Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi everybody, I just got the Treo 650 from Verizon today. I've spent all day trying to configure Wireless Sync but am unable to get it to work!!

Current I have an Exchange account hosted by 1and1 (www.1and1.com). It works great and i've been using it for a while now. But for some reason the PC Monitor software is unable to connect/find the exchange server. I get an error "Unable to find Exchange server for email address ME."

1and1 hosting gives you a login and password for the Exchange server. You setup an Exchange account in Outlook and everything works. I called Verizon and spoke with a couple of their reps. They keep telling me that I have to be directly connect to the Exchange server. What does that mean? Does that mean I need a VPN connection in order for PC Monitor to work?

Has anyone here gotten the Treo 600 or 650 to work with Verizon's Wireless Sync with a Hosted Exchange account (You don't own the server, you account is just hosted)? I'd really appriciate any help!
    I don't think WS can work with a hosted Exchange account. I'm no expert, but I think that's the case.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I have 3 T650's (2 VZW, 1 GSM) and have them setup to my hosted exchange (mailstreet.com) you should use VersaMail (install it from the Treo CD included in box) and setup a new account with it (directly on the Treo itself, not thru the desktop PC) and configure it to use activeSync. that should be all you need to do.

I have 2 of mine working just fine with it, and the 3rd running GoodLink.

If that does not work (assuming I am correct in this its what you want to do), call 1and1 and make sure ActiveSync is enabled on your Exchange account.

-- Jbiz
    he's wanting to get Verizon's product called Wireless Sync going, not VersaMail/Active Sync. I use WS and really like it. Another guy in our office has a spare PC that runs the Monitor s/w, and I get all my email and PIM data pushed to my device, instantly. It rocks.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    so PC Moniter is like the blackberry redirector then?? is that right?

and whats the advantage of the WS versus VersaMail/activeSync (as maybe is should be setting my VZW treos up differently)..
  6.    #6  
    Yes I think wireless sync is like a redirector. The reason that I use a hosted Exchange is because:

1. It's cheap and integrates everything
    2. Has Outlook Web Access (you can get all of your PIMs, all pop emails, contacts, everything Outlook has to offer) via a web browser.

This is what Verizon's Wireless Sync is offering. Which means, if I put an appointment on my 650 and a new contact on my 650 it will sync with my Exchange server which syncs with my Outlook 2003 on my desktop computer and laptop (and vice versa). So instead of keeping 3 different databases (Computer, Laptop, PDA). I can update all 3 at once.

Ok so i've gotten pass the error stage and have received a new error, YAY! Has anyone received this error???

PC Monitor - 05/14/2005 05:28:25 PM - Synchronization started
    Connection Info
    Connection type: Network
    Device name: paul
    Sync via: Sync (user initiated)
    Bytes in/out: 426/442 (* actual over the air count may be higher)
    Duration: 00:09
    Wireless Sync
    Error MAPI_E_NETWORK_ERROR (80040115) V:\portal\Client\PortalOutlookTranslator\MAPIFields.cpp 9071 5/14/2005 5:28:41 PM
    Error MAPI_E_NETWORK_ERROR (80040115) V:\portal\Client\PortalOutlookTranslator\OutlookOptions.cpp 422 5/14/2005 5:28:41 PM
    Error occurred while opening the default MS Outlook folders. Go to the Sync Settings dialog and press Settings next to Outlook.
    Error occurred while preparing for first synchronization
    Hive393
  7.    #7  
    Ohh, I forgot to ask, can ActiveSync sync with Contacts and Calendar? And the biggest thing, DOES IS PUSH YOUR EMAILS (sync without having to press sync).
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I use hosted exchange too, and as far as sync'ing Exhange mail and Exchange Calendar, VersaMail/ActiveSync does that without any issues just as you describe. The only thing it lacks (which is annoying) is the sync'ing the contacts.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    oh, and you can set VersaMail to check every X minutes (so no need to click Sync)
  10.    #11  
    Thanks a lot for clarifying jbiz, I really appriciate it. Worse comes to worse i'll have to settle with ActiveSync. The problem with a mail client that doesn't use push technology is that it's inefficient. Meaning it will waste battery connecting to the server even if there isn't new mail. From what I know, Verizon's Wireless Sync will push a new email/calendar event/contact to your phone when there is a change (which won't kill your battery). I think the Verizon server checks every 15 minutes, and if you have new email it will "push" it to your phone. I think this is how RIM Blackberry works too.

