Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Still no resets, no dropped calls, no problems from the VZW/650 side. Still a server issue with sending e-mail but it will be solved by RTFM I am sure.

2. sj3
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Great build quality, great volume, great aesthetics with the verizon (probably 600) case. Only a couple of dropped calls from the back room of my store. No complaints except two s/w complaints coming from a Kyo 7135. I am running TakePhone as my 'shell' and TealPhone as my contact db.

a) If someone calls and I have to push the volume button(s) to silence the ringer if I can't pick up, all I needed to do was to open my 7135 and it would tell me exactly what happened...missed call, voice mail, from whom, etc. No such luck on the 650. I need to tap a couple of times to get in to call history to see what happened. Please let me know if I'm missing something as I haven't had any time to read the direction. Picked up last Monday.

b) I have a some phone numbers in the 'notes' field of several contacts. On the 7135, I could highlight the number and push send and it would call. With the 650, I need to remember the number getting from TealPhone to TakePhone to dail it manually.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

sj
    I came from the 7135 also. In dealing with problem 1, you could look at the screen when turning the volume down to see who called. Also it shows missed calls in the call log. In problem 2, I purchased the voice dialing that came with the 650. It works great and by saying the person(s) name it dials the number. If more than one number is available , it asked you which number and displays numbers in that contact. Almost forgot the person(s) have to be in your contact list. Hope that helps. The only problem I have is when setting up the voice dialer,it must be done by the same method you recorded your voice test on the program. I use the voice dialing in the car so I set it up using my car kit. When not in the car and I just speak into the phone it sometimes asks me to repeat the name or number. It's not a problem, I just tap the correct number and it dials. The program was only $20 and I got a 20% discount thru Handango so for $16 it makes life much easier in the car and somewhat better for general use.
    Last edited by LEONARDKL; 05/29/2005 at 08:01 AM. Reason: made an error
  4. sj3
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Thanks much. The only thing is, on problem (a), I can't really take the Treo off my belt to read the screen as I'm usually with a customer when the phone rings and I can't get it. Then, I just feel for one of the volume buttons to silence it. I guess I should put the call log in TakePhone's phone-button rotation list so it's quick and easy and doesn't require many key presses. Also, I've been wanting to try the voice dialing.

Thanks again,

sj
    Quote Originally Posted by sj3
    Great build quality, great volume, great aesthetics with the verizon (probably 600) case. Only a couple of dropped calls from the back room of my store. No complaints except two s/w complaints coming from a Kyo 7135. I am running TakePhone as my 'shell' and TealPhone as my contact db.

a) If someone calls and I have to push the volume button(s) to silence the ringer if I can't pick up, all I needed to do was to open my 7135 and it would tell me exactly what happened...missed call, voice mail, from whom, etc. No such luck on the 650. I need to tap a couple of times to get in to call history to see what happened. Please let me know if I'm missing something as I haven't had any time to read the direction. Picked up last Monday.

b) I have a some phone numbers in the 'notes' field of several contacts. On the 7135, I could highlight the number and push send and it would call. With the 650, I need to remember the number getting from TealPhone to TakePhone to dail it manually.

sj
    Hi,

If you use 2day, you can see an icon for missed calls, select it to go directly to call-log.

If you install and activate TkPhOS5Hk.prc (supplied with TAKEphONE), you can dial any highlighted number (just like on the 7135).

Thanks.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  6. sj3
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Thanks, Shimon. I totally remember you from smartphonesource in my 7135 days. Since my Treo is brand new, I don't have a hack manager installed yet, which I suspect I will need to activate your .prc. Are there any suggestions for a decent hack manager? Please also let me know if I don't need one (I don't plan right now on installing any other hacks.

Thanks very much and shalom,

sj
    Hi,

The good old days...

You dont need a hack manager for the Treo 650 (no hacks in OS-5).
    You just need to install tkphos5hk.prc, run, and activate it's options.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    I have a 650 with cingular now and I am having wayyy too many issues with it so I am thinking of switching to verizon. the main problem I'm having is with earpiece volume. has that issue been resolved in the verizon version? sorry if this is already posyed, I'm doing this with my phone.

thanks
    According to the review, the Verizon 650 has a measurably higher volume to the ear piece along with a few other changes. I believe the number was something 20% louder to the earpiece. Some people have posted that it is still too quiet. Mine seems fine except in very loud back grounds. I would bring an earpiece, go to a verizon store, plug it in and compare.

Good luck.
    My Verizon Treo 650 has no trouble with volume. I also like the Wireless Sync push email as well. I went geocaching with my Treo today and as I found each cache I logged it on geocaching.com. It's like being in gadget heaven!!!!!
    I still can't decide what to do. my buddies say I'm difficult to hear and understand and I can barley hear people on the phone. I really love everything else with the treo but I can't have the phone part not working properly. thanks,
    mike
    Get the phone and return it within 14 days if it doesn't meet your expectations.
    Had mine for a week and a half & absolutely love it! I was using a palmOne Zire 72 and holding onto an old Moto T720 cellphone while saving my New-Every-2 credit for the day when I could get the VW Treo 650!! Well worth the wait!

I run a few apps including heavy use of Datebk 5. It's great having the web too. I only had one minor freeze when on the web which required a soft reset. I upgrade the Voice Dial, which works very well.

I also signed up for Verizon's $5/month txt and pix messaging, which includes unlimited txt and photos for 'In' network users. Also, I signed up for a data plan which includes 40Mb per month for $20.

Added a Krusell Handit II case & couldn't be more happy

Man, I love this thing!!!!!!

-jeff
    I had a 7135 and then a Treo 600 before I upgraded to the 650. I was a little worried about space because of the new file system changed the minimum file size, among other things. Now that I have had it awhile, it's all pretty transparent and not an issue.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone-Ike

I also signed up for Verizon's $5/month txt and pix messaging, which includes unlimited txt and photos for 'In' network users. Also, I signed up for a data plan which includes 40Mb per month for $20.
    You may want to check the details again. Verizon offers pay-per-kilobyte, $10Mb for $25 and unlimited for $45.
    Last edited by PabloTX; 06/02/2005 at 09:53 AM.
    How did you get this app in Handango? I was looking all over for this app so I can buy it other than from the "Register" button from the app itself?

Quote Originally Posted by LEONARDKL
    ...The program was only $20 and I got a 20% discount thru Handango so for $16 it makes life much easier in the car and somewhat better for general use.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadowWRX
    I still can't decide what to do. my buddies say I'm difficult to hear and understand and I can barley hear people on the phone. I really love everything else with the treo but I can't have the phone part not working properly. thanks,
    mike

ShadowWRX, I wonder if I discovered what could be going on with your reception...
    Yesterday and was juggling my usual assortment of calls on my 650 and on two or three calls the caller would say that they had difficulty hearing me. After experimenting around, I found that wind blowing on the earbud mic was cancelling out my talking or something like that. I wonder too if sufficient back ground noise could do the same thing?
    I have a new earbud/mic set up arriving today and will be running it hard starting immediately. We will see if that solves that issue.

Also, had my first two resets/crashes. They both occured while running Ptunes and then checking my e-mail via versamail.
    Some kind of conflict apparently.

Also installed the TCPMP and have been playing movies without a hitch. Amazing, and it blows people away.

"What kind of phone is that?" they always ask.

Hell if I know. Aliens dropped it on my door step.
    Frenzytom, The trial version was on the CD supplied with the phone. I called Handango on there 800 number and got the unlock code. I could not download the registration because I didn't have data service at the time. It was very easy, just call and give credit card info and they e-mail you the unlock code. Best of luck with your 650. The 650 I have is from VZN.
    Last edited by LEONARDKL; 06/03/2005 at 07:07 AM. Reason: errot in spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by sj3

sj
    This may be the answer; when a call or email is missed you will see a flashing asterisk(*) is the upper left hand corner Tap & Hold will bring up a screen detailing all missed calls and emails
    Started using Seidio headset for phone functions and it increases sound volume by about 30% in one ear or by much more with both ear buds in place. Also, haven't had a single complaint about phone clarity since I began using the Seidio. Build quality is so-so China manufacture but works well.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast