1.    #1  
    I am a new customer to sprint (as of March, 2005) and in the short time that I have been a Sprint customer, I have experienced a lack of customer service unparalleled in my history as a customer of numerous carriers. I don't want to bore everyone with the long, drawn out story, so I'll try to make this quick.

Basically, Sprint agreed to replace a defective Treo 650 phone that I had, but in order to secure the return of the defective unit, they stated they would have to charge my credit card approximately $600 and then it would be reversed when they received the defective phone back (who does it this way...isn't it supposed to be "we'll charge your credit card if we DON'T receive the defective equipment back?"). Of course, they sent me the wrong model Treo 650 (w/o the camera) and when I called back and they told me it would be no problem to send me the right model Treo 650, what they didn't tell me was that they were now going to charge my Sprint account approximately $600 for the second replacement to be sent out to me. This charge, combined with my current month's balance (which wasn't even due yet) put me past some credit threshold on Sprint's account and so within a day or two, my phone was turned off (without me even being notified about it - I just couldn't make phone calls one day and this is how I found out about it).

Regular Sprint customer service was completely unhelpful and couldn't promise me anything beyond turning my phone back on for a day or two (and since I hadn't yet received the second replacement, there would be no way for me to return the defective phone before the service was turned off again). I should also mention that my father was in the hospital right around this time undergoing a cardiac catherization (or something along those lines where they use angioplasty and stents) and I needed to be able to communicate with my family to know how he was doing. Being that it was a weekend, I had to wait until Monday before I could call Sprint Corporate, and I finally got through to a representative who apologized for the inconvenience, agreed to turn my service back on again and ensure it wasn't turned off, and credited me my first month's balance in full. If this had been the end of things, I would have been OK (unhappy, but I would have managed). Unfortunately, it was just the beginning.

Even though I eventually got the second replacement and returned the first replacement and my defective phone promptly, Sprint apparently had a lot of problems receiving it, confirming it, and noting it on my account. In fact, they had so many problems that after I had confirmed they had received both units via UPS, my phone service was shut off a second time, and a THIRD time (after I was promised by the corporate representative that it wouldn't be shut off again)!!!

Additionally, Sprint screwed up again and credited the initial charges for both phones back to my Sprint account instead of one back to my Sprint account and one back to my credit card account. Because the only balance on my credit card account was the Sprint charge and I assumed they would be crediting it back to this card (and even confirmed this with the Sprint corporate representative), I didn't pay the balance, and when it wasn't credited back correctly, I got hit with late fees and finance charges on my credit card. All in all, even after I got through to their corporate office and was promised that there wouldn't be any more problems, they screwed things up even worse.

When things were finally straightened out, I called their corporate office back and spoke with the same representative that I initially spoke with to see what could be done to compensate me for ALL of these problems. I asked for three things which I didn't think was too greedy: to be let out of my 2-year contract so I could leave at any time (even though I informed them that at this point I wasn't planning on leaving since even though they had really screwed things up for me so far, the rate plan was better than I could get anywhere else), to receive the unlimited SMS messaging plan for free (normally $5/month), and to get a $5/month credit on my PCS Vision Plan (so instead of paying $15 a month, I'd only pay $10 - I'd read a bunch of places that Sprint was now even offering PCS Vision for $10/month in some places so this was hardly an over-the-top request). The representative came back after meeting with her management team (explain to me again why she needs to meet with her supervisors...I thought this was corporate, where the person I'm speaking to is authorized to do what is necessary, not to get approval from above) and told me that what they could do is give me 3 more months of service for free, and allow me to leave Sprint in the next 30 days with no early termination fee, but that she couldn't let me out of my 2-year contract permanently. I was fine with the 3 months of service for free, but given everything that had happened in the past, I really wanted the ability to leave Sprint at my convenience without an early termination fee. I argued for a while with the representative and got nowhere, and so now I have to decide within 30 days if I want to stay with them for another year and 10 months or leave and go elsewhere.

