1.    #1  
    I just got a verizon treo 600 and I am trying to figure out how many kilobytes to expect to use with the wireless sync??? I wanted to be able to sync the phone to my email account using (via imap) and use it to read and send messages only. I have no desire to download attachments or to use the internet on the phone. My question is, would the 5mb data plan be sufficient.

I spoke to three people at verizon and tried searching this forum but couldnt find an answer.

I tend to get two mb or so worth of attachements per week and a fair amount of emails a day. Does the phone count the size of the attachments against me even if I dont try to download them? Does the syncing constantly use up kb in the dataplan (to the extent where it would be problematic) or would it only do so when there are new messages to be recieved. The unlimited dataplan is currently too expensive for me so I am trying to figure out what to do and I cant find consistent answers to this anywhere.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    If you are using their wireless sync, you really should look into the unlimited data for $45. It is a lot of money for data, but their wireless sync constantly uses the network and doesn't disconnect properly, so you could easily end up with a $1000 bill.

If all you want to do is check email (via IMAP), then I would look into SnapperMail, AgendusMail or Versamail, there are also a few others, but these are the ones I have tried, and Snapper works the best, Agendus isn't too bad, Versamail works on some accounts and not on others, it is pretty unreliable.

Using any of the IMAP apps above, you can specify not to download attachments, so that should not be a problem, plus if you have it configured to only download the headers, it won't download the body until you tell it to, so it is pretty efficient.

Also, I would look into using something like Treo Connection Manager, to disconnect your data connection after a specified timeout, that will reduce the amount of time you are connected.

The 5MB plan may be enough if you use one of these apps and only use email and DO NOT install wireless sync. If you browse the internet or install Wireless Sync, then the 5MB will not be enough.
  3.    #3  
    Ok thanks... I just looked at snappermail's webpage. Would you recommend the enterprise version to do this? It didnt look like the others were imap compatible... but Im not positve. Thanks
    It's probably a good idea to start off wih the unlimited plan at first, and check your data usage at the end of the month. You can check it in "My Account", but I understand it lags a few days. If you are seeing you use less than 5 MB you can downgrade later. You would be suprised how fast you can munch down data...
  5.    #5  
    The unlimited plan is just too expensive at the moment... basically doubling my phone bill... if the 5mb plan didnt work then I just wont be using it for email.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm_beer
    If all you want to do is check email (via IMAP), then I would look into SnapperMail, AgendusMail or Versamail, there are also a few others, but these are the ones I have tried, and Snapper works the best, Agendus isn't too bad, Versamail works on some accounts and not on others, it is pretty unreliable.
    Chatter Email is best for an IMAP-based (and now POP3!) email client solution. I would beyond strongly recommend it. www.chatteremail.com

...No, I don't work for them (him), but I wish I did!

Cheers!
    I'm a grad student right now with the same concern about the data cost,so I have spent a bunch of time looking into this and talking to Verizon reps. The per kb rate works out to be something like $15 per MB, so if you go with the 5MB plan you should be aware that it only takes about 1.3MB over your 5MB allocation to hit $45 for a month.

Then think about this, if you get the 5MB plan, and at 8MB total use your bill is $55, and if you actually end up using 10MB, your bill is $100.

Verizon only updates your data usage every few days, so it will be very easy to blow through this and end up with a month costing you more than the $45. It's your money, but going for a month at $45 is almost an insurance policy for you to test your data usage. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but looking at the file size column in my Outlook right now, I've easily gotten more than 1MB in emails (not counting any with attachments) in the past two days.
    You can use QNC for light web and email. It's slower, but it only uses minutes, essentially making nights and weekends free.
    It's been my exerience Verizon has effectively turned off QNC unless you have a data plan.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    Chatter Email is best for an IMAP-based (and now POP3!) email client solution. I would beyond strongly recommend it. www.chatteremail.com

...No, I don't work for them (him), but I wish I did!

Cheers!
    I haven't played with Chattermail much, but I thought it was more geared to PUSH IMAP, and would require frequent access to the network, hence increasing data usage. If you have the unlimited data plan, then I would have recommended Chattermail, but for low data use, I thought the others were better.
    You can use Chattermail with POP or non-idle IMAP accounts but Snappermail may be best if you do NOT have a data plan.

You might get by with the 5 mb plan if you do limited email and no web.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for all your help. I downloaded snappermail and set it to retrieve headers only... this seems like it should work well, allowing me to download the messeges I need when I need them rather than everything (i.e. internal spam) each time. Hopefully this will be sufficient with the 5mb plan until verizon decides to lower their prices for the unlimited one (if ever).

-Jordan
    Also, to help you keep track of your usage there is a data counter in the call log. From the phone app, hit the center button and select call log, then select "Totals". It looks like it dosen't start counting until you select it for the first time, and you can reset it as often as you like. I'm not sure how acurate it is, but it may be better than trying to keep up using verizon's website!
  14.    #14  
    Thanks, very useful (assuming that its accurate).