1.    #1  
    I live and work in Pasadena, CA and have been with Verizon a long time -- first with a Kyocera 6035 and for the last two years with a Kyocera 7135. Reception has always been superb.

I've been a long-time lurker here, lusting after the Treo 650, and have waited patiently until my Verizon contract expired (9 days ago). I was contemplating jumping ship and going with a Sprint Treo 650, but just about when I was ready to do so, Verizon finally announced they were going to come out with it.

To add to my dilemna, Earthlink (who I have my home and business DSL and primary email account with) announced at the same time that they are coming out with the Treo 650 also at the end of this month!

Sprint sounded good with the $15 unlimited data plan, but I can live with Verizon's $45 data plan, so that's NOT a deal breaker for me. I also have the NE2 with Verizon, but, again, the money is not the most important consideration for me. I'd like the best phone with the best service, period. Also, I do not have a business account.

Should I wait until May 23rd and go with Verizon? Or, should I wait until the end of the month and go with Earthlink? Or, should I stick with my original plan and go with Sprint?

Any help is appreciated.
    I don't think you can really decide until Earthlink has annouced the pricing and plans. But I am personally intrigued, Earthlink sounds like the best of both worlds (Verizon & Sprint) so I don't know how you can go wrong coverage and data technology wise. If you like the way Earthlink handles your other services then I think that says a lot for how they'll be as a wireless carrier.
    Also, it sounds like you can switch between Verizon or Sprint as the primary by simply switching plans on Earthlink.
    Lastly, what's the commitment and early termination going to be like? Are you willing to risk being locked in to this experiment for 1 year or 2 years? They can't be any worse then Verizon or Sprint, can they?

Again, depends on pricing/plans, etc. Will you get the same features on your plans for a similar or competetive price? How will it measure up? I know price isn't the issue for you, but it wouldn't make much sense to go with Earthlink if they were simply more expensive.

I guess the final issue is are you a frequent handset upgrader? Sprint has historically gotten new Treos way ahead of Verizon. If you think you'll want the latest handset as soon as it comes out, Sprint has a record of delivering first. And it's not like GSM where you can just get an unlocked and use it on any GSM carrier.

My vote is to go for it, give Earthlink a shot. With what little I know about them at this point that's what I'd do if I were switching over to CDMA.
    Last edited by taylorh; 05/13/2005 at 10:13 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  3.    #3  
    You're right. I probably need to just be patient a little more until Earthlink comes out with their pricing and plans so I can make a more informed decision.

It's just really hard continuing to wait for so long, as so many others have expressed also. It feels like if I wait until both Earthlink's and Verizon's Treo 650s are released, and give it a little more time for feedback on both on this forum, that the next Treo will be announced, and then I'm right back where I started, waiting all over again. (sigh......)

You also raise a great point about being a frequent upgrader -- an issue I really had not pondered before. I had my Kyocera 6035 for about two years and then my Kyocera 7135 about the same, so, historically, I have not changed all that frequently. However, with the way the market is moving, it may make sense to go with Sprint with a 1-year contract, knowing that there WILL (probably) be a new Treo smartphone out at the end of this year of early in 2006.

Thanks again for the help taylorh. I'll be sure to post back if after the Earthlink and Verizon models have both come out and I make my final decision.

Jeeeesssshhhh.......another month of waiting! waiting.....waiting......
    Wow am I glad I found this thread. I have been going through the same question Sprint vs VZW and I never even thought of the Earthlink possibility. I am going to check it out!
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    If EarthLink doesn't offer mobile to mobile type free minutes then you'll have to get a higher minute service plan to compensate. Just something to think about. Seems they will offer free night and weekend minutes though.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Earthlink's pricing is known already, at least one package. With unlimited N&W (not sure about minutes but has to be at least 400) - $39.95 per month voice and most importantly, *$19.95* per month for unlimited internet access and e-mail. Alas, it's CDMA/1xRTT. No word of the family plans or free mob-to-mob minutes.

The phone is $599 before rebate, $449 if you pre-register at http://earthlink.emktg.info/email/wi...istration.page
    It says, "Limited time offer! Pre-register today for the Treo 650 featuring EarthLink TotalAccess and get $150 off. EarthLink Wireless offers a wide variety of calling plans plus optional unlimited monthly data plans. Service pricing will be disclosed prior to final sale."
    Obviously, no Verizon's NE2 and possibly no discount (think VZW's $100) for unlimited data plans.

