1.    #1  
    I am having no luck getting the DUN hack working on my vzw treo... i download it to the card, copy it over, but it won't activate the option
    What is DUN?
  3.    #3  
    dial up networking

so i can use the 650 as a cellular modem for my laptop
    Just curious, but where did you get a DUN hack for VZW T650?

Are you trying to use shadowmite's? If so, did he approve it yet for VZW, cause if not, per his warning, your T650 will die a horrible, ravaging death.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
  5.    #5  
    i am trying shadowmites.

no approval. no bluetooth check box either
    Will PDANet still work though?
    Bump
  8.    #8  
    here's the deal.

I'm willing to flash my VZW treo with the sprint firmware with DUN hacked and test that *IF* i have 5 people willing to paypal me $10 each if it fries my phone (so i can pay the insurance deductible)

PM me if you're willing
  9.    #9  
    We've got 1!

Need 4 more.
    You're not going to fry your treo if you only flash over the bt files from the Sprint version. If it doesn't work, you'll just have to flash the original files back.

Myself, I'm waiting for a full copy of the VZW rom so that I can try it out on my verizonized sprint 650.
  11.    #11  
    what i'm thinking of doing is flashing the whole verizonized sprint ROM onto mine.

the shadowmite hack for the sprint rom doesn't work on the verizon rom, so i think i need to do a full firmware flash to make it work
    Why would you flash the whole Sprint ROM to your VZW phone after waiting forever to get your VZW version?
    You could have converted a Sprint phone 6 months ago.

And without having a full VZW rom to flash back to if you happen to have problems, your taking your treo's life in your hands.

Just give it another week or so and I'm sure something will be available.
    Just found the updated hack at Shadowmite's website, the author of the original DUN file. Read all the way at the bottom of the thread... the first few posts suggest it does not work, but it has been modified and confirmed to work according to Shadowmite:

http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516

Enjoy!
    Last edited by talkin73; 05/17/2005 at 05:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotch
    dial up networking

so i can use the 650 as a cellular modem for my laptop

Is a hack required to make the Verizon 650 dial out on its own? I don't need it to act as a modem for a laptop. I just need a connection and ssh. The goal is not to have a laptop, but I need to dialup to my ISP, not some verizon account.

Thanks!
    Working on my VZW treo!!
    I installed the verizon BT DUN file from shadowmite, and it worked great the very first time. Thanks for this feature.

Interesting idea about using DUN for the Treo browser instead of paying verizon $45 a month. This service is sooo slow, and totally not worth the price. I am bagging the data plan after this month.
    what method did you guys use to download the hack from his website email/versmail or the SD card? my 650 wont let me save the attacment to ram, any ideas? All i get for options is to view it or save it to SD card
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcr7079
    what method did you guys use to download the hack from his website email/versmail or the SD card? my 650 wont let me save the attacment to ram, any ideas? All i get for options is to view it or save it to SD card
    I used the email method. When you click on the attachment from Versamail, there is a confirmation dialog that asks if you want to load this file again. The first time I thought the file was already loaded so I answered no.

You need to answer "yes".

I also noticed that my Sony Vaio laptop did not find the Treo. I finally got it to find it by initially turning the DUN off from the bluetooth manager and then once my laptop saw the treo, I enabled DUN.

I tested the speed using the dslreports site and the speed was about 87 kb/s

I guess I'll use it if I have no other alternatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonsdad
    I used the email method. When you click on the attachment from Versamail, there is a confirmation dialog that asks if you want to load this file again. The first time I thought the file was already loaded so I answered no.

You need to answer "yes".

I also noticed that my Sony Vaio laptop did not find the Treo. I finally got it to find it by initially turning the DUN off from the bluetooth manager and then once my laptop saw the treo, I enabled DUN.

I tested the speed using the dslreports site and the speed was about 87 kb/s

I guess I'll use it if I have no other alternatives.
    how is web surfing at that speed on your laptop. im thinking about doing the same thing with my s-series instead of getting evdo ($80/mo). how close/far can the phone be?
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HerbieC
    how is web surfing at that speed on your laptop. im thinking about doing the same thing with my s-series instead of getting evdo ($80/mo). how close/far can the phone be?
    It reminded me of the dial-up I had to use when I was visiting my parents. I am only going to use it if I have no other choices.

If you are used to the broadband speed, you would be disappointed.

I haven't tested to see how far the phone can be from the laptop. From what I've read, the distance depends on the environment and what other wirless things are in the area.