Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

    I just got the Verizon Treo 650 delivered, and currently am in the 15 day trial period. I am new at this site and therefore appologize, if this thread has been previously covered.

    I have had verizon for the last 2 years, and have been generally happy with the coverage, but I have never had the data package before.

    I am planning on using the unlimited data package that verizon offers, but after learning that it will cost $45/month, I am having second thoughts.

    I would like to know other user's opinion on the benefits of verizon vs sprint.

    Sprint's data package is $15/month, and is there any downside to choosing Sprint over verizon?

    Is there a difference in network coverage and speed?

    I travel quite a bit, and I want to find out if there will be many problems for network connectivity and data usage in other parts of the country with sprint.

    My understanding has been that Verizon has a very large network and most metropolitian areas are covered.

    I appoligize in advance, if this has been covered, and would appreciate any input.

    Sincerely,

    Rizwan Pasha
    Dayton, Ohio
  2. #2  
    Metro areas should be fine. Also, Sprint will roam on VZW digital towers. I had VZW since they were still Airtouch, and switched in December to get the 650. I have some spots that I drop signal, but then I have some spots (like my living room) where I get 4 bars, instead of "searching for signal" as I would often get on VZW.

    VZW was eating me up with it's data rates and limited text plans. Now I can go online, and text for a third of what I paid with VZW.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by riznet
    Hi,

    I just got the Verizon Treo 650 delivered, and currently am in the 15 day trial period. I am new at this site and therefore appologize, if this thread has been previously covered.

    I have had verizon for the last 2 years, and have been generally happy with the coverage, but I have never had the data package before.

    I am planning on using the unlimited data package that verizon offers, but after learning that it will cost $45/month, I am having second thoughts.

    I would like to know other user's opinion on the benefits of verizon vs sprint.

    Sprint's data package is $15/month, and is there any downside to choosing Sprint over verizon?

    Is there a difference in network coverage and speed?

    I travel quite a bit, and I want to find out if there will be many problems for network connectivity and data usage in other parts of the country with sprint.

    My understanding has been that Verizon has a very large network and most metropolitian areas are covered.

    I appoligize in advance, if this has been covered, and would appreciate any input.

    Sincerely,

    Rizwan Pasha
    Dayton, Ohio
    I was looking at the same issue. If I signed a 2-year with sprint I would save $720 (in data) in those 2-years due to it being 1/3 of the cost.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Logical
    I was looking at the same issue. If I signed a 2-year with sprint I would save $720 (in data) in those 2-years due to it being 1/3 of the cost.
    Paying $45 a month for 1xRTT data service with VZW is nuts. I had SPCS coverage for 8 years before jumping to the VZW for the 6600 and EVDO. I'm questioning that move occasionally now.

    I think you would be fine with SPCS provided you're traveling to major metro areas. Roaming will take care of the rest.

    Good Luck,

    Bob Duckworth
  5.    #5  
    Are there any verizon users out there, who would rather stay with verizon than switch to sprint? If so, why?

    What are the pros and cons of both carriers, besides price?

    So, far I have only heard from sprint users.

    I have a business acount with Verizon and therefore get a 17% discount on all their services. The actual additional cost of verizon compared to sprint is an additional 10$ per month for my account. I get 400 minutes for $40 and unlimited data package for $45. With the discount it comes to $70 (approximately)

    This is compared to 60$ for a comparable price for minutes and data package at sprint.

    Rizwan Pasha
  6. #6  
    I switched to Sprint and their fair and flex plan.

    last month I used a tremendous amount of minutes (1450) due to the passing of my mom and the arrangements and it only cost me $120.

    if I were still on VZW it would have cost me easilly double that.

    VZW was starting to annoy me with their nickle and diming me to death anyway.

    Sprint's coverage is pretty close to VZW. the only noticable differences are in VERY remote rural areas.

    best of luck to you. $15 data is hard to resist.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  7. #7  
    I have been with Verizon since before they were Verizon (Airtouch) there is a few arguments I would like to make. Sure, Sprint has attractive prices, but the reason I have not switched is because with Verizon you can do so much with their customer service. If I EVER have a problem...I get a $50 courtesy credit.

    For example, A few months ago my Treo 600 kept restarting with no end when I sent or received a text message. Although this was palmOne's fault, Verizon gave me a $50 courtesy credit and a $44.99 Data Plan credit for my one week of hell.