I, too, consider Earthlink but look for more details later in the month.
    Last edited by zorz; 05/14/2005 at 04:03 PM. Reason: More pricing details
    Ed
    zorz.net
    Palm III > Palm V > palm Vx > Palm m500 > Sony Clie SJ33 > Palm Treo 650
    I saw somewhere else that Earthlink is really just reselling Sprint service. I just discovered today that Earthlink DSL may really be Covad. Earthlink may be just a big rebrander.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    You get more than just a different brand.
    You get different customer service, different sales people, different pricing (obviously,) different policies such as how often you get new equipment discounts, how long contracts are, what happens if someone steals your phone and racks up charges. etc.
    Treonauts they explains that Earthlink wireless will run on the Verizon and Sprint networks. Appearently the price plan you pick determines if Verizon or Sprint is your 'home' network while the other is your roaming network.

You'd be surprised how many entities re-brand someone else's product.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by SidePocket
    You also raise a great point about being a frequent upgrader -- an issue I really had not pondered before. I had my Kyocera 6035 for about two years and then my Kyocera 7135 about the same, so, historically, I have not changed all that frequently. However, with the way the market is moving, it may make sense to go with Sprint with a 1-year contract, knowing that there WILL (probably) be a new Treo smartphone out at the end of this year of early in 2006.
    I think more importantly on this particular topic is which carrier launches the newest phones first. When the Treo 700, 800 (or whatever it'll be) comes out, Sprint may in fact have it long before Earthlink or Verizon. You'll be waiting months again to get phone. Obviously you can't just switch if you're in a contract.
    This may a moot point, just one of the many things to take into consideration.

Jeeeesssshhhh.......another month of waiting! waiting.....waiting......
    I hear ya there. It's torture.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    I live and work in Pasadena, CA and have been with Verizon a long time -- first with a Kyocera 6035 and for the last two years with a Kyocera 7135. Reception has always been superb.

I've been a long-time lurker here, lusting after the Treo 650, and have waited patiently until my Verizon contract expired (9 days ago). I was contemplating jumping ship and going with a Sprint Treo 650, but just about when I was ready to do so, Verizon finally announced they were going to come out with it.

To add to my dilemna, Earthlink (who I have my home and business DSL and primary email account with) announced at the same time that they are coming out with the Treo 650 also at the end of this month!

Sprint sounded good with the $15 unlimited data plan, but I can live with Verizon's $45 data plan, so that's NOT a deal breaker for me. I also have the NE2 with Verizon, but, again, the money is not the most important consideration for me. I'd like the best phone with the best service, period. Also, I do not have a business account.

Should I wait until May 23rd and go with Verizon? Or, should I wait until the end of the month and go with Earthlink? Or, should I stick with my original plan and go with Sprint?

Any help is appreciated.
    just wanted to throw it out there ----- I use to be a Pasadena resident, and I found Sprint to be horrible there - funny, because Sprint is awesome all over LA and OC, with the exception of Pasadena - so, ymmv
    BLUETOOTH!!!!
    I said it before in Bob's thread asking about VZW vs. PCS. You people are looking at the wrong damn things to make this decision! You HAVE to look at mascots, and "Sprint Man" would take that little Earthlink "marketing tool", the Halo, and beat the snot out of "Testy, the Can You Hear Me Now" guy. Hands down. That's all that matters. You wanna be on a "sissy" network, or the "manly" one? Yeah, thought so.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  12.    #12  
    Thank you all for your great insights. I still don't know if I will go with Verizon, Earthlink or Sprint for the new Treo 650; however, I'm leaning towards Earthlink. Here's why...

I did a little more research over the weekend about how Sky Dayon is planning on linking South Korean mobile operator SK Telecom with Earthlink Networks (ISP) to launch the new 3G/Wi-Fi combo firm "SK-Earthlink" here in the U.S. Here are some URLs if you're interested in learning more:

http://www.sk-earthlink.com/video/ - Video & PowerPoint presentation from SK-Earthlink's website

http://fortt.com/blog/2005/01/can-th...ess-world.html - 1/27/05 article from Jon Fortt's Technofile entitled "Can they rock our wireless world? Korean-backed SK-Earthlink has bold ambitions for U.S. mobile market"

http://wifinetnews.com/archives/004742.html - 1/26/05 article from Wi-Fi Networking News entitled "SK-Earthlink Links South Korean Mobile Operator, Earthlink Networks"

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...2/ai_n12417640 - 3/1/05 article from Wireless Review entitled "Sky Dayton's Newest Big Thing"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer - 2/3/05 article from the Washington Post entitled "Running From Dial-Up Access"

I've always had a tremendous amount of respect for what Sky Dayton did with Earthlink, and have been a loyal Earthlink customer since the beginning (it has been my first and only dial-up and DSL connection) and I have enjoyed nearly perfect DSL/e-mail service and very good customer service. The fact that he founded both Earthlink and Boingo Wireless says a lot and his new enterprise -- SK-Earthlink -- looks very interesting.

