Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Anyone use their VZW Treo 650 for only its phone features, non-Internet PDA functions, and occasional Pix Messaging.. not for its other Internet/Email PDA features?

If you do, I assume you are on the Pay As You Go .015 cents per Kb Data plan?

Have you received a bill yet.. have you noticed that you are charged .015 cents per Kb on top of the regular 25 cents per Pix Message?
    I have the unlimited text and pic messaging plan and do not have a data plan at all, when I first received the treo they put me on a pay as you go plan and every time I sent a pic message I got charged kb usage, stupid because the pic messaging is free.
    I called VZW and had them remove the data plan all together, this takes quite a bit of persistance as the cust service reps seem to have been told to never take a data plan off a treo. Anyway I am now using MOU and the pic and text messaging is now free again.
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Is this with the Treo 650?

Have you received your first bill yet since you've had the Data plan removed completely?
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    I looked at some of your previous posts.. looks like you are using the Treo 650. Not sure it differs from the Treo 600 in what I'm about to mention.. but anyway..

Sounds like we are in a similar situation (use pix but not other data). Although I hope you don't experience what I experience, but chances are you will if you haven't already..

Seems that the Treo 650 (probably Treo 600 as well) does not disconnect from the Data network completely after sending a picture message. So now that you don't have a data plan (per kb or monthly fee) and you are getting billed only airtime for sending pix.. your airtime usage is gonna go sky high!

I just noticed this on my VZW account online.. airtime usage jumped from about 500 minutes one day to over 1000. And yes I also had recently convinced a VZW rep to completely remove any sort of data plan (per Kb, 10mb, unlimited) from my account.

I THINK I may have found a solution though assuming Pix messaging is the only thing will cause these extended data connections. Its a piece of software called Battery Doctor (battery dr.). I read about it in previous posts where others using the Treo 600 experienced similar issues. What it does is disconnect the data connection completely when your screen powers off.

So.. Sodiumlake.. keep an eye on your minutes. This is frustrating that VZW doesn't have a way to fairly deal with users like us. Unless we find a solution on our own.. we're SCREWED either way.. without a data plan our airtime usage goes out of control because the Treo 650 doesn't know how to stay disconnected from the data network BUT with a data plan we get screwed with overpriced PIX messaging fees because we are charged per KB (.015 cents) for a pix that can be anywhere from 30kb to 80kb.
    I have received my first bill, that is where I first noticed the kb usage beilg billed to me. Verizon credited me thaat cost removed the kb plan and all has been good so far.
    Talking to Verizon tech support the way any picture phone sends and charges for a pic message is it uses 1 min of air time to send and 1 to recieve, the system is susposed to recognise this and credit those min back (does not always happen).
    I only send and recieve pic's to Verizon wireless customers so it is free even if it did charge to my min usage. I am watching this very closley and if it changes I will post it here.
    Currently I manually disconnect the data after sending or receiving a pic but have looked at battery dr. also.