1.    #1  
    Anyone know if the islands support CDMA or just GSM? Specifically St. Lucia.
    Outside of the US and Canada it is pretty much a GSM world.
    I was just in St. Lucia (at Sandals Regency - Great Place!) last August and my CDMA VZW phone did not work. Plan ahead with calling cards as well. I called collect back to the states - talked for 5 minutes and the charge was $40.00.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wballz33
    Anyone know if the islands support CDMA or just GSM? Specifically St. Lucia.
    Nope. Puerto Rico.................yes. St. Lucia, St. Barths, St. Marteen, ........................no. This is why I am thinking of switching to GSM. But sprint's data plan has got me hooked.
    carribean right now surfing with my sprint treo 650. so far, I've used the data services at,
    st thomas
    san juan.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by steng01
    carribean right now surfing with my sprint treo 650. so far, I've used the data services at,
    st thomas
    san juan.
    yes but GSM or CDMA?
    There is full CDMA support in Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands; (I believe) only GSM support in the rest of the Caribbean.

Check the Sprint site for international coverage; they have a map.
    Josť

Palm IIIx -> m505 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JFReyes
    There is full CDMA support in Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands; (I believe) only GSM support in the rest of the Caribbean.

Check the Sprint site for international coverage; they have a map.
    This is quite correct, any "U.S. Islands" may have CDMA but the french, british, dutch, etc. are going to be GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wballz33
    yes but GSM or CDMA?
    carribean right now surfing with my sprint treo 650.
    He already answered your question.
    I'm back!
    I'm from Grenada (southern caribbean). There's the old analog CDMA or whatever it is still supported by cable and wireless on most of the islands. So if i travel with my old Startac I get coverage (every expensive).. but since the Treo doesn't do Analog, it's useless down there.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    st thomas
    san juan.
    Data works too?? How is this possible? There's no CDMA data roaming in the US, so I can't imagine it would work overseas either - unless Sprint has towers there....
    I'm from Trinidad and Tobago. It's a GSM world here (although the TDMA network is still being supported) and in most of the islands... and really for the rest of the world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Data works too?? How is this possible? There's no CDMA data roaming in the US, so I can't imagine it would work overseas either - unless Sprint has towers there....
    Yes, there is Sprint coverage in Puerto Rico. I enjoy full services without any roaming when I go there in many areas.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I was in Jamaica in January and was able to get a signal with my Sprint phone. I was roaming, but it was on another CDMA carrier whose name I cannot remember.
    I've gotten great Sprint service (no roaming) including data in St. Thomas.
    I'm going on a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean in a few months, and I'll be bringing my Sprint Treo 650, so we'll see if it works. I'll be in St. Maarten and St. Thomas and one more island I can't remember the name of.
    What about Mexico ?
    Going to be in the Riviera Maya area.....
    I was able to get a signal in Mexico back in 2003. I didn't use my phone, though. At least you know you should be able to get a CDMA signal there.