It has always appeared to me that we here in the U.S. are 2 to 3 years behind Asia in terms of wireless services and handsets. It seems we actually never get these advanced handsets because the service providers here in the U.S. are so antiquated and fragmented in terms of their networks and related services.

It looks as though Sky Dayton is planning on bringing SK Telecom's model (their handsets, systems and services) to the U.S., "lock, stock and barrel." That sounds pretty exciting as SK Telecom is reportedly recognized as the most advanced wireless carrier in the world (52% market share in South Korea).

I have Wi-Fi networks at home and at work and was not even aware that Earthlink Networks (ISP) launched free online calling late last year, allowing me as one of their high-speed customers the ability to make VOIP calls free of charge. (Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do this using a Treo 650?)

It appears that Sky is now shooting for integrated Wi-Fi and 3G networks for voice and data through advanced handsets such as those used in South Korea today, including ones with hard drives, 5 megapixel cameras, satellite TV broadcasts, credit card transactions, etc. Sounds pretty cool to me.

Sky has indicated SK-Earthlink will focus on allowing its customers to make phone calls from home Wi-Fi networks, Wi-Fi hotspots and 3G networks. Too bad the Treo 650 has been so crippled with regards to Wi-Fi but I'm assuming sooner or later this will be solved, perhaps in the next iteration of this, our favorite smartphone.

I know some people think that not having your own infrastructure is a fatal flaw for an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) such as SK-Earthlink, but that didn't seem to stop Sky with either Earthlink Networks or Boingo, both of which have been very successful.

It appears that as SK-Earthlink's new CEO, Sky plans on differentiating within the burgeoning MVNO market here in the U.S. Albeit, I don't know how they will set themselves apart from Virgin Mobile USA (Sprint network) yet, but if his success with Earthlink and Boingo are any indication, I'm sure he can do it and be very successful.

Although I know the current Treo 650 is not compatible with Verizon's new EVDO network, it looks as if SK-Earthlink will leverage this faster network with SK Telecom's state-of-the-art handsets and services. Could be quite interesting! I wonder if he will bring some new next-generation smartphones from Asia to compete with the current smartphones available in the U.S.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone knows any more specifics about exactly which networks Earthlink will use for their Treo 650 offering and whether this is part of Earthlink Networks (ISP) or will the Earthlink Treo 650 be rolled into this new SK-Earthlink joint venture.

As it stands now, it looks like I still need to wait until the end of the month, or even into June to get more details on the Verizon and Earthlink Treo 650 and related pricing, plans, etc. However, this waiting is killing me!

Again, thanks for all your help. TC rocks!
    Thank you all for your great insights. I still don't know if I will go with Verizon, Earthlink or Sprint for the new Treo 650; however, I'm leaning towards Earthlink. Here's why...

I did a little more research over the weekend about how Sky Dayon is planning on linking South Korean mobile operator SK Telecom with Earthlink Networks (ISP) to launch the new 3G/Wi-Fi combo firm "SK-Earthlink" here in the U.S. Here are some URLs if you're interested in learning more:

http://www.sk-earthlink.com/video/ - Video & PowerPoint presentation from SK-Earthlink's website

http://fortt.com/blog/2005/01/can-th...ess-world.html - 1/27/05 article from Jon Fortt's Technofile entitled "Can they rock our wireless world? Korean-backed SK-Earthlink has bold ambitions for U.S. mobile market"

http://wifinetnews.com/archives/004742.html - 1/26/05 article from Wi-Fi Networking News entitled "SK-Earthlink Links South Korean Mobile Operator, Earthlink Networks"

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...2/ai_n12417640 - 3/1/05 article from Wireless Review entitled "Sky Dayton's Newest Big Thing"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer - 2/3/05 article from the Washington Post entitled "Running From Dial-Up Access"

I've always had a tremendous amount of respect for what Sky Dayton did with Earthlink, and have been a loyal Earthlink customer since the beginning (it has been my first and only dial-up and DSL connection) and I have enjoyed nearly perfect DSL/e-mail service and very good customer service. The fact that he founded both Earthlink and Boingo Wireless says a lot and his new enterprise -- SK-Earthlink -- looks very interesting.

It has always appeared to me that we here in the U.S. are 2 to 3 years behind Asia in terms of wireless services and handsets. It seems we actually never get these advanced handsets because the service providers here in the U.S. are so antiquated and fragmented in terms of their networks and related services.

It looks as though Sky Dayton is planning on bringing SK Telecom's model (their handsets, systems and services) to the U.S., "lock, stock and barrel." That sounds pretty exciting as SK Telecom is reportedly recognized as the most advanced wireless carrier in the world (52% market share in South Korea).

