1.    #1  
    I'm moving to a hilly area with really poor Verizon coverage. Has anyone tried using one of those external antennas that are supposed to increase the signal level, or have any other suggestions?

Thanks.
    I have an external antenna I bought from Wilson Electronics. It does help (in my case one bar) but that is enough because my home office is a dead zone. I am a little disappointed that it wasn't better.
    In the case that you get good reception outside your house and you don't when you are inside, the external antenna might work by setting it up correctly.
    If you don't even have a good signal outside, you would need a repeater or amplifier.

If you are talking about one of those sticker thing which they have many commercials after midnight, do not bother. If that thing works well, I would lose my job as an antenna engineer.
    I would look up using a passive antenna system first. You should be able to find a few websites which describes how to correctly establish one. We used one for a while with a UHF yagi, and a 800mhz antenna, not really the best combo, but we could make cell calls in the middle bottom of a cement and brick building with this system with no problem...

I would try and use (the correct antenna's - the above ones worked, but I wouldn't suggest it in a real system) something like this before running out and buying a $500 BDA off ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexc
    I would look up using a passive antenna system first. You should be able to find a few websites which describes how to correctly establish one. We used one for a while with a UHF yagi, and a 800mhz antenna, not really the best combo, but we could make cell calls in the middle bottom of a cement and brick building with this system with no problem...

I would try and use (the correct antenna's - the above ones worked, but I wouldn't suggest it in a real system) something like this before running out and buying a $500 BDA off ebay.

I have been looking at the same thing of late. My cell phone reception sucks at my house, and is a little better outside.

What exactly is a passive system and where would you get that stuff?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by voorson
    I have been looking at the same thing of late. My cell phone reception sucks at my house, and is a little better outside.

What exactly is a passive system and where would you get that stuff?

Thanks
    Go on google and start poking around.

What you probably want is a Yagi (directional antenna) for your roof that covers 800/1900mhz. Inside, you want an omnidirectional antenna that covers the same frequency range. Put one on one end of the coax, and put one on the other end. IN THEORY this should help ever so slightly.

Point the yagi at your closest cell tower.... if yagi's don't work, try another omni directional antenna.

Again, read up on google, make sure you understand what your doing. You CAN'T use CHEAP coax for this stuff - you need to use something with very low loss at 1900mhz. So... NO RG58... No cable TV cable... you need 50 ohm cable... RG8 or something like that might work.

-Alex
    It will be difficult to use only a passive antenna to boost signals inside a building. Unless you hook it up directly to your cell phone somehow. Then you are stuck in that location.

A friend of mine tried signal booster from wireless Extenders. It worked great for him. He is able to make cell phone calls in his basement which he could not do before he purchased this device from wireless Extenders.

I found a review on this product. Check out http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a...reviews&id=660
    RFZENYEN