1.    #1  
    I just activated my 650 on VZW, but they refused to insure it since it was bought from P1. Has anyone figured a way around this?
    I did.

I purchased my T650 from P1, activated it on VZW's website, & took the recommendation of someone & even called into VZW CS to advise them that I now have my P1-purchased T650, & wanted to be sure to verify that I still have TEQ Covg, as I always have, & the lady says it's there & covered no prob!!!

Best of luck...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    My daughter sells insurance with a local State Farm office. They can write a policy on any cell phone with a replacement cost of over $500 for $32/year, and apparently if you have homeowners through them it costs less. I am not trying to sell for her or them, but I'd suggest you can probably get equal or better coverage through your homeowners policy or some other normal insurance source.
    Quote Originally Posted by calvin767
    My daughter sells insurance with a local State Farm office. They can write a policy on any cell phone with a replacement cost of over $500 for $32/year, and apparently if you have homeowners through them it costs less. I am not trying to sell for her or them, but I'd suggest you can probably get equal or better coverage through your homeowners policy or some other normal insurance source.
    Ask your daughter if you need the Home insurance w/ State Farm as well, or is this policy you mention a true stand-alone policy by itself. Thanks...

I am in the insurance industry myself, but guidelines vary. Thanks...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by calvin767
    I have State Farm for both my cars and home and used to have my 7135 insured with them. Then some articles I read about how insurance companies were holding small claims against homeowners made me think long and hard about whether I wanted to make a claim for the phone. I decided not and cancelled the coverage. My 600 was insured through VZW so I think I'll stop by a VZW store on the way home and try to get them to activate the coverage for the 650.
    I just talked with my State Farm agent (with whom I have homeowners) and they offer a *separate* "Personal Articles Policy" which is completely independent of the homeowner's insurance. It's a much better deal than using VZW TEQ, as I can cover, for example, $2000 of stuff for $36 (YMMV) annually. That would cover several Treos. =-)

Furthermore, claims against this P.A. policy, I'm told, have no effect on homeowner's policy, and have no deductible...
    To reply: My daughter said they can write this as a completely independent policy. I am sure State Farm is not the only ones doing this, but you should at least check and evaluate your options. I initially got the insurance from Verizon, but I am going to get another policy on the phone after evaluating the options.
    www.safeware.com is now insuring smartphones. That's all I know.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    mine is insured...two separate CS reps told me that i could get it insured as long as it was within 15 days of purchase date.
  10.    #10  
    Follow up: This weekend I stopped in a VZW store and found out that my 650 is insured. Despite what the original rep told me over the phone, the insurance was just carried to the 650 when I registered it with VZW. Just to make sure, I had the rep read me the ESN of the phone covered and it is the 650.

On the question of insuring your phone with the company carrying your homeowner's insurance, I would still not do it. I like State Farm, use them for house, car and umbrella policy and am generally very pleased with their service. However, others in the industry (including people with State Farm) have said that every claim counts these days and have counseled against making small claims with your primary insurer, even if it is on a different policy. This may be overly cautious and foolish, but I feel more comfortable using a separate insurance company for my phone.
    Here is how the insurion insurance works. You tell Verizon you want to phone coverage, they charge you the few bucks a month.
    When you lose/damage your phone, you call insurion, they ask you what phone you had, i.e. treo650, they then call verizon to verify what phone it was, i.e. treo650 and they send you a refurbished one (odds are). You may get a new one if you lose/damage it within the 1st couple months before they get a ton of refurbs.
    But as long as you have your phone activated through verizon, insurion could care less where you got the phone.