1.    #1  
    Ok, why can't there be a good solution for this? I'm not even looking for the most perfect powerful solution in the world, just a good one. Here's the deal...

I currently have a 600 with Verizon. I have been using WirelessSync to get my email, calendar, etc. I don't love ActiveSync as often when I'm on the road, the PC that I leave on to sync my email sometimes gets a WS error an needs me to manually restart it which I can do using VNC but not if I'm walking down the street and want my email.

Furthermore, I've just found it to be clunky. It never deletes old messages so I have emails on my 600 from three months ago thus my memory is filling up. I've checked 400 times and I have the option selected to delete messages older than 7 days. This worked when I first installed but doesn't anymore.

The other thing about WirelessSync that I hate is the lack of outgoing attachment support. This is just plain stupid if you ask me.

Okay, so I've been waiting patiently for the 650 so that I can use VersaMail which has ActiveSync and I can dump WirelessSync. Great, I see it supports attachments. But it doesn't support subfolders!! WHY?? Would this have been really that difficult. I often refer to items in my Inbox subfolders. This probably means I will stick with WirelessSync.

I will open another thread about some of the issues I'm having but I just wanted to vent...
    One word...........

Chatter...

Problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Howitzer
    One word...........

Chatter...

Problem solved.
    Chatter will take care of the email issues (provided you are using an IMAP email. Syncing the calendar entries is another matter but I thought I heard Marc was working on this too
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Howitzer
    One word...........

Chatter...

Problem solved.
    Nope, I tried the Chatter route, IT told me it's not set up for IMAP. We have Exchange 2003, would IMAP be setup by default and IT didn't know what they were talking about or were they telling me the truth? I'm not an expert in these email protocols so I just don't know.
    Adam,

I am a Microsoft Admin, and I have set up IMAP on Exchange 2000 sever with a Verizon Treo 650 today.

By default in Chattermail, once setup with an IMAP account to the Ex2000 server, I can see all of the Inbox level items (for X number of days) and can move an Inbox message to any Inbox subfolder (but not see the contents of that subfolder).

If I want to sync with (as in, see the contents of) an Inbox subfolder, I simply add that Inbox subfolder as what Chatter Email calls a "mailbox" and I'm done.

I beleive that this will solve your problem.

On the support side, to enable IMAP support on the Treo with Chatter Email, two things have to happen:

1. IMAP is enabled on the 2000/2003 Exchange server. (a 2 minute process)
    2. IMAP is enabled inbound on the corporate firewall, using either the standard or SSL TCP port (see # 1). (a 5 minutes or less process)

Chattermail as of yet does not support synching of calendar or schedule information. I have no idea how Wireless Sync and Chattermail will interact. But from the little that I know (I am a new Palm user), if you set up sync with Outlook on the Palm Desktop software and then use Chattermail, I think it may be a better solution than what you are using now. The only drawback would be that you would not be able to receive calendar and schedule information while outside of the office - this would only be available by synching.

From my cursory look into ActiveSync for Exchange 2003, it does not appear to be worth much, as it does not and can not synch subfolders, which Chatter Email can do. Note: in my office, synching subfolders is more important than calendar info.

Hope this helps.

Damon
    Last edited by pureinstinct93; 05/29/2005 at 03:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93
    The only drawback would be that you would not be able to receive calendar and schedule information while outside of the office - this would only be available by synching.
    But doesn't Palm Hotsync have a network sync capability? I seem to recall seeing this somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93
    From my cursory look into ActiveSync for Exchange 2003, it does not appear to be work much, as it does not and can not synch subfolders, which Chatter Email can do. Note: in my office, synching subfolders is more important than calendar info.
    I totally agree about ActiveSync. Palm development -- well, any non-MS development -- is very demonstrably not high on Microsoft's priority list. Sometimes I wonder why they bothered doing anything on Palm, versus doing a half-assed job.