1.    #1  
    I've owned the Treo 650 since late April. Two weeks after I purchased it I did the 1.08 Rom Update. I've never had a complaint about this phone other than the common few soft resets. Just recently in the past 4 days I've been having quite a few "Server not responding" errors sent back to me when I send text messages. I can still send text messages, but randomly I get that error. That wasn't a major issue, I figured I'd call *2 when I had free time. Well yesterday when it finally pissed me off enough to call I dialed *2 and my phone went from 3 bars of service directly to No Service and when it'd hang up because of No Service, it'd go back to 3 bars. It continuingly did this for a few calls and then finally I was able to call out. *2 told me to take it into Sprint.

I took it into Sprint yesterday and the lady asked me if I had downloaded any software. The only software I've downloaded was directly off of Sprint's website. She then asked when the last time I updated the rom was. I told her I had done the 1.08 Rom Updater Late April. She said she looked on PalmOne's website and they have an update for it that was put out May 4th. I can't find this update, is this true? No I'm stuck with "No Service" more often than I've ever seen it and am rather mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by onedownfiveup
    I've owned the Treo 650 since late April. Two weeks after I purchased it I did the 1.08 Rom Update. I've never had a complaint about this phone other than the common few soft resets. Just recently in the past 4 days I've been having quite a few "Server not responding" errors sent back to me when I send text messages. I can still send text messages, but randomly I get that error. That wasn't a major issue, I figured I'd call *2 when I had free time. Well yesterday when it finally pissed me off enough to call I dialed *2 and my phone went from 3 bars of service directly to No Service and when it'd hang up because of No Service, it'd go back to 3 bars. It continuingly did this for a few calls and then finally I was able to call out. *2 told me to take it into Sprint.

I took it into Sprint yesterday and the lady asked me if I had downloaded any software. The only software I've downloaded was directly off of Sprint's website. She then asked when the last time I updated the rom was. I told her I had done the 1.08 Rom Updater Late April. She said she looked on PalmOne's website and they have an update for it that was put out May 4th. I can't find this update, is this true? No I'm stuck with "No Service" more often than I've ever seen it and am rather mad.
    If she found an update, why didn't she update your phone at the store? Did they run diagnostics on it? It's not simply your problem that the phone has issues -it's hers too. What exactly did they do to fix your problem? I'd go back (when it's acting up to show them) and make them address and fix the issues. To tell you there's an update and leave it at that is poor customer service. She needs to fix the issue at hand. The phone is under warrantly, right? It's Sprint's problem too.
    I had the same problem with my 600 a couple of weeks ago. My phone would drop out or fail to connect. I would get a no service indication even when the phone showed good signal strength. Also connecting to the internet was iffy. Often Blazer would start loading, then after a few seconds the little clock indicator would just stop moving. I took it in on the Sunday before Memorial Day but was told that I would have to return Monday when the Tech was working. In the mean time the issue seemed to resolve itís self. The only answer I got from the Tech was doing a hard reset. Which I did a couple of days later. But now because of my companyís new security reg. I am no longer able to sync the 600 at work.

I now assume that the problem was with their network and they just did not wish to admit it.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    the 600's problem was due to a lot of things: take your 600 back to sprint and have them test it for network searching problems; more than likely they will run a test and you will find yourself a new 600/refurbished 600/new or refurbished 650 (i believe you CAN trade it in for the value of a 650 and make up difference, if there is any)

do a search on 600 network searching and you will find a good amount of threads about the 600 problems...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalenvy
    If she found an update, why didn't she update your phone at the store? Did they run diagnostics on it? It's not simply your problem that the phone has issues -it's hers too. What exactly did they do to fix your problem? I'd go back (when it's acting up to show them) and make them address and fix the issues. To tell you there's an update and leave it at that is poor customer service. She needs to fix the issue at hand. The phone is under warrantly, right? It's Sprint's problem too.
    They didn't run diagnostics becuase she said it'd take an hour and thirty minutes and I simply didn't have time for that. I was told at Sprintusers.com that the rom update type of stuff Sprint didn't deal with. That is why I left the store and told the lady I'd go to palmone.com and do the current update and see if that solves the issue. When I went to palmone.com the only update I could see is the 1.08 Rom Update which I have already done.

The phone is under warranty, I just purchased it in late April.

If in fact the Sprint techs do the Rom updater at the store then it may just be the notation in my account I had achived about a year ago.

(Background Story)

Last year about 4 phones ago I had a VGA 1000. That was my first issued Sprint phone. My first problem with it was the screen on the outside stopped working so I took it in, they replaced it with another VGA 1000. Two weeks down the road the 0 and 9 button stopped working all the time. I litterally had to push them quite a few times to get it to show up. They once again replaced the phone for another VGA 1000. My next phone lasted me about a month and then 3 bars showed up on the main screen and ran across it. I took it in and they replaced the phone AGAIN. My 4th VGA 1000 eventually stopped getting signal and was weak all the time and they said it had to do with the manufacture of the phone and replaced it. Finally on my 5th phone the speaker quit working on me. I took it back in and was on fire. They said they'd gladly replace my phone for another VGA 1000. I explained this is my 6th repacement I'll be reciving and I'm getting sick and tired of spending my valued time bringing them in to get replaced. I'm not hard on my phones at all, just normal wear. The lady said that they won't get credit for that phone if she replaced the phone with a different phone. I explained my concern and told her I understood, but there had to be something she could do. I told her I was even willing to pay the difference, or she could even down grade me to the 8100 which was a cheaper phone at the time. She wouldn't budge and said I'd get another VGA 1000. I kept on it and was getting mad that this was the only solution. Finally the manager after arguing with her for about 20 min walked away from me. That was total disrespect to me and I let her know that.

