1.    #1  
    I have been killing myself over the decision between a 650 with unlimited data and a Palm T5 / moto V710 with unlimited data combo. After having finally got my hands on a 650, I was blown away by how small it was and less than impressed with how large the V710 phone is--not to mention all that Verizon has done to cripple that phone. Carrying around a 650 instead of the T5 and V710 would be great (I currently lug around a StarTac 7868 and Palm m515). I have searched the net, read coutless posts and talked to Verizon's "tech support" (I'm hesitant to call it either tech or support) until blue in the face but can't seem to get straight info. here's what I MUST know before buying the 650.

1) Can I use the 650 to connect my laptop to the net?

2) If I can, will I get "National Access" 144k speeds (I know, 60k average) or will I have to dialup to my own ISP and use the same 14.4k molassas I get now with my m515/startac combo?

3) Regardless of the answer to #2, will I be able to use the 650 to dialup to my own modem on my own network if I so choose? Can this be done in conjuction with my laptop?

4) Do I need a true data plan or can I just use my minutes? I know people were doing this in the past, but I'm not sure if it can still be done with a new account on a new phone.

Any help on this would really be really appreciated!
    just pay the 45 bucks and get unlimited data. it is really nice
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone

2) If I can, will I get "National Access" 144k speeds (I know, 60k average) or will I have to dialup to my own ISP and use the same 14.4k molassas I get now with my m515/startac combo?

3) Regardless of the answer to #2, will I be able to use the 650 to dialup to my own modem on my own network if I so choose? Can this be done in conjuction with my laptop?

4) Do I need a true data plan or can I just use my minutes? I know people were doing this in the past, but I'm not sure if it can still be done with a new account on a new phone.

1. While it is "possible" the carrier will notice this and can block you. VZW has a broadband like service that uses a card for this type of access. Most carriers prohibit using the phone as an actual modem.

2. You won't get the same access as you would if you had the card service (which I think is like $79 or so a month). I've gotten good speeds in the past, but very rarely have I gotten a true 14.4 connection.

3. Ideally you could, but like I said, it's not included. If what you want to do is access your home computer I believe there are apps for that. if you just want to surf, you can do that right on the treo itself.

4. The Treos use data throughout the day sending signals. I've heard nightmare tales of paying for data by the kb and getting slapped with a bill amounting to hundreds, and sometimes thousands. You must use data to access email and the web, so at the very least you want the $20 (I think) plan that gives you 5 mb. But note you can use that data fast. i went unlimited at the $45 a month and since I use my phone for business that monthly fee was covered within 4 days of usage (cause I can bill clients for working outside the office).

Hope this helps - I'm still a newbie myself to the Treo, but have had VZW many years.
    Pamela
  4.    #4  
    "Most carriers prohibit using the phone as an actual modem."
    -OK, but does Verizon?

"I've gotten good speeds in the past, but very rarely have I gotten a true 14.4 connection."
    -Did you mean 144, not 14.4? When I use my m515 or laptop with my StarTac I always get a usable connection. Very slow, but usable. If I disable images on the web browser and always use cached pages when possible, I can surf around a bit or send/receive emails from outlook. Once upon a time many of us used 14.4k connections and thought it was *fast*!

"If what you want to do is access your home computer I believe there are apps for that. if you just want to surf, you can do that right on the treo itself."
    -I don't want to access my home PC nor do I want to just surf. I want to dial into my work network and access network resources. I should have clarified that I want to do this with my laptop connected to the 650, not just the 650 by itself.

In the end I'm sure I'd get the $45 unlimited data access but the ability to hook this up to my PC is important. While traveling I don't want to be stuck surfing and emailing from my Treo--I'd much prefer get those 40-144k ISDN-like speeds on my laptop through the Treo.

Thanks for the thoughts so far....
    I tried to do it your way for a while and I found it frustrating. They don't disable the user from dialing in...but I always had my connection drop for no reason. PDANet then suggested I reset the Treo and the Notebook...if I didn't, I couldn't re-connect.

In the end I dumped the $45 plan and went with the $80 stand alone notebook card. I get a much more reliable service and my phone isn't 'busy'. Be aware that in both cases, the high-speed network is limited and the 144 is burst, not steady, you won't see anything near that for sustained time.

Erik
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    FWIW, I asked my B2B rep about data usage.. she said data is data , unlimited is unlimited. So I use it very heavily as a modem. never a charge or complaint
    wow $540 a year for unlimited data...I pay $30 a year ($5/month for two lines) with Sprint.

Sounds like easy $$$$$ for VZW
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    FWIW, I asked my B2B rep about data usage.. she said data is data , unlimited is unlimited. So I use it very heavily as a modem. never a charge or complaint
    Pump, how do you do this? Via BT or with a cable? What kind of speed do you get on average?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I have been killing myself over the decision between a 650 with unlimited data and a Palm T5 / moto V710 with unlimited data combo. After having finally got my hands on a 650, I was blown away by how small it was and less than impressed with how large the V710 phone is--not to mention all that Verizon has done to cripple that phone. Carrying around a 650 instead of the T5 and V710 would be great (I currently lug around a StarTac 7868 and Palm m515). I have searched the net, read coutless posts and talked to Verizon's "tech support" (I'm hesitant to call it either tech or support) until blue in the face but can't seem to get straight info. here's what I MUST know before buying the 650.

