Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Why would Verizon Wireless introduce a sophisticated smartphone like the Treo 650 and not have it compatible with its EVDO high-speed network? That just boggles my mind!!!!!
    1) because everyone was complaining that they didnt have the 650 available.
    2) to get you to upgrade in about a year.
    Maybe because Palm didn't built EV-DO capability into the radio? Or, more accurately, the radio chip set Palm bought doesn't have EV-DO.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    welcome to the ranks of the boggled

wait for the i730
    Probably a combination of it not being built-in, and a relatively small part of the country currently having EV-DO.

Lack of EV-DO is just one of the factors that's causing me to skip this "upgrade" and stick with my adequate 600 for a while.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I look at the lack of EV-DO as a mixed blessing. With the EV-DO I would have to get the unlimited plan with the 650 when I eventually get it because it's so fast but I can get the 10 MB plan and use it when I really need it and save $20 a month. I want a phone that will allow POP3 email, install any game I want and play MP3's and the Treo is the best phone for me considering I have tons of Palm OS software. No only if the WiFi card will work then I can surf at home and at work and not use my data plan...
    The reason is most likely that the EVDO coponents (chip(s)) were not yet available when they were designing the Treo 650 CDMA (in most likely around Q4 2003 or Q1 2004 time)
    Also, you never know, they may be planning to launch another Treo later on down the road that has EVDO to add to the "family of Treos."
    That's my speculation
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    All intelligent speculation.
    I don't see how EVDO will be that big an advance for the Treo. The current Treo data speeds are entirely adequate for email and IM. EVDO will improve the Web experience, but most people aren't going to spend much time websurfing on a 2-inch screen no matter how fast it is. And you can pretty much bet there will be a premium to pay for EVDO data service. The real benefit with EVDO is on laptops, and you can already get an EVDO card for that purpose.
    Last edited by John P. Smith; 05/19/2005 at 03:23 PM.
    Yeah call me visionless ( but hey i have Sprint so not completely Visionless, it just costs me $10 a month but I have no idea what I am going to use High Bandwidth on a Cel Phone for. Streaming video?....Why? Maybe twice a year or to show someone that it can actually be done.

If I was a baseball fanatic rather than just a fan, I could maybe see watching streaming MLB games once in a while. I dont know, it sounds like a market that is being created by force, but I suppose one can argue we never thought we'd be doing email on the phones, syncing with Outlook, looking up things etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by robangel
    Yeah call me visionless ( but hey i have Sprint so not completely Visionless, it just costs me $10 a month but I have no idea what I am going to use High Bandwidth on a Cel Phone for.
    - Streaming audio
    - Full up email (entire email and attachment, not "preview" emal)
    - Near instantaneous web browsing - none of that waiting around for an address to pop up on a mapquest map
    - Complete PIM online synchronization in a couple of seconds

I consume about 500K per day bandwidth using Verizon's Wireless Sync each and every day (except maybe weekends). I spend somewhat less time browsing. I no longer cringe when someone tells me they want to send me a 20 MB PowerPoint briefing or a 10 MB word document - at 500Kbps it just doesn't matter.

XV6600 on Verizon
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Kupe is right. Treo data speeds are anything but "adequate." The non EVDO is obsolete - especially with the lifedrive out.

I'm tired of having my attachments stripped out.

I want (and need) to be able to view real web pages - in less than 10 minutes.

A 10 MB word document. Oh my god!!! I just finished a 40 page sale contract and it was only 300k.
    Just a guess, but I'd venture to say that the next Treo (whatever they number it) will have a life-drive type system for storage, and EVDO for the CDMA carriers.
    non-EVDO devices are hardly obsolete, since EV-DO service is not going to be available outside of major metro areas for several years.

Personally, I wouldn't want to edit a 10mb document on a 2 inch screen and thumbboard even if it did load instantaneously. That's not what a handheld device is for. Obviously, different people have different needs.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I wouldn't want to edit any document on a treo. But I want to be able to look at it.

I haven't heard Verizon say that EVDO will not be available outside major metro areas for several years. Everything I've seen so far said that the 2 year rollout is for the whole network.

Sorry about the obsolete remark. I just love saying that word. ;-) It gets such a reaction (_|_)
    Most of the problems I have with the current connection isn't the bandwidth but the latency.
    The latency on at least Sprint blows chunks. That's why web pages take so long to come up, not because of bandwidth.
    I hope EVDO fixes that.
    OK, I'll concede there are some potentially intriguing uses for the greater bandwith. I guess it boils down to the value proposition. I don't think Verizon will get too many takers for EVDO on handheld devices if they charge $80/month for it. That's why Sprint's EVDO rollout, though trailing Verizon's, is intriguing.....their data pricing is so much better.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Verizon does not charge $80 a month. The EVDO data plan is $45 per month on a phone. $80 is for the PC card.
    Sorry for the misinformation. So VZW isn't charging any more for EVDO than they do for 1XRTT. That could be a plus for Verizon, if there were a Treo that could take advantage of it. Of course, by the time an EVDO Treo comes out, Sprint will probably be close to catching up on EVDO deployment. It will be interesting to see how the carriers price handheld EVDO when that happens.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. Smith
    So VZW isn't charging any more for EVDO than they do for 1XRTT. That could be a plus for Verizon, if there were a Treo that could take advantage of it.

Correct.

I would bet that VZW is as peeved as I am that Palmone hasn't been able to fit an EVDO radio into the 650 in timely fashion. The EVDO network is a major one-up on the competition and they should be looking for every opportunity to milk it before the competition catches up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast