1.    #1  
    Okay I'm curious about something. I've heard that if you are on the mobile internet with a CDMA Treo 650 you can't get incoming calls.

Well I used to use Verichat all the time on my GSM Treo, does this mean if I load Verichat on my Verizon 650, I will miss incoming phone calls while it's signed on? That's almost a deal breaker for me.

Anyone who has experience with this, please let me know.
    I dont know if you have noticed but only 3 people have looked at this thread. Have you searched on this issue prior to posting?

CDMA uses the data connection differently than GSM. Basically, if you are actively using the internet (downloading a page with solid green arrows in the top right of the screen, any incoming calls will go right to voicemail). If you are just reading a webpage, and the arrows are not green, the call usually comes right through.

I don't use verichat but I *think* that it uses sms to send messages. If it does, then you can be signed in and still get calls through.
    This is correct - with Verichat you can use EITHER the data connection directly or have your messages come via SMS. Some folks pay per SMS so they choose the data option. Both ways will work for you.
    Even if you use the data connection mode of verichat, you are not in active (green arrow) mode all the time.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    CDMA uses the data connection differently than GSM. Basically, if you are actively using the internet (downloading a page with solid green arrows in the top right of the screen, any incoming calls will go right to voicemail). If you are just reading a webpage, and the arrows are not green, the call usually comes right through.
    So how does GSM differ in that scenario? If a call comes in when you are actively downloading a page, what happens with GSM?
  6.    #6  
    With GSM you just get the call, no matter what you are doing. No idea who's ignorant idea it was to make CDMA phones act otherwise.
    So the following response to a similar query in another thread on this board is incorrect?

"I think the difference is that GSM data is "burstier", which often allows an incoming call to slip between the cracks and ring-through. Some calls will still go to VM, though often-times they will come through."
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorn
    With GSM you just get the call, no matter what you are doing. No idea who's ignorant idea it was to make CDMA phones act otherwise.
    I cant say your wrong (because I don't have GSM) but have you been able to stream shoutcast music through ptunes on your phone and then get a call to come through?

I have heard that you cant. If that is the case, then the same holds true for GSM and CDMA (although GSM is burstier and allows more calls to come through than a CDMA phone).

If its not the case, then GSM reigns supreme
    This has been discussed. GSM Treos DO NOT receive phone calls while actively downloading from the data network.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I cant say your wrong (because I don't have GSM) but have you been able to stream shoutcast music through ptunes on your phone and then get a call to come through?

I have heard that you cant. If that is the case, then the same holds true for GSM and CDMA (although GSM is burstier and allows more calls to come through than a CDMA phone).

If its not the case, then GSM reigns supreme
    I verify this, I am streaming radio on Ptunes and all calls are going direct to my voice mail. I called myself to verify that. But I feel if I am using other programs that dont use internet continously GSM version Treo650 get more calls comparing to doing same thing on Sprint version. It is odd I accept but that it is. But again GSM and CDMA both will send calls to voice mail if you are actively connected to internet.
    Treo650/sprint PCS/Locked/unlimited vision & SMS (now international too)& 1000 mins for $65.
    Treo650/tmobile/Unlocked/on trial.
    Logitech Mobile Pro.
    JabraBT800.
    Treo Wireless Headset.
    SE HBH660.
    Motorolla 810.
    Supertooth Bluetooth car kit.