Yes, but you will need additional software such as PDANet. I used my Kyocera 7135 (it had built-in support) to do this for 2 years, works great!
    No, if you pay the (now $49)/month, you will get National Access. The speed isn't 802.11x but it works fine when you need it. I can't see Verizon having a problem with using it on a laptop, since the Kyocera came with the ability to do so built into ROM.
    Hmm, no idea on that one. I've never tried (unlimited data took away the need to do so).
    That one's been debated a lot. I started with the Kyocera that used my minutes. Turns out minutes go REALLY fast when you're online, so that didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. I hear, but never confirmed, that its not being offered anymore.
    Good Luck!

Dana
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    My Treo 650 won't allow this. The network setup preferences are "locked" to National access only.

- Bill
    Okay, I'm the newest of newbies, but I found this on this board and think it would be great for what you're talking about. I would think it's great for hotels without free high speed internet as well:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=88368

Sorry if I'm wrong about this, like I said, I'm new here and to the 650, but have had a Kyocera 6135, 7135 and Treo 600 combined now for 6 years.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG
    Okay, I'm the newest of newbies, but I found this on this board and think it would be great for what you're talking about. I would think it's great for hotels without free high speed internet as well:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=88368

Sorry if I'm wrong about this, like I said, I'm new here and to the 650, but have had a Kyocera 6135, 7135 and Treo 600 combined now for 6 years.
    Yeah, PDANet seems like a must-have.

Quote Originally Posted by WPWoodJr
    My Treo 650 won't allow this. The network setup preferences are "locked" to National access only.
    That's a bummer. Verizon...can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. They have the best network and the most restrictive policies. The way they crippled the V710 and 650 is shameful. But what can you do??? Bummer.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I actually use both BT (the shadowmite hack) and the cable (PDANET). the cable is roughly 2x as fast but i havent really benchmarked it to get real numbers. either does well enough to satisfy a person who has cable internet at home and hates dial up
    Quote Originally Posted by WPWoodJr

- Bill
    Actually you should be able to create a new profile. "Locked" simply means you can't modify the National Access profile.
  15.    #15  
    I actually use both BT (the shadowmite hack) and the cable (PDANET).
    I thought that PDANet does both? Why do you need the hack?

either does well enough to satisfy a person who has cable internet at home and hates dial up
    Great description!

Quote Originally Posted by evers
    Actually you should be able to create a new profile. "Locked" simply means you can't modify the National Access profile.
    That's good news indeed. Anyone confirm this? Is anyone using the 650 as a dialup modem to their own analog modem at home or work?

While I'm at it...anyone using the 650 with VNC or the like?
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    wow $540 a year for unlimited data...I pay $30 a year ($5/month for two lines) with Sprint.

Sounds like easy $$$$$ for VZW
    We've got a nice road here in Florida called Alligator Alley - you're basically driving through swamp lands - on a 100 mile stretch. Only stop along the way is an Indian Reservation.

I drive with a smile as I get on my VZW serviced-phone and chat the entire drive; passing Sprint users gearing up the window to toss their phones because they are down to zero bars at marker 21.

THAT's why VZW can charge what it does. I've lived in the mountains, in a valley and in hicksville. I've always got bars on my VZW plan while friends and sister get nada via Sprint.

Some could argue that it doesn't matter much because you may basically just do city driving. But if you've ever been stuck having to take a white shirt out of an overnight bag to motion to a cop while you're still on the phone with the cops trying to explain just where you are on a dark, no exits for miles stretch from Texarkana to Houston at midnight, you'll know what I mean. You'll be grateful when that cop pulls up because you can describe where you are and tell him what you're holding before a trucker picks you up and takes you who-knows-where.

Pamela
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evers
    You're right - good catch. So, you should be able to use the Treo 650 as a modem to dial an ISP.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Ok Dan, which one are you getting?
  19.    #19  
    I'm going with the 650. I should have it in a few days. I'll certainly post my experiences. Thanks for all the help!
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I just ordered the Verizon 650 after having a Handspring Prism/Visorphone, 600 and 650 unlocked all on T-Mobile. I live in a very affluent area of New Jersey and get almost NO reception 5 miles outside of my home. My wife has gone for years without a cell phone and now that she is pregnant there is no excuse. T-Mobile had great data rates($20 unlimited) but their reception was terrible. I'Ve missed so many important calls with T-mobile and today was the breaking point; I am having our phones shipped and should arrive Friday. I'll take the $200 cancellation fee for breaking my contract with T-mo early but its totally worth it at this point.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com