1.    #1  
    Just got my Treo (loving it).

The only issue I've run into with dozens of apps of add ons is that I can't send mail from Optonline (Cablevision).

I know that the SMTP servers are right, 'cause I use them on mail2wap.com with no problem.

I know that Versamail is cool 'cause I can access my personal domain's mail servers.

But, when trying to send mail to Optonline I get "unable to connect to mail.optonline.net"

I spent most of yesterday morning going back and forth between asses at Verizon and asses at Cablevision with no joy.

I'm sure that if I were able to get to the right level someone who isn't reading from a script could tell me who is creating the block (I tend to think it's Optonline). I'm soon going to write some letters to management folks but, before I do, wanted to know if there are any members in the group who have either experienced the same thing or, more importantly, solved the problem.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    Are you sure you're allowed to use optonline's SMTP server outside of their network? I've never used mail2wap.com, so I don't know how things are setup there. I would expect that you wouldn't be able to use their SMTP server. Can't you use your personal domain's SMTP server instead? There's nothing that says you have to use optonline's SMTP server, because as long as your Reply-to is set, you don't have to worry which mail server your email goes out through.
  3.    #3  
    Yes, I could change the reply to, but have two accounts, one to receive mail and one to send. So, I can't reply to mail or forward mail that I receive on Optonline.

Just sent an email tonight to Cablevision. A quick Google with "optonline +verizon +mail" turned up others with the same issue but no solution.
    I am not sure, but perhaps the fact the Optimum Online now blocks Port 25 is the reason.

From their website: "To help control the amount of spam and viruses that originate from the Optimum Online network, we are implementing outbound Port 25 (SMPT) filtering. Filtering Port 25 is a common spam control measure used by Internet Service Providers and the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages when it comes to the war on spam."

This has affected my ability to send emails from home using my business email account. I have to use my Optonline account for outgoing mail.
    I use optonline and verizon. There is a block on optonline preventing sending through anything other than an optonline connection. I use another smtp and an optonline reply address as indicated above. If someone sends me an email at optonline and I reply it works fine, showing the optonline addres.
  6.    #6  
    Official response from Optonline:

Dear Ken:

Thank you for contacting Optimum Online regarding your question about email. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and will be happy to assist.

You will have to use the outgoing mail server for Verizon if you are on their network. Optimum Online will only allow you to connect to the outgoing mail server while on our network. Any network that you are on, AT&T, Verizon, SBC, you have to use their outgoing mail server. You can also use Optimum Online's Mobile Mail. You will be able to access Mobile Mail by entering the URL (http://mm.optonline.net) on your cell phone or mobile device. Once you log in you will be able to view all messages in his/her Inbox, scroll through your list of messages, and read, reply, forward, delete and create messages.
    The problem is that you are on a different network other than optonline.net and for some reason they dont allow you to use thier network for outgoing on VZW network.

try this:
    "Why can't I send email through my existing ISP mail account?

Some ISPs (Internet Service Providers) do not allow their customers to send email from other networks such as Verizon Wireless' NationalAccess and BroadbandAccess services. To accommodate Verizon Wireless customers who have email accounts that do not allow relaying, Verizon Wireless has implemented an outbound SMTP mail server for you to be able to send your email.

To utilize SMTP you will need to do the following:

1. Change your Outgoing Mail Server to smtp.vzwmail.net. The steps to change the Outgoing Mail Settings will vary by email client. Please refer to your email client provider for instructions on how to change the setting.

2. Create a VText.com profile if you do not already have a Verizon Wireless VText.com profile. Visit www.vtext.com from your PC to register for free. A TXT Messaging capable data device or phone is required.
    * The credentials to access the send mail server will be the 10-digit mobile number (used on VText.com) @vzwmail.net (i.e. 2025551212@vzwmail.net) for the user name. For the password use the password established on www.vtext.com.

* NOTE: Credentials established on www.vtext.com may take up to 48 hours before they will work on the Verizon Wireless SMTP server. If your password works on www.vtext.com but not on the smtp.vzwmail.net server, try again in a couple hours.

The Verizon Wireless SMTP server can be accessed from most ISPs (Internet Service Providers) eliminating the need to reconfigure settings when switching between Verizon Wireless and other networks."

source http://support.vzw.com/faqs/VZAccess..._link=1#item14