Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I got the following link from Engadget

http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...rder=0&thold=0
    Most of those cities are partial to date. I'm testing it and Kansas City coverage is not metro wide, only the airport and Southern Johnson County where the HQ is. I also tried it in St. Louis and it only worked in W STL County.

Sprint claims they will eventually have 100% of their network on EVDO next year. Sprint claims Verizon only plans 75% coverage of their network.

It does appear to be correct that the official consumer rollout will be in August. Businesses can now request it if they accept the limited coverage. The card does work on the old 1xRTT network if EVDO not available.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    So I guess this means that the next generation Treo would be nearly certain to include EVDO?
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    If Palmone wants to live.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    *rumor* has it that evdo treo is already in the works, whether its a ppc treo with evdo or palmos treo with evdo is anyones guess :-P
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Xenophonite, do you know what phones Sprint will have available for use on the EVDO network? PDAphones?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    they have not stated yet whether the current pdaphone ppc-6601/6600 will be able to use the evdo modem inside (it is capable). all that is required would be a radio firmware update. hopefully most of the ppc660x users who wanted to take advantage of evdo without having to buy a new headset will complain, but it is entirely possible that sprint will try to put another 6600 series out, however, one could say that if indeed the ppc has the hardware (it does) and is capable of evdo speeds (it is) then there will be a way around buying a new headset. no information has been published without embargo on new pda / evdo phones. there are a few evdo phones in the works, however, but no pda style have been mentioned
    The ppc66xx series is the only one I'm aware of that Sprint has announced. By the August consumer release, I'd guess there will be a couple more EVDO smartphone candidates that Sprint would consider. Hopefully a Treo update with CobaltOS is one of them.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    I was going to start a new thread with my thoughts, but this is as good a place as any for me to rant. Here are my thoughts:

I highly doubt that come August there will only be one phone that Sprint sells with EV-DO capability (by the way, am I the only person that thinks evil-doer whenever EV-DO is discussed? ), especially not a phone that users already own that they will simply be able to obtain a free OTA update in order to acquire EV-DO. That would be a poor business decision, even by Sprint's standards. There would be no purpose of improving technology if new devices can't be sold. If there is no increase in customers, and no increase in profit. In fact, they would lose money.

With that said, Sprint is probably going to have at least one more phone (probably PDA) released once EV-DO is rolled out. Looking at Sprint's site, I see there are currently 5 PDAs being sold, the oldest of which is the Samsung i500. My guess is this will be the next PDA to be discontinued. That leaves the Treo 600 and 650, the PPC-6600, and the Samsung i600. But what will replace the i500?

Call me crazy, but I don't see Sprint coming with another Treo before Christmas or at the beginning of Q4 at the earliest. What I find curious is there haven't been any real rumors about the next Sprint PDA phone. Nothing on phonescoop.com, nothing here, or anywhere that I am aware of. Usually there are some kind of rumors floating around by now.

Does any of this make sense?