Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    I left Verizon too because the Treo is cheaper on Sprint Network. So far I'm very satisfied and my wife is happy too. She knows other providers charge double or more for data.

Al
    Same situation with me and my wife likes Sprint service also (she does not have a Treo).
    I left Cingular when I was very happy with them. The ONLY reason I left was because I wanted a Treo and the Cingular data pricing did not make that feasible. Now I'm with Sprint, paying $5 more per month and have everything I had with Cingular plus unlimited data.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    highly doubtful that sprint's evdo will be $80 for smartphones. verizons evdo for smartphones is $45 or $49 (i forget). Sprint's moto is, "anything Verizon can do, we can do better."
    Does Verizon allow DUN on EVDO Smartphones?
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Same thing here. As long as Sprint keeps the low price for unlimited data, I will stay with them. There is no comparison with the others. It is why I joined Sprint in the first place. I am looking forward to them rolling out EVDO and hoping it will be cheap as well, compared to Verizon.
    Question about EVDO?
    We all know that GSM handles calls and data better than CDMA does. I believe GSM gives priority to incoming calls than data, which results in less lost calls. On the other side CDMA will send calls to voicemail if there is any data transfer.
    Will EVDO improve this? Are we going to have less miss calls?

Thanks,

Al
    I've tried GSM Treo and it sends calls to voice mail if there is ACTIVE data. Ditto with my Sprint phone. Only goes to voice mail during ACTIVE data transmissions. There is no difference.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    As for the question about will Verizon support DUN for EVDO, i'm not sure. Perhaps Rduckworth or some other verizon members who have the xv6600 will chime in; As far as sprint goes, the 660x had INSTRUCTIONS on the cd about how to use the phone as a usb/bluetooth modem with a program called "Wmodem", quite useful at the airport (if you have bluetooth on your laptop) or at home when dsl or cable goes out. However, Sprint usually says "no tethering" but a lot of users get away with it now and then. I think i am one of the few to post my letter I received from Sprint when I went over a certain "downloadable" amount back in Feb of 2004 - even though Sprint says it's unlimited data, they throw up a flag somewhere around the 1gb threshold, because when I had my old treo 600 I would stream shoutcast a good amount and approximately calculated that they must have a 1gb limit per month before a flag is thrown on the account and a letter is sent out. Funny thing is, I wasn't tethering.

nonetheless, i know it's at least POSSIBLE on verizon's xv6600, whether or not they include the program and instructions is the question. However, i think if you choose to use Verizon's evdo phone for TRUE unlimited use (tethering, and handheld use) their charge goes from $45 to $80 (and $80 would be true unlimited tethering, connect to laptop, etc.)

as for the question about whether evdo will be able to handle voice and or data simulataneously, theoretically right now it *shouldn't*, at least not until EV-DV or evdo rev a. but, from a few users on this board who have sworn to browsing the web (not caching) and receiving a call on verizon's evdo at the same time, they tell us that it is indeed possible and that the speed dropped from EVDO to 1xRTT (400 to 144 or so). Mr Duckworth can definitely comment on this if he wants to chime in. But it shouldn't be concrete that it *will*, just because it has. in all accounts it shouldn't be able to accept a call and transfer data at the same time, and if i am wrong someone please correct me, so expect in the future not to see this until the next upgrade of evdo.
    ^I suspect dual voice/data will not be possible until VoIP phones. And with EVDO speeds, VoIP phones may come in a couple more years.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    from what i've heard and read, skype (free voip) works well with evdo, so it may be quicker than you think
    Yeah, would be cool. May be a while though for entire EVDO coverage and getting off of the old voice network. One year would be pushing it but is possible. Two years for true VoIP over EVDO is more likely according to other sources. If Sprint/Verizon can rollout EVDO to its entire network next year, we just might see it sooner than later.

My bet is 2007 for consumer VOiP over EVDO smartphones w/out a radio for old voice network. But with smartphones this year with EVDO, I could see third party apps that use the EVDO network, such as a Skype client for Palm/PPC. I wonder if you can get a data only plan on smartphones with no voice minutes... hmmmmmm.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i believe so, they would consider it an aircard then ($80)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12