Well they wrote I caused a scene in the store when honestly there was no "scene" any other customer there wouldn't have known what was going on.
    They did do a test, said that it had failed one of their signal strength tests. They then gave me three options. Send it to PalmOne for repairs. Replace it with another 600 or a 650 by paying $600 after which they would send me a rebate for $150. Or try a hard reset. I would upgrade but there is no way I can afford $600 any time soon. I would try another carrier, but Sprint is still the only carrier in my area than supports any version of the treo.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    starlord,
    take the treo to another sprint store (call first and check if they have the equipment to test the treo)
    if your phone fails and is under warranty, they MUST replace it at no cost to the user (they may however, replace it with a refurbished, provided the refurbished passes the signal test).
    if they do not have any on hand, they are suppose to order from sprint warehouse, and the phone will be in the store around 3-5 days from when they order.
    if no treo 600s are available, and you are still under warranty, they must replace it with a similar phone: treo 650 or ppc6600 or the other palmos smartphone (without keyboard). keyword : similar

otherwise call technical support (not customer care) and explain the problem. it sounds like the sprint reps at the store are too cheap and want to pocket your dough
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    onedownfiveup,
    from what i understand, while most users do the rom update themselves, the sprint stores with technical labs can also do it, just as they can update your prl if you bring it in. it sounds like you had a network search problem, in order to correct it you have to make sure you do two things : update your rom to newest version. this can be done by going to the sprint site under mypcs tab, it should show an image of your phone after you log in. sprintpcs.com should have all supported roms for all treos under your phones support.
    the second thing you have to do is leave your treo so they can run a test. it sounds like you might have to go to another sprint store because the current one doesnt want to get off their lazy bum due to the "episode". nor does it sound like you can really trust them. i would go to a different store with a technician, leave the phone for about an hour or so, and get the resultss. follow my post previous to what you are entitled to if it fails. the reason they ask to do a hard reset is that will delete all programs that you have installed that could be causing a problem. (most likely its not a program) i would back up all your treo files to your computer or sd card, and bring it in and tell them they can hard reset it til their heart desires, but test the phone for a signal strength test. if it passes maybe it was a fluke. if it doesn't, get a new one and restore all your information
    hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by onedownfiveup
    Last year about 4 phones ago I had a VGA 1000. That was my first issued Sprint phone. My first problem with it was the screen on the outside stopped working so I took it in, they replaced it with another VGA 1000. Two weeks down the road the 0 and 9 button stopped working all the time. I litterally had to push them quite a few times to get it to show up. They once again replaced the phone for another VGA 1000. My next phone lasted me about a month and then 3 bars showed up on the main screen and ran across it. I took it in and they replaced the phone AGAIN. My 4th VGA 1000 eventually stopped getting signal and was weak all the time and they said it had to do with the manufacture of the phone and replaced it. Finally on my 5th phone the speaker quit working on me. I took it back in and was on fire. They said they'd gladly replace my phone for another VGA 1000. I explained this is my 6th repacement I'll be reciving and I'm getting sick and tired of spending my valued time bringing them in to get replaced.
    Hate to hear that you had a VGA1000/A620 -- they're famously problematic. (coughcoughIhaveaSanyoifthattellsyouanythingcough). That is definitely some poor customer service -- after the third time someone should have noticed the previous exchanges and bumped you up to the next model. (At least, that's how it's done here.)

Oh, and Sledgie has given you excellent advice. Very well spoken -- I love informed customers =]

[P.S. From the name "onedownfiveup" and sledgie's av, I feel like I'm back on the WERA boards. What do you guys ride?]
    ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑
    Meghan Edmonds
    Technical Service Representative
    ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑ ∑
    Sprint PCS, Brookwood
    1925 Peachtree Road
    Atlanta, GA 30309
    Voice: 404.351.2225
    Fax: 404.350.7266
    So maybe they didn't actually test it. They only had it for about 5 min. Also the phone is long since out of warranty and in any case I got it direct from PalmOne. I looked at switching to Cingular. And while I might get the phone a bit cheaper I would end up paying twice what I am currently paying with Sprint per month.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    starlord,
    you might have some options yet. if you have had your phone for 18 months, sprint will offer you a $150 towards a new phone (i believe you have to sign another contract, however). the other option is i believe sprint will take it off your hands for $75. there should have been a mailer that came for you a few months ago, check sprint's website if not.
    how long was the palmone/handspring warranty? i think they would replace it, regardless of warranty, due to the network searching problem (it affected a good amount of units on sprint. i couldnt use my treo when my battery was under 60%, no joke, or it had to be plugged into a wall outlet). call palmone, tell them whats happened. they will require you to have it tested at a sprint store and for a technician to fill out a form essentially saying the treo failed the test. however, i would be willing to bet that palm would replace it, since it was so widespread and basically should have been a recall.
    ergo, i ride a honda vfr 750, the best of both worlds in the sports bikes and sports tourers. i can compete with the big bikes yet ride it for 8 hours and not be in pain tomorrow. vfr stands for v-four engine, instead of inline 4 or what have you. its the 1994 model, 4th generation (a classic in the moto world) and now goes by the name Intercepter. oh yes, i've been averaging about 40 in the city lately :-D
    The warranty was for 1 year and I have had it for at least 20 months. But I was not looking at getting another 600. It seems to be work just fine for the moment. I was hoping to upgrade to a 650. But I just can not afford to pay $600 up front. It would help if the $150 was an instant rebate. It would really help if it was just applied to my bill and I could pay it off over a few months. As it is I will have to wait several months before I can even hope to have $600 available.