1.    #1  
    Last August after more than two years with our prior phones my wife and I upgraded phones and signed a new 2 year contract with Verizon. In December I accepted a new position with a big 4 accounting/consulting firm and moved to Charlotte. My new employer has national and regional contracts with Sprint, Verizon, Cingular/AT&T, TMobile and Nextel. My new employer "suggests" (read soft consultant term for mandates) managers and above to carry either a Blackberry or Treo device and will pay for monthly phone service (a national bulk minutes plan) and for an unlimited data plan, but will not pay for the device. As a side note - if I'd known I was going to have to get a smartphone of some sort I obviously wouldn't have upgraded last August.

So I've waited a few months for Verizon to release the Treo 650 because I'd really like to stay with Verizon and use it as my only phone (lots of reasons, coverage and most of my family is on Verizon so the in-network benefits make it reasonable to use as both my business and personal phone) - just transfer my number to Charlotte, update my minutes plan, get the Treo 650, add unlimited data and apply the corpoate discount to the primary line and data plan. Should be simple right? Of course not. Thus far all the channels I've tried - Verizon reseller, Verizon customer service, Verizon customer service supervisor, all say "tough" that I'm not eligible for a discounted equipment purchase until August 2006 so I can buy the Treo at full retail but that's it. To make matters worse I've called and left messages twice for the southeast Verizon business representative on our account and have never received a call back.

I understand the last phone I had was at a discount, and if it was simply my whim to get a new phone I wouldn't budge. But given my circumstances - I am going to get a Treo from someone because of my new job - all they're doing is forcing me to go to Sprint and in the process are losing an additional $20 a month in phone plan income and $45 a month in data income for the next 24 months. Basically they're losing $1560 in revenue over giving me a $175 discount on the equipment purchase. And I'm turning into a bitter customer who will let everyone in the firm (i.e. new managers) know just how unhappy I've been with Verizon and encourage them to buy elsewhere.

Just really bad business sense, but over the past few months during this move and the related transactions I've had nothing but bad customer service experiences with a wide range of vendors (Time Warner cable - like Microsoft almost the antichrist, GE - don't get me started on my expensive cooktop experience, Verizon, painters, contractors, etc...). The only folks who've been at all helpful have been Alltel (local phone and DSL service, all my interactions with them have been great) and the guy who built my fence (and did a fantastic job, at the price quoted, on time).

Just had to vent a bit
    yeah i think business service for the average business person is pretty bad at verizon. in my case, since i'm not the "registered technical contact" for my business, i can't get anything done without weeks of bottleneck...
    for what it's worth, I've got a similar contract term -- got a new phone end of last summer because my old one was on it's last legs, repairing it would have cost more than getting a new phone, and so I signed a 2 year contract that carries me into August 2006.

one of the verizon CS reps recommended to me that I wait until August if I wanted to try to get the Treo 650 at a discount. His reason was that they "very rarely" offer a second discount to someone in the first year of a contract, but they are more flexible in the second.

did you explain to them that your decision is basically being driven by the equipment price since your employer's going to pick up the monthly bills?
  4.    #4  
    I tried to emphasize - nicely at that - that the purchase price was the deciding factor for me and that my firm has national and regional contracts with Verizon, Sprint, TMobile, AT&T/Cingular, and Nextel - so I was going to buy based on the acquisition cost. Didn't seem to resonate although I finally got a business support rep late yesterday who at least was willing to go to bat with a manager for me. I'm eligible for an "early" upgrad in November so I'm really asking for about 4 months of consideration and the firm negotiated price - in exchange for a new more lucrative 2 year contract. Seems like a no brainer. I did go ahead and register my current phone number through the extranet firm site so that they can see I am actually an employee with the firm and not just trying to manipulate the system. I'm supposed to call business support back late this morning for an answer....

The most surprising thing to me has been the regional business rep for our firm - and it is a big 4 consulting firm so there are lots of lines and business associated with the relationship - has not returned my three phone messages asking very politely for help...
    Since you're so willing to go to another carrier (and keep your current Verizon account or eat the early cancellation), why not just open a new account with Verizon and keep your old one? Seems like the impact would be the same, but you would get to keep your service with Verizon.