Are there any other solutions? How does GoodLink work? And how much does it cost?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    in my opinion, goodlink is great (so far on day 3).. but its not cheap.. its about $330/year for the software.. I am trying WS right now with my hosted exchange.. i'll let you know in a few if I can get it working..
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    seems I need outlook running on the PC Monitor box.. I need to get that installed before I can run the monitor.. Will do that tomorrow and let you know how it goes..
  13.    #14  
    Still haven't gotten it to work. I get as far as:

Initializing account.
    Checking for updates to your PC Monitor Software
    Preparing account for initialization.
    Beginning Account Initialixation, This may take a few minutes.
    An error Occurred during Account Initilization. Click View Connection Summary for more detials.

The error is:
    Error MAPI_E_NETWORK_ERROR (80040115) V:\portal\Client\PortalOutlookTranslator\MAPIFields.cpp 9071 5/14/2005 6:45:45 PM
    Error MAPI_E_NETWORK_ERROR (80040115) V:\portal\Client\PortalOutlookTranslator\OutlookOptions.cpp 422 5/14/2005 6:45:45 PM
    Error occurred while opening the default MS Outlook folders. Go to the Sync Settings dialog and press Settings next to Outlook.
    Error occurred while preparing for first synchronization
    Hive393
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    if i had to guess, (which I am going to try tomorrow and confirm), you are logging in using the outlook RPC over HTTP protocol within outlook 2003, and therefore it prompts for a Username and PW when you launch Outlook.. which WS cant do (type in the PW).. so the Monitor PC would need to be VPN'd into it 1and1 (assuming your PC cant get into 1and1 without VPN) and Outlook would need to be setup without the HTTP setup (which is new for outlook 2003)..

this is just a thought.. I will try to confirm tomorrow.
  15.    #16  
    But reading from the error I don't know if it's an exchange problem. I really hope you're able to get it working!! I've tried everything I can think of and still no luck. I'd really love to be able to use WS. Regardless i'm going to have to figure out a way to get it working.
  16.    #17  
    Is there a way for me to connect to 1and1 Exchange server without having to input login each time?
  17.    #18  
    It seems like you can't get around RPC over HTTP unless you VPN in or you use the PC Monitor software on a PC that's on the LAN where the Exchange Server resides. This is so stupid. the WS software should be able to connect to your Exchange server through RPC over HTTP. So now the question is, how do we get around it. Is there a way to dial into RPC over HTTP through windows or another client software?
  18.    #19  
    Hey jbiz, I noticed that you use mailstreet!!! This is awsome! If your tests don't work out tomorrow, would you mine testing something for me? MailStreet offers free VPN access but 1and1 doesn't. If your tests don't work out, could you please try to VPN into MailStreet and see if the PC Monitor works after you have VPN in?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    xaveon, ok.. good news.. with VPN turned on, it works just fine..

Connection Info
    Connection type: Network
    Device name: sunset
    Sync via: Sync (user initiated)
    Bytes in/out: 4367/16694 (* actual over the air count may be higher)
    Duration: 00:43
    Wireless Sync
    Microsoft Outlook: Outbox (0 inserts, 0 updates, and 0 deletes sent to server, 0 inserts, 0 updates, and 0 deletes received from server)
    Microsoft Outlook: Inbox (0 inserts, 0 updates, and 0 deletes sent to server, 0 inserts, 0 updates, and 0 deletes received from server)
    Microsoft Outlook: Sent Items (4 inserts, 0 updates, and 0 deletes sent to server, 0 inserts, 4 updates, and 0 deletes received from server)
    Microsoft Outlook: Drafts (0 inserts, 0 updates, and 0 deletes sent to server, 0 inserts, 0 updates, and 0 deletes received from server)
    Microsoft Outlook: Calendar (34 inserts, 0 updates, and 0 deletes sent to server, 0 inserts, 0 updates, and 0 deletes received from server)
    Microsoft Outlook: Tasks (1 inserts, 0 updates, and 0 deletes sent to server, 0 inserts, 0 updates, and 0 deletes received from server)
    Microsoft Outlook: Contacts (32 inserts, 0 updates, and 0 deletes sent to server, 0 inserts, 0 updates, and 0 deletes received from server)
    Microsoft Outlook: Notes (0 inserts, 0 updates, and 0 deletes sent to server, 0 inserts, 0 updates, and 0 deletes received from server)
    Software Updates
    Software - Up to date.
    Backups - Up to date.
    File & Website Updates
    Files - Up to date.
    Websites - Up to date.

--------------------

couple of things though.. you dont need RPC over HTTP turned on if you use VPN (as this is used to prevent the need for VPN).. also, on one of my servers which is in a datacenter (and does not have ports blocked by ComCast) i dont even need VPN.. it just depends on what your ISP blocks.

Also, if you are using RPC over HTTP, when you first launch the WS, it will prompt for your domain/UserID and PW for exchange (I was wrong about RPC over HTTP being the issue, its the blocking of the ports it seems to connect just fine using RPC over HTTP as long as I was VPN'd in)...
    Last edited by jbiz; 05/15/2005 at 10:27 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast