Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I'm currently using a Treo 600 with verizon, and memory is already tight. Can someone with a new verizon 650 confirm:

1) old memory issues seen with sprint phones are not an issue (I know this was resolved with a sprint rom upgrade)

2) i understand that verizon puts their sync software in rom. That's unfortunate, as I don't need that and it takes up space. How much free ram is there in a verizon 650?

I already use zLauncher and various methods to reduce memory needs as much as possible. But i use certain medical and other software, some of which *must* be in ram....
    the verizon 650 is shipping with OS ver. 5.4.7 which includes the memory fix in the the sprint software update that update the sprint 650 to Garnet 5.4.7
    Can you let me know the specific programs available for memory mgmt for the Treo in addition to zLauncher?
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc

2) i understand that verizon puts their sync software in rom. That's unfortunate, as I don't need that and it takes up space. How much free ram is there in a verizon 650?
    RAM and ROM are completely separate. Removing (or not adding) programs from one doesn't increase the memory available in the other, and adding programs to ROM doesn't decrease the memory in RAM.

Aside from that, the Hotsync software is in ROM on all flavors of the Treo, not just Verizon. Do you not plan on installing any 3rd party software? Hotsyncing is usually the easist way to do it, and with some apps maybe the only way.

HEY, HEY, HEY!!! My 1500th post! Do I get a free blender?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Aside from that, the Hotsync software is in ROM on all flavors of the Treo, not just Verizon. Do you not plan on installing any 3rd party software? Hotsyncing is usually the easist way to do it, and with some apps maybe the only way.
    I would guess he's talking about the Verizon Over-The-Air sync, which is developed for use on their network, a la Sprint's "Business Connection" software, not normal HotSync.

everything was beautiful and nobody hurt.
    Ahh, I didn't get that. Well, it still doesn't take up any normal RAM memory.
    Bob Meyer
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Yes- I was talking about verizon's sync softwre (over the air). If that's correct that it doesn't take away from ram, that's great. I DO remember that when the 650 came out, there was a lot of discussion about the fact that ram (yes, RAM) had LESS memory (i think it was by about 1 meg) that the 600. I'm talking actual usable ram. Does anyone know if the ram available to the user on a verizon 650 is definitely the same as a sprint (or other) 650?
    Yes, the 650 has (slightly) less free RAM than the 600. As far as I can determine (and I haven't actually check out the Verizon version), all flavors of the 650 have the same amount of free RAM available.
    Bob Meyer