Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I understand that CDMA currently can't support phone calls coming in while the data connection is in use. I also know that, from time to time, technology upgrades allow new functionality, etc. So... Does anyone know if it's possible that CDMA providers could support concurrent voice/data with new technology? It's not a critical problem, but I've missed a few calls because I was on the web or listening to shoutcast at the time.
    Surely they will make the leap eventually, but with current hardware, I doubt it.
    No, not with the current CDMA system. When Sprint completes their network upgrade to 3G technology, this should be possible. But the Treo won't support 3G, so you'll need to upgrade to a Treo 700 (or whatever).
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Okay, those statements are in line with what I expected, but I was hoping otherwise. Guess I'll just deal for the next year or so.
    Does the GSM/GPRS/EDGE T650 simultaneously carry voice and data?
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Yes, that system will do both at the same time but there is a lag time for the data compared to the dedicated data stream on CDMA. This could help explain that the fastest EDGE connections are slower than the slowest EVDO connections.
    The 3G CDMA technology that supports simultaneous voice and data is called EV-DV, and it won't be out for awhile. It's the next progression after EV-DO.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    2 points here: First, the GSM Treo 650 (or 600) CANNOT do simultaneous voice and data. Ask anyone who's tried streaming shoutcast audio if they can receive a call during the streaming. answer - nope. Supposedly UMTS will be able to, however.

Second, I'm not entirely convinced that EV-DO can't do simultaneous voice/data. Do we have any solid evidence on this from the Verizon folks? The way I understand it, voice is carried over 1x, while data is alone on the EV-DO side.
    While GSM does not support simultaneous transmission of voice and data, it does have an advantage over CDMA in that if you get an incoming call while you are sending/receiving data, you will be notified and given the option of suspending data transfer and taking the call. With CDMA, any call that comes in while you are actively sending or receiving data automatically goes to voicemail.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. Smith
    While GSM does not support simultaneous transmission of voice and data, it does have an advantage over CDMA in that if you get an incoming call while you are sending/receiving data, you will be notified and given the option of suspending data transfer and taking the call. With CDMA, any call that comes in while you are actively sending or receiving data automatically goes to voicemail.
    Well, no it actually doesn't do that either. I think the difference is that GSM data is "burstier", which often allows an incoming call to slip between the cracks and ring-through. Some calls will still go to VM, though often-times they will come through. Regardless, this is an advantage over CDMA as any incoming call will absolutely go to VM 100% of the time during data transfer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    2 points here: First, the GSM Treo 650 (or 600) CANNOT do simultaneous voice and data. Ask anyone who's tried streaming shoutcast audio if they can receive a call during the streaming. answer - nope. Supposedly UMTS will be able to, however.

Second, I'm not entirely convinced that EV-DO can't do simultaneous voice/data. Do we have any solid evidence on this from the Verizon folks? The way I understand it, voice is carried over 1x, while data is alone on the EV-DO side.
    EV-DO is a 1x technology. I knew that, but I wasn't for sure about it being possible for an EV-DO compatible phone to simultaneously make a voice call and have an active data transfer, so I did a little research. From Phonescoop's glossary:

"...The second release of 1x, 1xEV-DO, will support data rates up to 2.4 Mbps. It can only be deployed separately from voice networks - in its own spectrum - although devices can be made to access both networks..."

I don't know how accurate this is, but it does seem that it could be possible to be transfering data and talk at the same time.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Yeah, exactly - I've read that too and it certainly seems like simultaneous voice/data would work. I guess time will tell!