Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I emailed Sprint about receiving an incoming call while transferring data. This is the response I received:

Dear Joshua,

I understand your concern regarding the inability to receive incoming call on your phone while transferring data from it.

Ideally you should be able to receive incoming calls on your phone while transferring data from it. Our network supports reception of incoming calls in every manner irrespective of what actually being accessed on the phone. However, as you are not getting the incoming calls while transferring data, therefore I advise you to get your phone checked at one of our Sprint Stores. Our store technicians will conduct a diagnostic test on your handset and let you know about the problem. To find a store nearest to you, please click on the following hyperlink:

http://www.sprintstorelocator.com

We appreciate your relationship with us, and look forward to serving you in the future.

Sid P
    Sprint eCare
    So is this true that we should be able to receive calls while transferring data, ideally it should interupt the data transfer. I mean, we can start a 2nd call while in the middle of another call on the Treo650, so I don't understand why we can't access data at the same time. I'm not really worried about using the web while on the phone, but I'd like to be able to be surfing some simple sites and checking email without worrying about an incoming call going straight to voice mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by mallow
    I emailed Sprint about receiving an incoming call while transferring data. This is the response I received:

So is this true that we should be able to receive calls while transferring data, ideally it should interupt the data transfer. I mean, we can start a 2nd call while in the middle of another call on the Treo650, so I don't understand why we can't access data at the same time. I'm not really worried about using the web while on the phone, but I'd like to be able to be surfing some simple sites and checking email without worrying about an incoming call going straight to voice mail.

Sorry, but this is the inate limitation of 1xrtt cdma protocol used by Sprint at this time. You cannot make or recieve calls while on an active data connection. 3-way calling is not the same thing as it does not use the data connection:

Next phases of CDMA2000 implementation are suppose to support dual voice+ data connectivity:

http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=10

1xEvDv(data+voice) will support dual connections, but I understand that it ma also be possible with 'Do' workarounds as well...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Whoa! Wait a second. I'm about to buy the 650, but this may change everything. If I am browsing the web, I can not receive calls??? They go right to voicemail or do I have the opportunity to cut the data reception and take the call?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    No, when the arrows are green, calls go directly to voice mail on the CDMA phones (Sprint/Verizon). I believe, but not sure, that on GSM (Cingular/T-Mobile) calls will interrupt a data connection.

(If you've not had a treo 600/650, Green arrows == active data, Grey arrows == standby).

Dana
    This issue pops up every now and then, and I'm still not sure it's been definitively settled. Heres one of the latest incarnations, which also has some links back to an earlier thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=77462

This may help you out...or it may leave you even more confused.
    GSM behaves EXACTLY the same way. For both GSM/CDMA, you will get the call if there is a network connection but INACTIVE data. If there is activity, such as a download or PTunes streaming, a phone call goes to voice mail.

I've done extensive testing with both GSM/CDMA Treos and the behavior is exactly the same.

When VoIP over EVDO comes, you should be able to talk and use data at the same time.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    good lord not another one of these threads....
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I dunno about the incoming call while using data thing, but I do have one anecdotal experience.

Today I was on a phone call, and got literally SHELLED by instant messages (Verichat). I'm on Verizon.

IM was set for vibrate and short tone...I musta had 10 IMs while on the call, each one vibrating the phone and playing a tone in my ear.

I flipped the mute switch on the top of the phone, but I had that set to vibrate...still more than a bit distracting while on the phone.

So some type of data transfer is possible while on a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone
    Whoa! Wait a second. I'm about to buy the 650, but this may change everything. If I am browsing the web, I can not receive calls??? They go right to voicemail or do I have the opportunity to cut the data reception and take the call?
    How does it change anything since this is the same result with ANY gprs/1xrtt handset on the market...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by mcevoys
    I dunno about the incoming call while using data thing, but I do have one anecdotal experience.

Today I was on a phone call, and got literally SHELLED by instant messages (Verichat). I'm on Verizon.

IM was set for vibrate and short tone...I musta had 10 IMs while on the call, each one vibrating the phone and playing a tone in my ear.

I flipped the mute switch on the top of the phone, but I had that set to vibrate...still more than a bit distracting while on the phone.

So some type of data transfer is possible while on a call.
    Yes, you can SMS while on an active call.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    >>Yes, you can SMS while on an active call.

This wasn't SMS messages...it was native verichat messaging.
    I have read the other threads about this topic, but I have to believe that calls will come through, depending on whether the data connection is just loading or doing some more intensive.
    I have been browsing the web and received calls while the page was loading. I tend to stare at the loading meter on the screen since I love my broadband at home so much and Verizon's connection is no where near that fast, the filesize is increasing while a call rings through.
    I have also been in the middle of receiving emails with chatter and had the phone ring.

HOWEVER, if the data connection is in the process of connecting to the network, looking up dns or logging into a website (via cookies), signing into my mail server the call will go straight to voicemail.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    trust us, either verichat sent you some DELAYED messages, or you were receiving messages via the verichat SMS app... it is technically impossible to be transferring data and talking on a call on GSM/CDMA networks.

however, sms does not apply to this rule, as verichat implemented a step that in case your phone is off or you are talking, you would get messages via the SMS verichat app. if you look in your sms folder, you will see them
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    >>if you look in your sms folder, you will see them

They're not in the SMS application, but they are in Verichat's archived conversations.

The messages were Verichat format...not SMS. They were not delayed, they came to my PC at the same time (AOLIM)

Try it yourself.