The problem with leaving and going elsewhere is that most of the other major carriers (Verizon, Cingular, etc.) don't offer rate plans comparable to Sprint's (I'm on the $50 Fair and Flexible 700 minutes plan with $5 no roaming, no long distance, nights and weekends starting at 9 PM, $15 PCS Vision Professional Pack (includes unlimited data usage with my Treo 650), and 100 SMS messages per month). Does anyone know if any of the other carriers might be willing to match this plan, or provide something close to it? Do any of the other carriers even do matching or help out customers who are interested in switching to their service? Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? Should I stay with Sprint? Should I leave? Is what they offered seem acceptable considering the circumstances and the trouble I went through? Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks, and sorry if this post ran a bit longer than I anticipated

- marc
    Last edited by mbressman; 05/25/2005 at 03:29 PM.
    Sprint is the cheapest and ok. Your problems with Sprint would have been the same with any major carrier. I have had Verizon problems and AT&T (cingular) that could match anything you mentioned above. Eventually they will get it right, when you talk to the right person. In the meantime you have to deal with any ***** who picks up the phone, like any other big corporation in America. At least you weren't transferred to Mumbai. That would have been icing on the cake.
  3. GXX
    Any chance you can break that up into paragraphs? I stopped reading halfway through...
  4.    #4  
    Ok...so I was happy to let sleeping dogs lie and take the offer they made me and move on with my life. Unfortunately, it seems as if Sprint isn't done screwing me around.

I, along with I'm sure many of you out there, make use of the voice-mail option on my cell phone. I also tend to get voicemails sometimes that I'd like to save. When I was with Nextel, and I attempted to save them, it clearly informed me that they would only be saved for 14 days from the point I was saving them. Not sure how Sprint's system worked, I attempted to save a voicemail, and there was no warning given to me that it would be deleted within a certain timeframe. To be absolutely sure, I called Sprint Customer Care and verified that a saved voice mail would remain saved and would not be removed until I deleted it, and even searched through my phone's documentation and sprint's documentation (both online and offline) to ensure that there was no contradictory information. Unfortunately, despite all of this, my saved voicemails have been deleted, and I now find out that saved voicemails only last on the system for so long (although no one seems to be able to give me an absolute timeframe...I've heard 10 days, 14 days and 30 days so far). I called Customer Care and spoke with a supervisor requesting that my voicemails be recovered. She connected me to Technical Support, which informed me that this wasn't possible. The original supervisor had also stated that if it wasn't possible to recover them, compensation could be discussed and she would note this on my account. Unfortunately, when I called back the second time and spoke with a customer care supervisor (Paul Schmidt, ID #: 7527) he was incredibly rude to me, told me the issue would go no further and compensation would not be offered. Certainly not pleased with the current situation, I called the Executive Services/Corporate # that I had used in the past to try and reach someone. I spoke with a corporate representative there who was vaguely familiar with my previous problems, but would not assist me since at this point, I've been offered a lot of compensation already (all for legitimate problems that I've had and major screw-ups that Sprint has caused) and haven't actually made any payments to Sprint yet (not that I'm not planning on it, since I'm locked into a 2 year contract, but my past compensation for other legitimate problems has so far allowed me to not yet have to pay anything to Sprint...however, this is a totally new and separate problem and so it should be looked at without regard to past problems). She stated that either she or the original corporate representative that I had been dealing with would get back to me on Tuesday. All I really want at this point is the $5/month unlimited SMS messaging plan (which many people have for free anyway since they were grandfathered into it) on my plan for free. I don't think thats asking for a lot, but I thought I'd post a continuation of my problems on here and see what everyone else thought. Am I asking for too much? Is there any other ways I can get this compensation for this legitimate voice-mail deletion problem? Any other ideas, suggestions, constructive criticism? Any help or information is appreciated! Thanks!

- marc
    Quote Originally Posted by mbressman
    Ok...so I was happy to let sleeping dogs lie and take the offer they made me and move on with my life. Unfortunately, it seems as if Sprint isn't done screwing me around.
    - marc
    You gotta learn how to work with folks. I had a $3,000 laptop replacement from Micron and - as expected they wanted to put a hold on my card for $3,000 (note, this should only be a HOLD, not an actual charge, which they can do for 10 days and in that timeframe either release it or capture it - just like hotels do).

I explained that nowhere in the warrantly plan did it state I'd have to pay this money. However, I needed my laptop next day. I said they could feel free to send a rep to pick it up from my house or I could send them a proof of mailing from the carrier, but that I could not let them put the hold on the card. They agreed.

In Sprint's case, it might have made better sense to agree to drop the phone off at a Sprint store (and get a receipt of return in writing). I don't buy companies' "We don't do that...". If you get to the right person they normally WILL do just that.

I have VZW and when billing told me they didn't have my insurance request on file and I needed to fax them my paperwork, I explained my paperwork was already en-route to my NY office. They said I'd need to wait because they needed that fax. Not wanting to go any amount of time without insurance, I called the local store and spoke with the manager. He handled everything, even gave me a statement that while it takes 2 weeks to update with VZW corporate, if anything should happen between no and then, he'd take care of it IN the store.

I have a colleague who had a 650 problem while on the road. He called a local Sprint store in Florida (he doesn't live here) and the next morning walked right in to the tech desk and traded out his phone. No problems, no hassles.

As for what you're asking, I think it's the wrong thing to be asking for. What you should have asked for was for them to COVER your late fees and overage charges ont he card (which is what they were responsible for occuring). I would make a copy of the card statement, send it in with the letter, making it clear they caused these fees to be billed against you and demand reimbursement. I've had this happen with other companies before and have received checks in the mail every single time. Asking for anything more than that raises red flags for them as well. They "might" have come back with a better offer (like giving you discounts).

The key is to ask for only what will fix the financial problem on the card and for replacement in a store to save time and money both ways. It sounds like both sides handled it improperly.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    hey mbressman..
    welcome to sprint service.....

I have been with sprint for a couple of years now. I too have had numerous problems with sprint.(to numerous to go into here) my problems were all related to adding the treo 650 with vission plan when I bought my 650 in december 04. the opinion I have is they aren't familiar with the 3G technology the cell companies are moving into. but alas I am still with them. they appear to have the best coverage around the US. being an over the road trucker, I need the best coverage at a good price. others I checked into were higher in price.

chuck
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi
    You gotta learn how to work with folks. ...

Pamela
    Wise words. You can't expect everything (or you can, but you need to do a little give and take when it matters). I guess I would have said thanks for the offer of three free months, and then think about it's value, and then propose an alternative that was in the same ball park but might have made me happier with out screwing the other side. That said, it is time for some logic: Your termination fee is probably $150. Three months of service has to be at at least in the same ball park. You could have accepted their offer, and used your saved payments to cover the termination fee if you later chose that route, or you could have suggested a compromise to the Sprint rep of reducing the contract to 1 year. (This is worth about $50-100 to them.) At this point you could say that you are not happy but that you really want the relationship to get better ASAP. Maybe at this point they might offer one of the two monthly savings you wanted, but you really need to adjust your expectations and recognize that there are humans on the other side, and that they will be more willing to help if you try and work with them. Personally, I think these requests of yours for $5/m off here and there are a little unreasonable and clouding the real issue that you had. You signed up for a service at a certain price, you agreed to these prices. Other people typically get incentives because they adopted Sprint when Vision was a newer thing and noone (customers or vendors) really knew how to price this. $15/m for data is not unreasonable for Vision. Sprint surcharges Windoze Smartphones an additional $15 for a total of 30. Verizon charges around $40/m additional for data. While I feel $40 if too much, $15 is reasonable. No customer likes a 2 year contract, but I just signed up for one because my wife's phone needed replacing. Sometimes I just have to keep telling myself to be happy with what I have. That goes a long way. I used to get upset when someone might be getting a better deal than me, but its not worth the stress and agravation to me or those around me. Maybe you're not in the same boat, but hopefully my advice can help you to get past at least your current problems with Sprint.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    First of all, you're playing with fire on calling Sprint customer service. I can't even get a break in employee accounts -- they're always very rude and totally unwilling to help with anything.

Going into a store, speaking with a manager face-to-face, presenting all of your applicable paperwork (receipts, bills, notes, etc.) and being very calm and professional will get you a courtesy credit in a heartbeat.

I've never heard of anyone charging for a replacement... usually we order the replacement and you come pick it up when it comes in and we do the exchange then and there. In fact... I really question why this was done.

Meghan Edmonds
    Technical Service Representative

Sprint PCS, Brookwood
    1925 Peachtree Road
    Atlanta, GA 30309
    Voice: 404.351.2225
    Fax: 404.350.7266
    I'm sorry, but I'm going to go on a tirade here.

I was deceived by a Sprint CSR and a retail store sale clerk when they told me that on the 15th day of my contract I COULD return my Treo 650 and avoid an Early Termination Fee ("ETF"). At first, the store clerk asked his manager whether the equipment after the 14 day policy. I was met with a stern "NO". I was then invited to call Sprint Customer Care and speak with a CSR. I explained my circumstances to them and why I couldn't return the phone on the 14th day.

The CSR agreed to the return of the phone and cancellation of the contract without charging an ETF. The CSR then asked to speak with the sales clerk in the store. After the call, I confirmed with the sales clerk that I would not be charged an ETF. He confirmed the same.

A month or so afterwards I received a horrendous bill. Since then (two months ago) I've been fighting with Sprint about the CSR's decision to waive the ETF. They claim they have no record of it and the account is not annotated as such.

Long story short...I have NEVER in my life as a consumer of ANY product been dealt the kind of irresponsible and generally pathetic customer service as I have with Sprint. I don't think I'll ever associate myself with this company or its products.

Currently, I have a letter going to the Executive Board in London, Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by ergosum
    First of all, you're playing with fire on calling Sprint customer service. I can't even get a break in employee accounts -- they're always very rude and totally unwilling to help with anything.

Going into a store, speaking with a manager face-to-face, presenting all of your applicable paperwork (receipts, bills, notes, etc.) and being very calm and professional will get you a courtesy credit in a heartbeat.

I've never heard of anyone charging for a replacement... usually we order the replacement and you come pick it up when it comes in and we do the exchange then and there. In fact... I really question why this was done.
    You are all nuts!
    1. I can't believe you (original poster)thought you could get them to agree to no contract. They're a wireless company!!! That's all you are to them! I could have stopped reading your post right there.
    2. They offered THREE months free and you're still not happy?!? What's wrong with you! I've worked with Sprint seven years and I've never seen them offer anything that good! The only thing you might have done was ask them to cover the charges on your card, as the earlier poster said, but I bet they didn't equal three months service!
    3. You need to understand their language. "Service" is their currency. Most CSR's, if not all, don't have anyway to send you money! And you're asking to be let out of the contract was tantamount to saying "I KNOW somebody will offer me something better eventually. When they do, can I take it without you getting mad?" How do you think that would go over with your girlfriend or wife? Then why do you expect it to go over well with Sprint? Think, McFly, think!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    You are all nuts!
    1. I can't believe you (original poster)thought you could get them to agree to no contract. They're a wireless company!!! That's all you are to them! I could have stopped reading your post right there.
    2. They offered THREE months free and you're still not happy?!? What's wrong with you! I've worked with Sprint seven years and I've never seen them offer anything that good! The only thing you might have done was ask them to cover the charges on your card, as the earlier poster said, but I bet they didn't equal three months service!
    3. You need to understand their language. "Service" is their currency. Most CSR's, if not all, don't have anyway to send you money! And you're asking to be let out of the contract was tantamount to saying "I KNOW somebody will offer me something better eventually. When they do, can I take it without you getting mad?" How do you think that would go over with your girlfriend or wife? Then why do you expect it to go over well with Sprint? Think, McFly, think!
    Hey, no offense, but there's no reason to to call me nuts or that whole McFly reference...if you disagree fine, but lets keep it civil, shall we?

If they had done to you what they did to me, you'd probably be smokin' mad too...and them giving me 3 months free doesn't really cost them anything...lets not forget that...
    ...and them giving me 3 months free doesn't really cost them anything...lets not forget that...
    Is this about PUNISHING Sprint, or is it about you getting FAIR COMPENSATION for troubles caused to you? If it is punishment you are after - GOOD LUCK! If it is fair compensation you seek, 3 free months (with all of the addons you noted in your plan) works out to be over $200!! What's not fair about that? It may not "cost" Sprint anything, but those 3 months surewould "cost" you something.

I can understand your anger, and still being unhappy overall with Sprint, but problems occur with any company and although the hassle was sizeable, $200 is more than I have seen Sprint offer anybody as a resolution to a problem!
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Please recognize that individuals are what comprises a company. Bad experiences with individuals seem to be the problem in this case, and I would recommend gathering your thoughts, perhaps even writing yourself some notes, and finding yourself another rep to speak with -- one who is unfamiliar with the situation. Approach him or her very professionally and it's very likely that they will do whatever is within their power to help you so long as you maintain that attitude.

Rep shopping, as bad as it sounds, usually has a pretty high return rate. If one rep is not willing to help, find another one who might be. This is the case with every company out there.

I hate to hear that you've had such a bad experience, but on behalf of Sprint as a whole, I hope that you'll not hold the actions of a few of our employees against the rest of the company.

Meghan Edmonds
    Technical Service Representative

Sprint PCS, Brookwood
    1925 Peachtree Road
    Atlanta, GA 30309
    Voice: 404.351.2225
    Fax: 404.350.7266
    I am a Trouble Managment rep. I assure you that alot of the techs would like to help as much as they can. But we are not authorized to do half the stuff we are asked to do. I would love to send someone a phone instead of sending them to a store that is 50 miles away. but in my department we are not authorized to do it. and neither are our managers. but no matter how much I would love to do these things if i did do them I would be fired in a heartbeat. I hope everyone does get good reps in the future.

And a very good look on the bright side. Sprint is giving every call center a new program which will help track down bad reps. so anytime you call in the rep you are speaking with will leave a "finger print" on the account and then if something goes wrong or you are misinformed they will be able to track them down. and will also help with mistransfers which is something that happens to my department alot. usaully customer service sends us techs. who have no billing training at all alot of billing calls. and then since we have no training on it we have to send back to billing.
    Last edited by TreoTech; 07/07/2005 at 01:45 PM.
    You can not belive how good the "finger print" software sounds. Maybe this will keep reps from telling me something not true (e.g. Changed primary phone to my Treo, bill went up over 40%, after rep said it would not effect ANYTHING).

GB
    Hey, no offense, but there's no reason to to call me nuts or that whole McFly reference...if you disagree fine, but lets keep it civil, shall we?

If they had done to you what they did to me, you'd probably be smokin' mad too...and them giving me 3 months free doesn't really cost them anything...lets not forget that...
    ...but as someone who deals with customers all day, it can truly seem from this side of the counter that people expect the world for, like, two nickels. Genuinely I would probably be upset too, but I honestly believe three free months would fix it for me.
    As far as calling you nuts, I guess I'm guilty, although the actual line was "You are all nuts" which I guess I felt made it a little easier to swallow, since it was directed at you and everyone agreeing with you. As far as McFly goes, I never really saw that as an insult. The guy does win in the end, and gets the girl to boot. I always just thought it was a funny way of pointing out what should have been obvious. Guess not. Sorry.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ...but as someone who deals with customers all day, it can truly seem from this side of the counter that people expect the world for, like, two nickels. Genuinely I would probably be upset too, but I honestly believe three free months would fix it for me.
    As far as calling you nuts, I guess I'm guilty, although the actual line was "You are all nuts" which I guess I felt made it a little easier to swallow, since it was directed at you and everyone agreeing with you. As far as McFly goes, I never really saw that as an insult. The guy does win in the end, and gets the girl to boot. I always just thought it was a funny way of pointing out what should have been obvious. Guess not. Sorry.
    Hey, don't worry 'bout it. I was definitely just being over-sensitive there, and should not have over-reacted to being called that. It's just that on the 'net its hard to tell those who are just kidding around with those are genuinely being mean-spirited.
    A bit off topic but...

Kudo's to both of you for handling that whole situation like a couple of adults. The OP stated what he had a problem w/ and Drdoom prmptly explained the context and apologized even though it seemed like a misunderstanding.

The OP accepted the apology and then let Drdoom off the hook by saying he was a little oversensitive.

Wish everyone here could act as mature as both of you!!!
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Hello mbressman. I'm a bit late to this topic, and feel compelled to express to you some things that came to mind; begining with your original post. I mean no harm so please, dont take offense. My apologies for such a long post, but the OP started this.

First, I hope your father is doing better. Second, sorry that your initial experience with Sprint hasnt been a blast, but something like this could have happened with ANY carrier; it just happened to happen with Sprint.

I realize we all have to vent when things just dont go right, you're venting seemed (IMO) demanding; for lack of a better word. Yes, they messed up and did what they thought was feasible to solve the problem. But if I have read all this corrrectly, it comes off sounding like you thought that the best way to solve the problem was to enlist you with all types of freebies and goodies.

Now try, if you will, looking at this from the other end. Imagine the person you speaking with may just be thinking this guy is trying to get over on services. Here you are, a new customer, (and many of us didnt get the perks the minute we signed up with them), yet you want these things immediately and you havent been a customer for 30 days and your reasoning is because Sprint messed up? It is actions such as this that raises speculation. If we all could be "let out of our contracts" that would be financial suicide to the company.

I think my main focus would have been Sprint taking care of whatever charges they helped incur on my credit card; and based on what they offered you, in the scheme of things, they did.

All I really want at this point is the $5/month unlimited SMS messaging plan (which many people have for free anyway since they were grandfathered into it) on my plan for free.
    Grandfathered and FREE dont compare. It just seems that with every phone call you made to corporate, you wanted something and expected that it should be given to you.

I spoke with a corporate representative there who was vaguely familiar with my previous problems, but would not assist me since at this point, I've been offered a lot of compensation already (all for legitimate problems that I've had and major screw-ups that Sprint has caused) and haven't actually made any payments to Sprint yet (not that I'm not planning on it, since I'm locked into a 2 year contract, but my past compensation for other legitimate problems has so far allowed me to not yet have to pay anything to Sprint...however, this is a totally new and separate problem and so it should be looked at without regard to past problems).
    When Sprint looks at your account, they take into consideration the ENTIRE account and not just a portion of it. By your words alone, your account reflects compensations made by Sprint; look at it from this point of view.....in all honesty, they didnt have to offer you anything other than an apology and allow you to take your services elsewhere.

She connected me to Technical Support, which informed me that this wasn't possible. The original supervisor had also stated that if it wasn't possible to recover them, compensation could be discussed and she would note this on my account. Unfortunately, when I called back the second time and spoke with a customer care supervisor (Paul Schmidt, ID #: 7527) he was incredibly rude to me, told me the issue would go no further and compensation would not be offered.
    And my final thought - your voice mail issue. Sprint retains voice mails on the server for 30 days, afterwhich, they are deleted. No one is given any advanced notice, at least not with Sprint. Neither they or any other provider is responsible for keeping your messages indefinitely. You say you called Sprint Customer Care and verified that a saved voice mail would remain saved and would not be removed until I deleted it. I am having trouble with this because they know for a fact that 30 days is all you get. And about the supervisor transferring you to tech support regarding the voice mail issues, it was probably because she couldnt get you to understand that what you wanted to happen (retrieval) wasnt possible. Maybe you needed to hear it from someone else.

And then, that word again....compensation. Not everything that happens to you with Sprint is going to be fixed with compensation. It wouldnt surprise me that when you call them, red flags go up because you'll want to be compensated for something.
    ~ ScandaLous ~