Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I need some help. Verizon has managed to confuse the hell out of me. I did search but am still confused.

On the website I priced a treo 600 with a 39.99 plan. there was an option for "pay as you go"; great. So I did the same thing with the treo 650 but there was no option for "pay as you go". What gives?

so I stopped by a verizon place in a mall and verizon salesperson says data plan is required.

Then I call verizon, he mentions that he thinks there is a "pay as you go" plan but is not sure. then goes into this BIG explanation as to why I should get a dataplan. Tells me that the phone is always on?? uh yea dude. What I think he meant was that the phone would always try and connect to the network to sync up. I am pretty sure there is a way to turn this off.

All I want to do is use the treo 650 or 600 as a pda & cell phone. No wireless internet or email. Can anyone give me a clue as to what the 'REAL' deal is?

Thanks, John
    I have just activated a VZ 650. They really didn't WANT to, but they WILL allow you to sign up for pay as you go, at the astoundingly ridiculous rate of .015 per Kb, or $15 per Mb.

The always connected ruse is a way to scare you. They are talking about Wireless Sync, and if you never configure it, it will never try to connect. Anyone who wants constant sync, email push, etc will obviously have to have a data plan, but for us occasional internet users, $25-$45 per month for data is just overkill.
    I purchased my 650 last week and they told me I had to get a data plan. When the rep tried to switch my plan over from my 7135 to the 650 it would go because I never had a data plan with the 7135 (use my own provider for internet). Finally the manager came over and re entered the info for the renewal switch over and he asked my if I wanted a data plan, I told him "no" and he set it up w/o the data plan. You can use your own provider for all your data (non verizon). Less expensive and faster.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    sweet! Now I just have to decide on if I want to spend the money on the treo.
    LEONARDKL how do you use your own internet provider for you 7135 let alone your 650? I have hesitated in purchasing the 650 because I don't care about wireless sync and I do not want a huge bill next month. I also assume that the data services can be shut off, but I am not sure how this is done?
    Once you have wrestled, other things in life seem easy.
    I just did this on my Verizon T650 and can verify that it works! It uses the slower (19.2K) circuit switched channel, so it counts against minutes.

I have Roadrunner at home, and they offer a dialup option to customers where you dial a local number and make a PPP connection, just like any other dialup ISP, so this would work with any of them. Roadrunner dialup requires a script, others may not.

Just for posterity, I'll detail ALL the steps here to set up Dialup via Roadrunner. I got bits of this from other threads, but never did see it all in one place, so here it is: (BTW, if you are a RR customer, you have to register online at the RR site to use dialup, but it does not cost extra).

• Go to Prefs->Network
    • You'll see a locked Service, probably called National Access. You do not want to modify this anyway, as it's your high speed 1X data connection - the one they want to charge an arm and a leg and your first-born for.
    • Menu->New
    • Enter a name for Service, eg "Roadrunner Dialup"
    • Connection: Select Virtual Modem
    • User Name: This is your ISP login name, for Roadrunner it is the master email account, WITH your local domain name, eg "<username>@triad.rr.com".
    • Password: password, natch
    • Phone number: Your local access number
    • Tap Details->Advanced->Script
    • Modify the script commands to read exactly like this:
      • Send CR:
      • Send: aolnet/ent. <- INCLUDE THE PERIOD!
      • Send CR:
      • Send User ID:
      • Send CR:
      • Send CR:
      • Send Password:
      • Send CR:
      • Send CR:
      • Send: PPP
      • Send CR:
      • End
    • OK->OK->OK back to main screen
    • Tap Connect to test. If you end up seeing the Established message, you're golden
    • As long as you leave this Service as the selected one, it will be used for all data connections (email, web, etc). If you ever need/want to use the higher speed net, just go back into Prefs->Network and select the original one.

Quote Originally Posted by HealthFIT
    LEONARDKL how do you use your own internet provider for you 7135 let alone your 650? I have hesitated in purchasing the 650 because I don't care about wireless sync and I do not want a huge bill next month. I also assume that the data services can be shut off, but I am not sure how this is done?
    Wow rlwhitt, thanks for the info. The only question i had was... how were you billed for the data access using this method?
    Cant you do a New connection and do a #777 and then vzw as the password and then your name as your login...I did this @ 1am this morning and I have yet to see a data charge...can ne one else verify this besides me please...

B
    rlwhitt, thanks for that great post! Very helpful!
    When I ordered my Treo 650 the rep told me that they cannot force a data plan on anyone, pay as you go is always an option with every phone. The Reps you talked to obviously want a bigger commission check. They won't tell you that there is a pay as you go data plan unless they have to. If you go through the order process online at verizon you just have to unclick or not click any data plan option and your account will automatically have the pay as you go use. Don't let the salespeople con you into something that you don't need. Data plans are for serious internet and e-mail users only. Ideal for corporate business employees that travel or have a extreamly busy schedule.
    I think I read somewhere on these forums that VZ has rigged the thing to use this kind of connection as National Access - you can't control what it does and you end up with per Kb charges. But that's just my best recollection of what I read - I have not tried it. It's worth a try maybe.

Also keep in mind that you may not see charges show up for a while, as much as a day later on the web site, don't know about #DATA.

Quote Originally Posted by Goober408
    Cant you do a New connection and do a #777 and then vzw as the password and then your name as your login...I did this @ 1am this morning and I have yet to see a data charge...can ne one else verify this besides me please...

B
    By the minute. I did notice one odd thing. Even though after I made this switch I saw the minutes usage go up as I would expect, I also saw 2Kb of data added to my balance. Don't know if this was some sort of brief inadvertent connection I made prior to switching - I'm going to continue to investigate it.

Another downside to this method is that the on-board call log does not record this type of data call, even though it's using the circuit switched network. So my minute counter won't see it either. #MIN or the website is accurate though. Too bad, the Kyocera series would log these calls.

Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus
    Wow rlwhitt, thanks for the info. The only question i had was... how were you billed for the data access using this method?
    Thank you for the great post rlwhitt.
    BTW, in you illustration, "Send: aolnet/ent. <- INCLUDE THE PERIOD!", the aolnet/ent. is only for your roadrunner dial-up, am I correct?
    So If I use something else then I have to figure out what to insert there right?
    Yes, this script is only valid for Roadrunner. A lot of people report no script needed with many ISPs.

On a new note, I have added another Network entry and duplicated what was on my 7135, using <phone #>@vzw3g.com, vzw, #777, no script. So far my initial test showed access using this one to come FROM MINUTES OF USE! I've done some more tests to verify but they have not yet showed up on VZs web page. I'm wondering if this login is still valid and deducts from minutes only because I was using MOU on my 7135. Others have not had the same luck with this. It'd be great for me (and others in the same boat) if this is something that VZ let "slip through the cracks".

Quote Originally Posted by jincue
    Thank you for the great post rlwhitt.
    BTW, in you illustration, "Send: aolnet/ent. <- INCLUDE THE PERIOD!", the aolnet/ent. is only for your roadrunner dial-up, am I correct?
    So If I use something else then I have to figure out what to insert there right?
    rlwhitt, i still get the timeout error. My connection seems to go through but before the log in with my provider can be established the led light goes off and the timeout error occurs. Is there a way to keep the connection alive to give the sign in process time?
    I went to the Verizon store today hoping to upgrade my Treo 600 to a Treo 650. The VZ sales rep. told me if I upgrade or changed Treos, I would have to start paying for data, which is now included in my monthly phone minutes. They said they no longer let Treos use regular phone minutes but I was "grandfather in" so I could continue to use my phone minutes IF I did not change Treos. They recommended I keep my 600 and NOT upgrade.

Can anyone help me with the following questions:

1. Does the "new" Verizon data plans that run the 650 run at high speed (similar to broadband) or the same speed I am now getting on my 600 using my "regular phone minutes"?

2. Is there any way to get the 650 and still use my regular monthly minutes like I am on my 600? Was the sales rep mistaken?

3. Is the VZ sales person correct in recommending I stick with the 600 and NOT upgrade to the 650 because of the extra data costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by greg1949
    I went to the Verizon store today hoping to upgrade my Treo 600 to a Treo 650. The VZ sales rep. told me if I upgrade or changed Treos, I would have to start paying for data, which is now included in my monthly phone minutes. They said they no longer let Treos use regular phone minutes but I was "grandfather in" so I could continue to use my phone minutes IF I did not change Treos. They recommended I keep my 600 and NOT upgrade.

Can anyone help me with the following questions:

1. Does the "new" Verizon data plans that run the 650 run at high speed (similar to broadband) or the same speed I am now getting on my 600 using my "regular phone minutes"?

2. Is there any way to get the 650 and still use my regular monthly minutes like I am on my 600? Was the sales rep mistaken?

3. Is the VZ sales person correct in recommending I stick with the 600 and NOT upgrade to the 650 because of the extra data costs?
    sounds to me like the salesman was pretty losery for not taking the time to properly pitch the positives & negatives of staying w/ the 600 or upgrading to the T650...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    I used this to go to VZW's Network, and on QnC so far I don't see minutes.

http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...0&pagenumber=1

So are you connecting this to a computer or are you using minutes to surf *on the phone itself* to your ISP?
    Just bought the 650 for my wife. Told the rep that she would not be using Wireless Sync, but he still scared me into the unlimited plan and told me to just look at the data usage on the internet and then lower or eliminate it. I'm pretty sure that he was wrong, but I'd rather be right and pay $45 for a month than be wrong and be stuck with a $600 bill. How are you guys with the $.015 per Kb doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by ntaylor
    Just bought the 650 for my wife. Told the rep that she would not be using Wireless Sync, but he still scared me into the unlimited plan and told me to just look at the data usage on the internet and then lower or eliminate it. I'm pretty sure that he was wrong, but I'd rather be right and pay $45 for a month than be wrong and be stuck with a $600 bill. How are you guys with the $.015 per Kb doing?
    Check out this thread and you'll have your answer:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=87960
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast