to get me to part with my 600, more cash, and take on a new contract.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I find that if I stick entirely to pda optimized sites, browsing is ok, but a lot of the stuff that I have to use is not pda optimized. My treo is a disaster when I try those sites.
    I'm used to using my Palm m515 hooked up to my cell phone at the 14.4k speeds...talk about slow! I can't imagine that the 1xRRT won't be fine for my casual browsing and email--I just ordered the 650 with unlimited data. Even when hooked up to a laptop, if you use lots of caching, multiple pages (reading one while the other loads) and only loading selective images, browsing at that speed is ok. If I had to use it every day like that it would be different, but for me it's only on occasional trips away from work and home. Matt, I think you'll be ok, but you should find a way to try it out first.
    Can anyone tell me what is average "upload" speed on Verizon EVDO?? I am interested in it but dont have much info about network speeds and average speeds.
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam2579
    Can anyone tell me what is average "upload" speed on Verizon EVDO?? I am interested in it but dont have much info about network speeds and average speeds.
    Testing that I've done, both Sprint/Verizon EVDO get about 500-700Kbits/sec download with bursts up to 1MB+ and about 80-100Kbits/sec upload. According to dslreports.com/mspeed, Verizon latency is 1-2 seconds and Sprint is typically typcally .5-1 sec. Lower is better.

Ping time is about 200-500ms for Sprint EVDO to yahoo.com and 400-800ms for Verizon EVDO (lower is better). Might be a factor of card/firmware or possibly that Sprint tower load is less. Also could have something to do with fact Sprint has its own Internet backbone, Verizon does not and probably has more hops. I've tested in different parts of city but tower location from testing is also a factor.

Actual file downloads, I get anywhere from 50-90KBytes/sec for both.

Verizon currently has better EVDO coverage (35 cities) but only plans on upgrading 75% of its 1xRTT network long term. Sprint is just now rolling to portions of 39 cities and claims they will pass Verizon before next year and eventually have 100% of their network at EVDO.
    Last edited by xenophonite; 06/16/2005 at 11:31 PM.
    Sprint is just now rolling to 30+ cities and claims they will pass Verizon before next year and eventually have 100% of their network at EVDO.
    That will be sweet.
    Xenophonite, how you are getting EVDO with Sprint? And how can I get one? I heard they are testing it in Houston as well started last week. But I am unable to get any more information. I want EVDO very bad and I have more than 3 lines with Sprint, I dont want to go to Verizon just for EVDO and get additional bill for it. Any help?
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.
    Might be a factor of card/firmware or possibly that Sprint tower load is less. Also could have something to do with fact Sprint has its own Internet backbone, Verizon does not and probably has more hops.
    You can check the number of hops easly enough to confirm your suspicions (i.e. traceroute or equivalent).
    Verizon currently has better EVDO coverage (35 cities) but only plans on upgrading 75% of its 1xRTT network long term. Sprint is just now rolling to portions of 39 cities and claims they will pass Verizon before next year and eventually have 100% of their network at EVDO.
    Since 100% of the Sprint network = about 50% of the Verizon network, we're probably talking comparable coverage. Have you compared EV-DO coverage maps between Sprint and Verizon? In the Washington/Baltimore/Annapolis corridor there's no real comparison: Verizon has about twice the regional coverage than Sprint does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    You can check the number of hops easly enough to confirm your suspicions (i.e. traceroute or equivalent).

Since 100% of the Sprint network = about 50% of the Verizon network, we're probably talking comparable coverage. Have you compared EV-DO coverage maps between Sprint and Verizon? In the Washington/Baltimore/Annapolis corridor there's no real comparison: Verizon has about twice the regional coverage than Sprint does.
    Sprint's network is not 50% of Verizon's. Sprint has rolled out a huge amount of towers in last 3 years.

Are you looking at Verizon's voice coverage map or 1xRTT coverage? Verizon is only converting 75% of 1xRTT network to EVDO, not 75% of voice network. Sprint's voice coverage and data coverage are equal. But true, for East Coast metros, Verizon may end up with better EVDO coverage as there is better overall coverage in their primary market.

Haved used traceroute early unix years... didn't have it on XP laptop I was testing with. Will check it out.
    Sprint's network is not 50% of Verizon's. Sprint has rolled out a huge amount of towers in last 3 years.
    As has Verizon. From a nationwide viewpoint, the digital portion of Verizon's network drubs Sprint's "all digital" network. There are some locales (typically out west) where Sprint coverage is much better.
    Haved used traceroute early unix years... didn't have it on XP laptop I was testing with. Will check it out.
    Really? It's a standard Windows XP component.
    Sprint claims they reach over 250 million potential users, 280M+ with roaming. Other sources show about same for base. Sprint claims to potentially reach 160 million with EVDO early next year, full network eventually sometime next year (I'd guess with Nextel acquisition, cash constraints may slow it a bit).

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/se...=1096009818796

Verizon claims to reach 280 million people with voice network and 246 million with data network. Verizon likely has higher tower density on East coast and some markets. Verizon claims in link below they will have EVDO to 150M users by end of 2005.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/a...essNetwork.jsp

Since Sprint attempts to provide all services on 100% network and Verizon has said they plan on EVDO in 75% of data network, the potential coverage, assuming above is generally true...

- Sprint EVDO will supposedly reach 250 million potential users by end of next year.
    - Verizon will reach 185 million with DO after planned rollout completes, up to 245 million if eventually doing full data network.

Verizon may have more tower density in larger markets. Sprint's consistent network may begin to pay off from this point on.
    Last edited by xenophonite; 06/18/2005 at 10:22 AM.
    Thanks for the clarification. Given the seeming parity in raw numbers, I wonder why Sprint's coverage is generally viewed as inferior? Is that the point of your "Tower Density" comment ?
    ^Yes. Verizon has about 21K cell sites. Sprint has about 18K but apparently is rolling out more sites at a faster pace, using 3rd party owned towers. Nextel has about 28K cell sites but that is of course an antiquated technology. Sprint plans to use about half of Nextel's 28K sites for more CDMA sites by 2008, which may allow them to quickly pass Verizon. And, Sprint will have a consisten network. Verizon will still have a mix of 3 technologies.

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/print.php/3448181
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast