Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    this is very helpful to me as well.
    I just tried the Roadrunner script and it seems to work great for every app but Blazer. Whenever I open up blazer, it seems to disconnect from the network. I've tried letting blazer start the connection as well as starting it on my own, then opening blazer.

Any ideas?

BTW, I'm currently trying this on a Sprint Treo 650.
    Posted this in another forum:

I was told by a phone rep and the in-store rep that I could do QNC MOU for my i600 even if I changed plans (I've only incurred minutes and no data charges for the last year and a half). So I changed plans and WRONG! I started racking up data usage per the website (haven't received the bill yet).

To add insult to injury, the procedure here worked great for my wife's new Treo 650, but it looks like she's still getting some data usage. Because the data usage on the website lags by a few days, I'm not sure when it was incurred.

After a couple calls to Verizon, they did give her 5MB for free, 1.5 cents per Kb thereafter. They tried to remove the PAYG for my i600, but that disabled my network access. So they gave me the same thing, 5MB for free, but I'm not sure that's going to cut it.

Bottom line: Verizon seems to be successfully pushing us all towards data plans. Won't be long before I cave.
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    When and how did you get them to give you the 5mb for free??? Do you have a regular customer account or some type of business account? I've been asking for that data plan but continually get denied.
    Not a business account. It was my second call--the first time they transferred me to data tech support where the guy told me I'd been getting a windfall for the last year and a half and I had no choice but to get a data plan. I told him I'd been misled, had to think through my options, and would call back. On my second attempt, I didn't even ask; the CSR offered it.

My only guess is that I've been with Verizon for five and a half years, since days of Airtouch, maybe they like that? But my impression is that Verizon is not too concerned about customer churn since their numbers are so low, so threats to leave and spread bad rumors and cost them other customers they could care less about. Microsoft-type arrogance.
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ntaylor
    On my second attempt, I didn't even ask; the CSR offered it.
    Wow, I wish I knew a way to get in touch with THAT rep. I THINK the first rep that I spoke with put a note in my account that I don't qualify for the $0 for 5mb data plan (because I asked for it) so now every other rep reads that and turns me down.
    Speaking of using dial-up, my cable modem service is Earthlink "powered by Comcast"--switched to that when Comcast tried to jack my rate when I switched to DirecTV, but that's another story. In any event, I get 20 hours of free dial-up with the cable account and it seems to work, no scripts or anything, just username and password with a new virtual modem connection. It is slower than either the qnc or built in National Access and I haven't waited long enough to see if it is hitting my data usage or minutes. We'll see....
    I am a RR customer and will be trying this method. I've been going back and forth in my head between RR ISP and vzw qnc and it seems from those other threads that although qnc works, you still get billed for data.

Is there anyone out there that has been using qnc, received their bill, and NOT been charged for data?

RLWHITT, have you been charged at all for data since using RR dial-up?

Thanks, Rabbit
    I GOTTA FEVER... AND THE ONLY PRESCRIPTION, IS MORE COWBELL!!
    No, I've not been charged anything but minutes when I do a true circuit switched connection to the RR ISP. Online shows minutes deducted almost immediately, and I have received a paper bill to confirm this.

I've tried this qnc/qnc/#777 connection. It conects to the 1X net on my phone automatically, it's NOT "dialup" (ie the old technology) and if I use the qnc connection, per KB charges show up online about the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by MacRabbit
    I am a RR customer and will be trying this method. I've been going back and forth in my head between RR ISP and vzw qnc and it seems from those other threads that although qnc works, you still get billed for data.

Is there anyone out there that has been using qnc, received their bill, and NOT been charged for data?

RLWHITT, have you been charged at all for data since using RR dial-up?

Thanks, Rabbit
    Just set up the RR ISP and it works SWEET!!!! Thanks, dude. You're a lifesaver. I love stickin' it to the man!
    I GOTTA FEVER... AND THE ONLY PRESCRIPTION, IS MORE COWBELL!!
    Two quick questions...one, are you still only getting billed for minutes? two, what does the "natch" below mean? Do you put your password, comma, "natch" just like it's shown? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rlwhitt
    • Go to Prefs->Network
    • You'll see a locked Service, probably called National Access. You do not want to modify this anyway, as it's your high speed 1X data connection - the one they want to charge an arm and a leg and your first-born for.
    • Menu->New
    • Enter a name for Service, eg "Roadrunner Dialup"
    • Connection: Select Virtual Modem
    • User Name: This is your ISP login name, for Roadrunner it is the master email account, WITH your local domain name, eg "<username>@triad.rr.com".
    • Password: password, natch
    • Phone number: Your local access number
    • Tap Details->Advanced->Script
    • Modify the script commands to read exactly like this:
      • Send CR:
      • Send: aolnet/ent. <- INCLUDE THE PERIOD!
      • Send CR:
      • Send User ID:
      • Send CR:
      • Send CR:
      • Send Password:
      • Send CR:
      • Send CR:
      • Send: PPP
      • Send CR:
      • End
    • OK->OK->OK back to main screen
    • Tap Connect to test. If you end up seeing the Established message, you're golden
    • As long as you leave this Service as the selected one, it will be used for all data connections (email, web, etc). If you ever need/want to use the higher speed net, just go back into Prefs->Network and select the original one.
    I have no need to have a high speed data connection and I also have RoadRunner. So I am very interested in using dialup access via RR for when I need to check email on the road. I entered the entire set of instructions below but I am getting the following error when I try to connect.

Error please check your username and password and try again. Your moble service provider may not allow dial-up connections.

Anyone have any advise on how to get this to work.

TIA

d

I just did this on my Verizon T650 and can verify that it works! It uses the slower (19.2K) circuit switched channel, so it counts against minutes.

I have Roadrunner at home, and they offer a dialup option to customers where you dial a local number and make a PPP connection, just like any other dialup ISP, so this would work with any of them. Roadrunner dialup requires a script, others may not.

Just for posterity, I'll detail ALL the steps here to set up Dialup via Roadrunner. I got bits of this from other threads, but never did see it all in one place, so here it is: (BTW, if you are a RR customer, you have to register online at the RR site to use dialup, but it does not cost extra).

• Go to Prefs->Network
    • You'll see a locked Service, probably called National Access. You do not want to modify this anyway, as it's your high speed 1X data connection - the one they want to charge an arm and a leg and your first-born for.
    • Menu->New
    • User Name: This is your ISP login name, for Roadrunner it is the master email account, WITH your local domain name, eg "<username>@triad.rr.com".
      • Send CR:
      • Send CR:
      • Send User ID:
      • Send CR:
      • Send CR:
      • Send Password:
      • Send CR:
      • Send CR:
      • Send CR:
      • End
    • Tap Connect to test. If you end up seeing the Established message, you're golden
    • As long as you leave this Service as the selected one, it will be used for all data connections (email, web, etc). If you ever need/want to use the higher speed net, just go back into Prefs->Network and select the original one.
    Has anyone gotten this connection to work with Verizon PIX (MMS) transmissions? I've tried, but it just sits there (for a long time, even though the pic I'm trying to send is only 14kB) indicating it's sending the message.

Thanks.

I just did this on my Verizon T650 and can verify that it works! It uses the slower (19.2K) circuit switched channel, so it counts against minutes.

I have Roadrunner at home, and they offer a dialup option to customers where you dial a local number and make a PPP connection, just like any other dialup ISP, so this would work with any of them. Roadrunner dialup requires a script, others may not.

Just for posterity, I'll detail ALL the steps here to set up Dialup via Roadrunner. I got bits of this from other threads, but never did see it all in one place, so here it is: (BTW, if you are a RR customer, you have to register online at the RR site to use dialup, but it does not cost extra).

• Go to Prefs->Network
    • Menu->New
      • Send CR:
      • Send CR:
      • Send User ID:
      • Send CR:
      • Send CR:
      • Send Password:
      • Send CR:
      • Send CR:
      • Send CR:
      • End
    "The heavens declare His righteousness, And all the peoples have seen His glory."<br>e-sword
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12