I have Wi-Fi networks at home and at work and was not even aware that Earthlink Networks (ISP) launched free online calling late last year, allowing me as one of their high-speed customers the ability to make VOIP calls free of charge. (Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do this using a Treo 650?)

It appears that Sky is now shooting for integrated Wi-Fi and 3G networks for voice and data through advanced handsets such as those used in South Korea today, including ones with hard drives, 5 megapixel cameras, satellite TV broadcasts, credit card transactions, etc. Sounds pretty cool to me.

Sky has indicated SK-Earthlink will focus on allowing its customers to make phone calls from home Wi-Fi networks, Wi-Fi hotspots and 3G networks. Too bad the Treo 650 has been so crippled with regards to Wi-Fi but I'm assuming sooner or later this will be solved, perhaps in the next iteration of this, our favorite smartphone.

I know some people think that not having your own infrastructure is a fatal flaw for an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) such as SK-Earthlink, but that didn't seem to stop Sky with either Earthlink Networks or Boingo, both of which have been very successful.

It appears that as SK-Earthlink's new CEO, Sky plans on differentiating within the burgeoning MVNO market here in the U.S. Albeit, I don't know how they will set themselves apart from Virgin Mobile USA (Sprint network) yet, but if his success with Earthlink and Boingo are any indication, I'm sure he can do it and be very successful.

Although I know the current Treo 650 is not compatible with Verizon's new EVDO network, it looks as if SK-Earthlink will leverage this faster network with SK Telecom's state-of-the-art handsets and services. Could be quite interesting! I wonder if he will bring some new next-generation smartphones from Asia to compete with the current smartphones available in the U.S.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone knows any more specifics about exactly which networks Earthlink will use for their Treo 650 offering and whether this is part of Earthlink Networks (ISP) or will the Earthlink Treo 650 be rolled into this new SK-Earthlink joint venture.

As it stands now, it looks like I still need to wait until the end of the month, or even into June to get more details on the Verizon and Earthlink Treo 650 and related pricing, plans, etc. However, this waiting is killing me!

Again, thanks for all your help. TC rocks!
    Attn: Fence-sitters!!!

look in the other VZW Treo Threads. There you will find the 15%-off coupon w/ code the EXPIRES TODAY. P1's website NOW HAS VZW's TREO 650 POSTED. I got it for $441.15 OUT THE DOOR w/ NO Contract Extension.

Sorry for the caps, but the coupon expires today. I wasn't ready to purchase my Treo 650 till 09/2005, but with the coupon, I jumped on it NOW!!!
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    I don't think the MBNO model is a fatal flaw at all. On the contorary I think it's potentially a benefit. While the actual carriers such as Verizon and Sprint split their money and resources on both (customer) service as well as the actual infrastructure, a MBNO concentrates soley on improving thier business and affering a more compelling solution and service to the customers. In other words you're more likely to pampered by them for lack of a better description.
    Of course it can go either way. There are MBNO's out there just trying to make a buck and offer dirt-cheap phones to teens, and these companies try to save every dime and you' re more likely to have a worse experience since they don't pay or train the staff as well.
    However a comany like Earthlink, which most of what they do is the MBNO model (eg the DSL service.) and do it well, I'd say for the reasons you mentioned it'll probabally be successful.

As you mentioned a lot of it has to do with the future intention and direction of the company.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
  15.    #15  
    For those Earthlink customers like myself that may be interested in getting the Treo 650 from Earthlink at the end of this month (only 15 days left), the following is a link to a pre-registration page which will help you save $150 when it launches.

h t t p://earthlink.emktg.info/email/wireless/treo650pc/registration.page

(P.S. I put spaces in the "http" portion so you could see the entire link; otherwise, the URL gets truncated!)

It will interesting to see what Earthlink's initial plans and pricing will be and whether we will really be able to choose either Verizon or Sprint as our primary with roaming on the other.
    (P.S. I put spaces in the "http" portion so you could see the entire link; otherwise, the URL gets truncated!)
    It only truncates the viewable text. The actual link url remains intact though, so you can still click on it. It does this clean up the post a little.
    See?....
    http://earthlink.emktg.info/email/wi...istration.page
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    It only truncates the viewable text. The actual link url remains intact though, so you can still click on it. It does this clean up the post a little.
    See?....
    http://earthlink.emktg.info/email/wi...istration.page
    taylorh ~ Thanks so much. Your replies are very astute, and I appreciate your help on the URL. Obviously, I'm a new poster here and your gentle guidance is much appreciated.
  18. JMS
    Can anyone help me. I called earthlink and they told me that for the 650 the only reseller is sprint. nothing re verizon. I wont use earthlink unless I know for sure that it's verizon's network. Can anyone confirm that Verizon will be a choice under earthlink.