    Also, Verizon's coverage is much better than Sprint's coverage while traveling. Sprint is wonderful if you are going to stay in California, but I have traveled with people who have Sprint phones and they constantly ask to use my phone.

    The bottom line is if you don't travel then Sprint is something to consider. If you do travel and require use of your phone while doing so and want great customer service which I can confirm, Verizon is the way to go. Sprint does not roam on more than half of Verizon's towers.
  8. #8  
    Airod- I disagree with you on the travelling point. I have Sprint and used to be in consulting. I travelled all over the US for 4 years...through my travels to hundreds of cities, the only times I had poor/no coverage, I was really in the middle of nowhere. For example...China Lake, CA and around the desert. Coverage was spotty. Also very rural parts of Washington State, Georgia, Ohio, etc. you get the point.

    For the most part, Sprint's coverage is very, very good. Add their cheap, fast data and I don't see a compelling reason why I would pay double for the same service @ VZW.

    All my opinion/experience of course.
    Last edited by ericshmerick; 05/22/2005 at 11:15 PM.
  9. #9  
    Reasons to stick with Verizon: coverage outside of major metro areas is better than Sprint.

    Reasons to go with Sprint: cheaper. Coverage in major metro areas is about the same.

    From what you described, you're only saving $10 a month going to Sprint. If you travel to any non-major metro areas, stick with Verizon.

    I had Sprint for two years. Good coverage in metro areas, bad coverage outside major metro areas, and bad customer service. I switched to Verizon because I was told they had good customer service, and better coverage. I've had Verizon for several years now.

    My opinion on CS: the quality of customer service depends on which rep you get on any given day, and is usually just as bad with Verizon as it was with Sprint. I don't think anyone should ever switch cell carriers just for "customer service." For example, the Sprint CS rep I got was *fantastic* when I called because my phone had been stolen, but terrible when I called about my contract renewal options. On the other end, the Verizon CS rep I got was terrible when I called because the MOT v60 battery died and I could only use my phone when it was plugged in, but fantastic when I called to update my billing information.

    My opinion on coverage: Verizon's got a slight advantage, and mostly outside of major metro areas. Verizon also seems to have fewer localized holes in its service, where Sprint occasionally has neighborhoods that just seem to be dead zones.
  10. #10  
    I, too, travel as a consultant and had no problem with SPCS coverage. In the off-the-map places, they have roaming agreements to provide coverage. Can be a bit expensive, but the phone worked. Don't expect data service out there everywhere though.

    I jumped to VZW for EVDO coverage primarily, and their expansion of that seems to be a bit lacking IMO.

    Bob Duckworth
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    I had SPCS coverage for 8 years before jumping to the VZW for the 6600 and EVDO. I'm questioning that move occasionally now.
    Is EVDO not living up to expectations?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw
    Is EVDO not living up to expectations?
    No, its great when you can find it. I travel and get to EVDO areas regularly, but leaving them and going back to 1xRTT areas makes it difficult to wait for the handset to do it's thing. They just seems a bit slow implementing EVDO coverage around the rest of the country.

    Bob Duckworth
  13. gpu
    gpu is offline
    gpu's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by airoid
    Sure, Sprint has attractive prices, but the reason I have not switched is because with Verizon you can do so much with their customer service. If I EVER have a problem...I get a $50 courtesy credit.
    .....
    Also, Verizon's coverage is much better than Sprint's coverage while traveling. Sprint is wonderful if you are going to stay in California, but I have traveled with people who have Sprint phones and they constantly ask to use my phone.

    The bottom line is if you don't travel then Sprint is something to consider. If you do travel and require use of your phone while doing so and want great customer service which I can confirm, Verizon is the way to go. Sprint does not roam on more than half of Verizon's towers.
    I have to disagree. Just two weeks ago I got a $50 courtesy credit on Sprint. Their international rates are also better.

    I think the difference in coverage has become trivial. I travel quite a lot my self and don't find myself ever asking to use a collegues verizon phone.
  14. lazaruz's Avatar
    Posts
    136 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #14  
    i am counting the days until my contract expires with vzw
    they are money hungry ***holes
    customer service really stinks - they have 2 give you credits and minutes because they are always being caught doing something wrong....
    i know it means that i will have to purchase a new treo (there will always be a newer better treo) but when my 2yr contract expires on february 10, 2006 i am switching my treo and 2 other lines

Posting Permissions