1.    #1  
    http://wirelessinternetcoverage.com/

Sprint PCS's EVDO Coverage Roll Out Plans - EVDO WARS Begin!

It's True. Sprint Finally Has EVDO. When Verizon tested out EVDO here in San Diego and Washington DC, all the analysists were saying that Sprint was 8 months behind. They've proven to be closer to 18 months behind.
    Sprint promised to deliver EVDO to 130 million potential customers by now, June 2005 in 39 major metropolitans. They've left the starting gate but the finish line looks far away since they've only got 15 days to do this.

Even lounder is their claim that they will hit 150 potential users by q1 of '06. In order to do this, they've got to shake people from wifi and wean folks off of DSL as well.

Their EVDO Game would also get a steroid boost if they lowered their EVDO Monthly from $80 to $69. I've heard that Verizon is thinking about offering a $59 EVDO plan soon. But since they have a MONOPOLY on EVDO coverage they don't have to move too quick. Verizon is crouched but definately resting on their footprint laurels.

But, Sprint's EVDO High Speed Wireless Internet cell towers are catching up quick. You See, Verizon is a tri band company. Between GTE and Airtouch and a whole slew of others Verizon Wireless spawned from, there are a total of 3 very different frequencies they operate on. Sprint on the other hand has a thinner coverage map across the country BUT its got a pure 1900 PCS frequency advantage. This means that they have less work to do to get a Nation Wide EVDO network up and running than VZW does.

So, Sprint's Game Plan begins with EVDO Rollout to Major Metropolitan Business Centers and AirPorts. They will "turn ON" Their EVDO Towers in all 39 cities but only a couple of towers in each city will have EVDO to start. Over the next several months, more and more towers will be upgraded. According to Sprint, " (hmmm- odd... i was going to find that one Sprint Quote but google is down at 1.53am pst )

In any case, if you want EVDO and Verizon EVDO is NOT available in your area, order your Sprint EVDO service and modem from http://evdo-coverage.com
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  2.    #2  
    Sprint may surpass Verizon in coverage. Sprint _claims_ they will have 100% of their network EVDO next year. 100% services everywhere is Sprint's motto so it may happen, but when is another question. Verizon admits only 75% of their network is planned for EVDO long term.

I've been testing both Verizon and Sprint in Kansas City. Both work extremely well at about 500-600Kbits/sec. So nice to not have to look for hotspots.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Sprint may surpass Verizon in coverage. Sprint _claims_ they will have 100% of their network EVDO next year. 100% services everywhere is Sprint's motto so it may happen, but when is another question. Verizon admits only 75% of their network is planned for EVDO long term.
    How do you figure? Sprint doesn't maintain an Analog network like Verizon. What point would there be to put EVDO in an area with limited customers that sprint doesn't cover? So overlay the population areas and that 75% to 100% even out.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite

Even lounder is their claim that they will hit 150 potential users by q1 of '06. In order to do this, they've got to shake people from wifi and wean folks off of DSL as well.
    They don't aim very high, do they?
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    They don't aim very high, do they?
    I'm going to lower all my goals. Then I won't be frustrated so often.

OK, back on topic. I'm not going to try to evaluate VZW v. Sprint on their coverage intentions, but I am looking forward to a little price competition as well.

I'd also like to see a device and a little contractual willingness to enable people to use EVDO as their primary home broadband network. Goodbye cable/dsl.
    Quote Originally Posted by jstpa
    I'd also like to see a device and a little contractual willingness to enable people to use EVDO as their primary home broadband network. Goodbye cable/dsl.
    We have had Sprint wireless broadband as our home internet for about 5 or 6 years. I think it is about as fast as DSL but not cable...yet
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    We have had Sprint wireless broadband as our home internet for about 5 or 6 years. I think it is about as fast as DSL but not cable...yet
    I didn't know there was such an animal - except for satellite.
    We have a square antenna on the roof and they have a transmitter on Lookout Mountain or something like that.

"Sprint Broadband Direct uses exclusive digital frequencies to provide two-way, high speed Internet access to homes and businesses. This service allows use of the Internet at speeds faster than today's dial-up modems.

This frequency technology has been in use for more than 30 years to provide analog signal transmission. To create Sprint Broadband Direct, Sprint has reallocated the analog spectrum and converted it to digital, providing what consumers nationwide have been begging for--high speed Internet access."
  9.    #9  

I talked to Verizon about targeting consumers against the cable/dsl market and they have no plans to yet. The towers would have to have a great deal of capacity to carry such a large install base, especially if having to deal with file traders. EVDO does completely compete with WiFi though... no more hotspot seeking.

I suspect when DO Rev A comes in a year or so, we'll see VoIP over EVDO phones and then perhaps enough capacity to compete with landline broadband. May be a while though. WiMAX might make it before enough EVDO capacity.

Love that it works anywhere in the KC metro, even the exurbs. EVDO is a huge deal for road warriors or those who depend on the Net for a living. Well worth $80/month, but hopefully competition will bring down rates.
    Last edited by xenophonite; 06/15/2005 at 09:25 AM.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by JDub
    How do you figure? Sprint doesn't maintain an Analog network like Verizon. What point would there be to put EVDO in an area with limited customers that sprint doesn't cover? So overlay the population areas and that 75% to 100% even out.
    The word is that Verizon is only planning on rolling out EVDO to 75% of their existing 1x RTT network long term.
    Wait.. does the 650 support EVDO?
  12.    #12  
    ^No but there is hope the next Treo replacement will. There are now a couple PocketPC phones that have EVDO but they have horrible battery life.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Alltel has a few EVDO markets online right now but currently only with a PCMCIA card which seems to be the case with most. I can tell you that 1Xrtt was way cheaper to install than EVDO. From an infrastucture side most cell sites had to double T-1 capacity and add a Frequency carrier which isn't cheap. In 1Xrtt the carrier could be shared with Voice but in EVDO it is dedicated to data, hence the DO (data only).
    Check out this thread about a wireless EVDO wireless router.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=87289
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by pda_jedi
    Check out this thread about a wireless EVDO wireless router.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=87289

Already exists...

https://evdo.sslpowered.com/secure-w...fi-sharing.htm

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000430041235/
    I had never known anyone to have Sprint broadband at home until now. Interesting as I know they sell the service in Phoenix. About DSL speeds huh? Nice.

As soon as there is a new Treo that has EVDO I'm buying. Have no idea what I will do with the extra bandwidth, but I have this early adopter affliction.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robangel
    As soon as there is a new Treo that has EVDO I'm buying. Have no idea what I will do with the extra bandwidth, but I have this early adopter affliction.
    I'm looking forward to having actually usable web browsing capability. Loading normal web pages on a treo is maddeningly slow.

As soon as the i730 is out, I'm buying it - word is next week. Scuttlebutt is that it will have better battery life than the current EVDO smartphones. Hope so.
    Quote Originally Posted by robangel
    Have no idea what I will do with the extra bandwidth, but I have this early adopter affliction.
    I think if you had it, you would be a happy boy
  19.    #19  
    Sprint's web page is now up for EVDO. Looks like $80/month to start with.

http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...dData_tabA.jsp
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I would suspect that, like VZW, it will be $80 for the PC Card and some lesser amount for phones.