Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am visiting california for a month and am having TERRIBLE reception with my sprint 650. I drop almost every call. I cannot give up the 650 now that I've got it, but I really can't go on for the next 26 days like this. I am willing to buy a whole new treo from verizon and just sell mine on ebay another day but I need to know what the data status is with the Verizon 650. Will the $10 a month or whatever plan work? the one that uses the air time i mean... do I HAVE to use a quota'd data plan or go for their outrageous unlimited plan? I dont mind using air time because I usually go for a massive minute plan so I dont mind using airtime for the emails etc. Thanks.
    No more airtime. Data plans are pay as you go, 5MB or unlimited.
  3.    #3  
    ok, so with Sprint I'm looking at $20 a month or whatever while with Verizon if I want unlimited data, I pay something like $80 a month?
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbidiji
    ok, so with Sprint I'm looking at $20 a month or whatever while with Verizon if I want unlimited data, I pay something like $80 a month?

Nope.... $45.00

d
    What if you set it up to receive emails (headers only) using imap accounts. Does it ping the service constantly and rack up data charges? Can you set it to only check every 30 minutes? I'm just trying to figure out if the 5mb plan is enough. I only want it to check my email and occasionally browse for a movie time, directions, or a restaurant, etc.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    There is one approach to avoid unrealized continuous connections - set up two connections, one - default but dead (pointing nowhwere and unable to connect) and the other - real. Your default will make sure no background connections are established. Switch to the real when you need it and when done - back to default. Akward but apparently necessary for limited plans to avoid $100s suprises.
    Ed
    zorz.net
    Palm III > Palm V > palm Vx > Palm m500 > Sony Clie SJ33 > Palm Treo 650
    can't set up an additional connection on the VZW 650.... you're locked into the one and only *real* connection

if this weren't the case, it would be EASY to do minute-metered data... just have a connection that dialed into your dial up ISP.
    Hotch, although I haven't been able to successfully get my Virtual Modem connection to work, you can create additional connections by doing Menu>New. I had the dial up on my 600 working, but the connection is very slow @ 11k. It worked for checking e-mail and other basic functionality.
    Slorandy may have something here. I'm going to experiment with a local dial-up ISP and see if I can get on the Net.
    OK, I was able to create a new connection. I entered in a local ISP's number, username and password.
    It dialed it and said it was conecting (hands shaking icon) but no connection, tried the mobile.palmone.com site, nothing.
    Rats, it was a good theory.
    Brighthand had an article today announcing that VzW is dropping the prices on data plans next Monday:
    http://www.brighthand.com/article/Ve...ps_Data_Prices
    Good article XJCoupe. I'm surprised to see the price of unlimited data is the same for phones whether or not they have EV-DO ($49.99/mo befor $5.00 discount). That's what I already pay with Verizon ($45.00/mo) for EV-DO.
    That's a joke.

Still $45 for unlimited data? No thanks.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I have discovered that the Wireless Sync software alone will use about 5 MB a month by itself. Fortunately I uninstalled it before my wife went over the 5 MB because she used to have unlimited but never went over 4 MB with normal browsing.

Another thing to keep in mind, the 5 MB plan plus an extra 3 MB costs about the same as the unlimited. If you consistantly hit around 6 or 7 MB's and never go over that it makes more sense to have the 5 MB plan and just pay the overages. And it now looks like Verizon is raising the lowest plan from 5 MB to 10 MB starting May 23 so if you use less than 13 MB's get the $24.99 plan instead of the $44.99.

UPDATE: Verizon will change your 5 MB plan to the new 10 MB plan as of now, I just called and got it changed. Same price as the old plan.
    Last edited by cadams; 05/17/2005 at 07:39 AM.
    what about people that are currently on the "use my minutes" plan ?

-Randy
    I just recently noticed the "Pay as you go" note on my bill. I called and explained that I have had a Palm phone since the I300, and started with VZW almost 2 years ago....first with the Kyocera 7135, then the I600, then Treo600. I explained that since DAY ONE I have used MOU, and that I have NEVER had an enormous bill. I have a firm understanding of how the phone works, that one needs to make sure it is disconnected...or your burning minutes. I politely explained that my contract is up in a matter of weeks, that I want my account put back the way it was (and has always been). The person commented that he would put it back, credit my account for any usage I was wrongly charged for, and make a note that basically stated that I confirmed I was fully aware that I was using MOU. I do not get on the internet that often....just to suck e-mail down with Snappermail then it disconnects. I like things just the way they are....as long as they leave me alone I guess I'll leave them alone.
    i do not have the 650 yet from vzw. not sure exactly what 5 or 10mb will be??? just checking emails and occasional browsing. hate to pay 40+bucks as i am usually within reach of a pc
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    My wife is a bank branch manager and does a lot of sales calls. She uses the internet for dirving directions, looking up phone numbers and checking emails through Snappermail. She never went over 4 MB. We installed Wireless Sync to give her the push email capability and this pushed the total MB usage to 5 MB including a much more limited use of the internet. 10 MB should be more than enough usgae limit if you only use the internet for information and not for entertainment.
    I am really trying to get a grasp on this....it is kind of confusing for me. (Sorry).

Simply put, at this point I want to be able to do the following with my Treo 650 (when I purchase it after 5/23)....
    [list][*]Combine the functions of a Cellular phone & PDA[*]Light Browsing on the Internet. Weather, Sports Scores, Directions, maybe view emails on my Yahoo Account.[*]Support my Sports Gambling habit....trust me it is just recreational amd is paying for my new 650 !!![*]Emails and other downloading of data will be done at work or on my home PC. This will not be done with my Treo.

Should I be able to get away with the new 10mb for 24.99(?) of do I need to pay for unlimited?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinger
    I am really trying to get a grasp on this....it is kind of confusing for me. (Sorry).

Simply put, at this point I want to be able to do the following with my Treo 650 (when I purchase it after 5/23)....
    [list][*]Combine the functions of a Cellular phone & PDA[*]Light Browsing on the Internet. Weather, Sports Scores, Directions, maybe view emails on my Yahoo Account.[*]Support my Sports Gambling habit....trust me it is just recreational amd is paying for my new 650 !!![*]Emails and other downloading of data will be done at work or on my home PC. This will not be done with my Treo.

Should I be able to get away with the new 10mb for 24.99(?) of do I need to pay for unlimited?

Thanks.
    Remember, everyone's usage pattern is different.

From personal painful experience, my advice is bite the bullet for the first 2 months only, and get the unlimited plan for the first two months. This will allow you the freedom and leeway to "play" with the phone and figure out your usage patterns. Watch your KB usage, and then make an educated decision regarding which plan is best for you.

I use SnapperMail, and I found the difference between checking messages every 60 minutes during business hours and every 20 minutes during business hours ended up making a very big difference. A several hundred dollar difference while on the 5KB plan.

Hope this helps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast