Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Am waiting til June to possibly purchase the 650 so I can use my NE2. Would love to know what people actually think of the 650 when they get it and use it for a bit. Was not impresssed after all the issues that seemed to happen on the Sprint version. Please keep updating with usage
    So far I am very pleased with my Treo 650. I have been using it for 1 week without any real problem.

This is my first convergent device - used a Palm Zire and LG phone before - and it is wonderful having everything in one place.

Here are my general comments:

The 650's reception is very good in my area, in fact, better than my previous LG phone. Sound quality is also very good.

Versamail has been fine - I love the ability to check my several different email accounts. A few times, while checking email on one of my accounts, it caused the 650 to reset, but I "repaired" the account entry and everything has been fine.

Purchased the Palm Bluetooth headset for use in the car and it works well.

So, all in all, I like the Treo 650 VERY much and have experienced no real problems with it so far.
    Treo 650 Update:

I have updated this since my last post. I received my Treo 650 on Monday from Verizon and these are my first observations.
    First, the phone itself looks really nice with a nice silver and grey look. The buttons are better than the 600 and only has one power button. The screen resolution is Soooo much better. It has a better interface when using the phone. You can see upcoming appointments in the phone mode. There are some improvements with favorites. Blazer is much faster and is a little different. I upgraded from the 600 and used the backup conduit to get all my old programs to the 650. (I use a Apple Powerbook). Everything transferred fine. I really enjoy the version of Docs to Go, but it has no spell checker. You have to upgrade for that. I did have some problems syncing the Word to Go docs with my mac, but when I made the files Microsoft docs instead of the default Word to Go, it worked fine. BlueTooth is great and worked well with sync. You will notice the everything works faster. I didn't like versa mail and use Snapper instead which works very well. Real player is pre-installed, but I haven't tried it yet. The only real downfalls to this phone are the camera, that is better than the 600 but still not great, and the poor built in memory.

I have used it a few days now and have found it to be much more stable than the 600 (not one crash yet). I have just installed pocket quicken and card export 2. They both work like a charm. My Bible reader is very fast with this phone. I'm enjoying it much better than the 600. I have had some problems with texting internationally, but I am not sure if it is a glitch with the phone or the network.

I would recommend the upgrade from the 600.
    Last edited by revhoban; 05/21/2005 at 11:32 PM.
    I've had it for 8 days now. I had my first soft reset the first day after my first hot sync and the Kinoma player froze it.
    I deleted it and it's been smooth sailing..... until today. I got a call, and was showing a friend how I can use Ringo to use a MP3 as a ringtone.
    While waiting to push the answer button, it did a reset on its own.
    After that, they called back, and at the end of the conversation, it reset again.
    Seems OK now, but I was concerned my stable VZW 650 had switched itself for an unstable Cingular one. ; )
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    stable and working fine running nearly everything i had on my vzw 600. still have 1/2 memory free too with powerun (which i used before also)..no regrets
    Great! You will like it. Had for about 5 days and no problems....
    As you can see from my sig, I am Palm addicted...... and, I use my mobile a lot for work and personal use.

I was waiting for the Treo to be available on Verizon. After having got mine last week (via work B2B rep) I've gotta say that I'm really, really happy. I was concerned about the smaller screen (coming from a T5), but it is so bright and clear that I barely miss it.

I was also concerned about less internal memory. But, with PowerRun (after being a LauncerX user for years, I ran out of need for it) I've got tons of available RAM.

It's been trouble free for a week. While I haven't gotten much sleep, I took the "big step" - hard reset my T5, gave it to my wife, and haven't looked back.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    Have mine for five days now. No crashes yet! Have transferred over all my programs from my Tungsten C and 7135. Had to move non vital programs to the card so as not to fill the memory up on phone. 1 meg card able to hold most of the programs and back up the phone programs also. Kept programs that run better on phone and use card for all programs that have no difference if run by phone or card. Memory seem to handle my demands ok so far. Love the voice dialing, can dial name and numbers without having to set up a voice dial list, works from contacts. Asks you if there is more than one number for contact, which one is requested. (very good when alt numbers have different area codes, only needs first 2 numbers to go) I will update as time and usage continues.
    Quote Originally Posted by revhoban
    Treo 650 Update:

You can see upcoming appointments in the phone mode.

I would recommend the upgrade from the 600.

I read somewhere that the 650 calendar does not have a week view, only a daily view. I use the 600 regularly in week view to make sure of all my appointments for several days. Is this true or does the650 calendar work like the 600?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    5 days for me as well. Upgraded from a 7135.

I do think the 7135 made a better phone than the 650, the clam shell design really feels better to me. I have a bluetooth headset coming this week so that one issue will be resolved very fast .

Overall the 650 is great, and I would recomend it to anybody looking for a good palm phone device.
    Had my first crash last night. While load a program that had to be on the phone,not the card the phone went into a loop. I finished the hot sync and the phone went from the Palm Logo to the Palm screen with the bar going across the bottom. Had to do a hard reset and hot sync from computer to restore the data. The memory or lack there of is still a problem. My 7135 and Tungsten C never had a problem using on board memory. All my programs that can run form the card are now on the card to give me enought memory to run from the phone. Let the testing continue.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that when you dim the screenlight the keyboard lights dim as well. I can actually turn off the keyboard lights if I dim the screen totally. This is different from the Sprint model. Hopefully this is standard for the Verizon model and not a defect in my phone. If it is standard, I'm not too sure if I like it yet. I guess time will tell.

Mo
    Quote Originally Posted by SloMo
    Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that when you dim the screenlight the keyboard lights dim as well. I can actually turn off the keyboard lights if I dim the screen totally. This is different from the Sprint model. Hopefully this is standard for the Verizon model and not a defect in my phone. If it is standard, I'm not too sure if I like it yet. I guess time will tell.

Mo
    I read somewhere that is a feature on the GSM Treo 650 model as well. I just got mine and will see if that is indeed a "feature".
    Mine does this as well. I like it - means I can read in a dark room and dim everything to an appropriate level without resorting to a new utility.

Quote Originally Posted by SloMo

Mo
    No, it does have a week view - in addition to day, month, year and agenda views.

Quote Originally Posted by matzentosh
    I read somewhere that the 650 calendar does not have a week view, only a daily view. I use the 600 regularly in week view to make sure of all my appointments for several days. Is this true or does the650 calendar work like the 600?
    No crashes, no freezes, no resets. Only three additional apps running so far beyond the supplied apps.
    Calls have been strong. Zero dropped calls and I am a heavy phone user. I have really struggled with a number of PDA's and various other tools of the sort. This is the first one that just clicks for me.

Nothing but praise so far.

(I am having trouble sending pop3 mail with Versa, but I think that is a server-side issue...I think)
    Quote Originally Posted by matzentosh
    No Week view is still there. You can also color code your appointments and costomize them.
    Had mine and wifes for about ten days. Initially had an awful time setting them up in regard to reset loops, etc- but all seems stable and working well now. Ended up following Palm's upgrade instructions from 600 to 650 and literally added one app at a time only after checking developers website to make sure each was compatible. Still need to add one or two apps to mine that are memory intensive and waiting till I move some items to the card with PowerRun. Both wife and I use the TWH and, also after initially being buggy, seems to be working quite nicely now. One issue with mine is a manual backup with BackupMan causes a soft reset. There is another thread on this. I do have Butler installed, but had this issue before I put Butler on- developer is not sure what it is. Also, PalmOne cradle is EXTREMELY tempermental- my unit syncs almost always, wifes unit almost never syncs. Weird... Happy with the units though- love the hi-res screen and BT. Happy we made the switch.
  19.    #19  
    Still looking for 650 feedback. don't want to jump on board yet if there are similiar issues as to when the Sprint model first came out.
    I am totally completely in love w/ my T650!!! No probs of any sort & volume is good thus far!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast