Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Hey jbiz, the the server that is ini the datacenter, is the exchange server on the same LAN? I"m waiting to see if 1and1 will give me VPN access.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    no, not at all.. not even in the same country as a matter of fact.. I just didnt want to deal with supporting exchange on my own servers (service packs and other headaches), so I just use a hosted service for my few corp employees.
  3.    #23  
    Hey jbiz, how do you feel about MailStreet? It seems that they are pretty expensive. I have been using 1and1 for a while now and it seem very reliable. I just hope they allow VPN access. 1and1 gives 1gb for Exchange where as MailStreet only give 100MB. Please let me know your impressions. If 1and1 will allow me access, that would be perfect.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I like them a lot, VERY reliable and quick to respond to support issues.. even the tech people are on LiveChat so I can get to real people via phone or via Chat if I am too busy to have a call.. also, if you ask, they will give you 200MB for the same price (they did for me).. do you have only 1 mailbox?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Also, I believe the reason 1and1 says you must use windowsXP and outlook 2003 is that older versions of outlook dont support RPC over HTTP, and without it you must use VPN to connect to the hosted exchange (as most ISP providers block the ports)
  6.    #26  
    Yes, I only have one mailbox but i'm probably not even going to use the mail because I have Outlook configured to retrieve mail from all of my 9 pop accounts and then sync it with Exchange. But I feel like 200MB is so limited for mailbox space. And for 1GB it costs $49/month with MailStreet. All I need is VPN access from 1and1 and everything will be good. So are you using WS now? Or are you still using GoodLink? How do you like WS?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I am using GoodLink on my 650, and I am going to setup WS on my wifes 650.. though with WS if the message show up instantly, not sure the benefit of GoodLink..
  8.    #28  
    Well that's exactly what I was thinking. If you have WS working and it comes free with the dataplan why use GoodLink. I'm still waiting for 1and1 to get back to me regarding VPN access. Hopefully they'll come through. If now i'll have to swich to another provide. I don't know if MailStreet is the best choice though, it seems really expensive.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    its not cheap, but i went with them planning on using a hosted GoodLink provider.. not too many choices there...
  10.    #30  
    I have another question for you about WS. Does your wife have multiple pop accounts? Meaning she has 1 account from Exchange and connects to Exchange from Outlook. But in Outlook she has multiple pop accounts. For me these pop accounts all sync with Exchange also. So when I go into web access I can read and reply to all these pop accounts even if it's not the exchange email. My question is, does WS sync with everything in Exchange, including those pop accounts or will it only sync with the Exchange email. I haven't had a chance to test this yet (due to lack of VPN access) but it would be great if you could let me know. Thanks a lot.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    you can go into the web site for Wireless access (I believe) and setup all your pop/imaps and it will control it all.. https://www.wirelesssync.vzw.com/

I personally use http://www.sspi-software.com/press_rel_48.html to check multiple accounts and forward to my exchange account.. so its all centralized, there are other services that check more often (and for cost) but this is a small app that works rather well for me... and in my case, I have a hotmail acct too, and WS cant check those.

-- jBiz
  12.    #32  
    Yeah but if Outlook can check your Hotmail account you can just keep Outlook open and connected to Exchange to check your Hotmail accounts, and since it's on Exchange you can check it from your phone too.

The problem with using VWZ to check pop accounts it that they only allow 3 pop accounts and it's not centralized.

I have another question for you. Since you have WS working now, say you send an email out to yourself. You can read it as new mail in Outlook 2003, Outlook Web Access, and your Treo 650. The question is, if you read it on your Treo 650 (the email is not read). Does it sync with Outlook 2003 and show that the email has already by read?

I know that Outlook 2003 can check mupltiple pop emails and sync those pop emails to exchange too (so that when I click reply it replies from that email address). What i'm wondering is, after those pop accounts with Exchange if WS will sync the whole thing with my phone.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    answers inside the quote below..

additionally, at first glance of WS (as I compare it to GoodLink), GoodLink is well worth the money (unless there is a comprable alternative).. for WS to work, it actually runs the Sync program on the Treo650 when the command comes in.. GoodLink makes the treo work in Push mode like a blackberry, no obvious signs that anything is "sync'ing" although WS will be OK for my wife, its not sufficient for me..

Also, the VersaMail client and snapperMail too, are more robust then "mail" on T650.. I wonder if you could have WS just sync Exchange Contacts (and not Exchange email or Exchange calender).. and on that note, I wonder If i can do something to make WS let me sync another process when an email comes in.. so instead of actually using Mail, i can have it run the VersaMail Sync process. I need to look into WS some more as today was my first time using it..

Quote Originally Posted by xaveon
    Yeah but if Outlook can check your Hotmail account you can just keep Outlook open and connected to Exchange to check your Hotmail accounts, and since it's on Exchange you can check it from your phone too.
    -- true, but that mail-forward link i posted above, works like a charm and no need to keep outlook open..

The problem with using VWZ to check pop accounts it that they only allow 3 pop accounts and it's not centralized.
    -- same as above, i can have unlimted accts on the mail-forward.

I have another question for you. Since you have WS working now, say you send an email out to yourself. You can read it as new mail in Outlook 2003, Outlook Web Access, and your Treo 650. The question is, if you read it on your Treo 650 (the email is not read). Does it sync with Outlook 2003 and show that the email has already by read?
    -- just tried it, nope it does not mark it as read (even if I force a sync on the device)

I know that Outlook 2003 can check mupltiple pop emails and sync those pop emails to exchange too (so that when I click reply it replies from that email address). What i'm wondering is, after those pop accounts with Exchange if WS will sync the whole thing with my phone.
    -- not sure on this one..
  14.    #34  
    From what I am seeing it seems that PPC is a more robust platform (if it didn't crash so much). It sync with everything much better. I hope HTC comes out with a Windows Powered Treo. The Samsung i730 might be interesting.

Can you elaborate more on the differences between WS and GoodLink? You said that GoodLink uses more true Push technology?

Do you find that 200MB is enough for your mailbox? Is there a way that you get around this problem?
  15.    #35  
    Also, do you recommend any must have software?

And how are the other mail clients more robust?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    for goodlink, when an email show up in my box, it's automatically on my treo (it actually gets to my treo first sometimes).. it instantaneous like a blackberry.. its interfaces are really nice, and basically mimics Outlook on your Treo (interfaces and all), its like running a mobile version of Outlook 2003 on my Treo...

as for the 200MB, well, in my case I need more then 1 email (3 to be exact), but most users only need 50MB at most... you can make them to setup Aggregated space email for you, so you can buy 3 email address (which would be 600MB for example) which is only another 9.95 each, and then assign 500MB to your main acct, and 50MB to each other acct... obviously offline archiving is a solution too.. which I do anyway (and also and put on a copy on CD-rom so i have multiple backups)...
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xaveon
    Also, do you recommend any must have software?

And how are the other mail clients more robust?
    I am actually new to the Treo (and VZW).. seems snappermail and chattermail are popular, but I have not had a chance to play with them yet...
  18.    #38  
    How much are you paying for GoodLink?

Since you have WS now, do you know if WS will work with any other mail client. The annoying thing is that I don't think the WS mail client (preinstalled on the phone) supports file attachments. I'm wondering if VersaMail or Snapper will work with WS.

Which one do you like more VersaMail or SnapperMail?
  19.    #39  
    Do you know which of the software on the CD that came with the phone are full versions and which are trials?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    versamail is not a trial.. other then that, I am not sure..
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast