Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I had SprintPCS for years, and got away from them the second that number portability went into effect. I was happy with Verizon for a year or so, but they didn't have the Treo 650 that I desperately had to have (yeah, I'm a dumbass).

I decided to give Sprint a try again (only because of the phone). Well, I've been screwed AGAIN by them. When I signed up with them, I told the dork in the shop that I wanted my bill to be a max of $125, and explained everything I wanted. He said he could do that no problem. He didn't bother explaining that the way he was doing things, it would be $125 a month for two months until all the promotional stuff expired, then shoot up to $150. That's not what I agreed to. I had to fight with their support manager on the phone to get it down to $130 a month after the promotion BS expired.

I get free roaming and free long distance with my account. Apparently, that doesn't include long distance while you are roaming. I just got off the phone with one of their trained monkeys who couldn't understand that if I'm traveling and make a call that ends up roaming, OF COURSE it's going to be long distance. Free Roaming is total BS since you have to pay $.25 a minute anyways for "long distance" while you are roaming.

Just another way Sprint PCS promises one thing and screws you out of it. Why did I ever leave Verizon? No phone is worth going back to Sprint. As soon as Verizon has the 650, I'm going back to them and telling Sprint to screw themselves, then giving my wife permission to shoot me if I EVER think of going to Sprint again.

What the hell was I thinking?

R
    I am beginning to wonder if the ay these providers actually make money is by purposely screwing up all the billing and hoping a decent percentage of the people don't notice.

I have had to call Cingular for example and have all roaming charges removed for 3 consecutive months. They didn't argue with me and said I never should get charged anything for roaming or long distance for my nationwide plan ($59) but it's still a PITA that after 3 tries, they can't get this straightened out. It seems after a tech fixes my account, it resets itself and starts charging me again. Right now I am paying $19 and change / month for 4 phones on the nationwide plan, one with 200 text messages and one with unlimted data.
    I think it all depends on each person and the rep they deal with.
    I have been with Sprint for 5 years now and have no complaints except wait time for customer service. The reception is great in the greater Boston area, I have an awesome plan which includes roaming and long distance in the US (which all of their plans used to include) free Sprint to Sprint, a loyalty discount of 5% for the time they messed up and $10/month for internet which is the cheapest and second fastest now that EVDO is out with Verizon.
    I can't see myself switching to any other carrier unless I want to pay twice what I pay now.
    I ask myself a similar question often. The only reason I stay is the rate, but I still want to move to Cingular(they have their own problems though, it seems). I agree that Verizon is actually one of the best.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDingus
    Why does Sprint Screw Their Customers?
    Because they can?
    Sprint PCS Treo 600 & 650
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
    Every carrier has some kind of issue. My friends all have different carriers and they always complain about there service or there customer service. No matter who you go to you will find some kind of problem. I had a few hiccups with sprint but they resolve the issue and know I moved on . With sprint I get 7pm, pcs to pcs free, 20% off my bill, and $10 unlimited internet and pics. Any other carrier would probably charge you double or if not more. All I'm saying is just way your options before you act .
    I have to ask myself many times why people choose Sprint. One of my friends is locked into that two year contract mess with terrible service, plans, and unfriendly customer service. He is thinking about opting out the contract to switch to another carrier. I wish you all luck with being a Sprint customer.
    You never lived until you almost died!
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    which is the cheapest and second fastest now that EVDO is out with Verizon.
    Sprint doesn't offer broadband service at all at this time. Verizon doesn't offer broadband on the Treo. Only broadband service for the Treo comes from Cingular.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1757450,00.asp

"Think of Cingular's version of the PalmOne Treo 650 as the Treo 655. As a PDA, this Treo 650 is exactly the same as the earlier [Sprint] version we gave an Editor's Choice to in November......This [Cingular's] Treo's phone capabilities are superior, however. ...and it uses the faster EDGE data network......The Cingular 650 packs in a Class 10 EDGE modem for fast data transfers.... at least double the average speed of Sprint's CDMA 1X network."

Granted proximity to tower, size of downloads and other factors will all affect transmission speed but under PC Rag's controlled tests in various markets, they measured 220 Kbps on Cingular to 80 Kbps on Sprint on large downloads.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1770717,00.asp

What hurts EDGE is latency and, when dealing with small Kb transferes, the latency (time pause between send / receive) can make the speed seem comparable to CDMA service. Latency however is a non-factor on larger d/l's.

If you're sending text messages and short e-mails I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the networks apart. For that user, (and ignoring battery life differences) I'd say Sprint is a better choice for the $10 a month savings. But if you do download large items or visit graphic rich sites, then broadband will be important to you and the $10 could be money well spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I ask myself a similar question often. The only reason I stay is the rate, but I still want to move to Cingular(they have their own problems though, it seems). I agree that Verizon is actually one of the best.
    I have noth Verizon and Cingular and I get mad at both. Cingular tho for cost and reception issues is my "everyday" and Verizon is my emergency backup. To me, best thing about Verizon is OnStar.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyDingus
    I get free roaming and free long distance with my account. Apparently, that doesn't include long distance while you are roaming. I just got off the phone with one of their trained monkeys who couldn't understand that if I'm traveling and make a call that ends up roaming, OF COURSE it's going to be long distance. Free Roaming is total BS since you have to pay $.25 a minute anyways for "long distance" while you are roaming.
    While it sounds like the sales rep you had was a punk, I think you bear some responsibility for not reading/understanding your contract.
    Also, I'm confused about the long distance thing. I don't know what your plan is like (and apparently you don't either), but generally people have the "Free and Clear America" option ($5/month) which gives you free roaming AND long distance - up to 1/2 of your minutes. I'm not aware of any Sprint plan which would give you roaming but not long distance....
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Sprint doesn't offer broadband service at all at this time. Verizon doesn't offer broadband on the Treo. Only broadband service for the Treo comes from Cingular.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1757450,00.asp

"Think of Cingular's version of the PalmOne Treo 650 as the Treo 655. As a PDA, this Treo 650 is exactly the same as the earlier [Sprint] version we gave an Editor's Choice to in November......This [Cingular's] Treo's phone capabilities are superior, however. ...and it uses the faster EDGE data network......The Cingular 650 packs in a Class 10 EDGE modem for fast data transfers.... at least double the average speed of Sprint's CDMA 1X network."
    EDGE is "broadband"?? Wow, now I've heard it all! Double the average speed of 1x? I wonder if PC Magazine copied and pasted that from a Cingular ad...
    There's just no pleasing some people, and some just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Maybe a better question is why do so many Sprint customers fail to read the contract they agree to, then pi** and moan when they don't like it??
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    I haven't had any real issues with sprint. Do I 'like' their "18 month" program....NO. I bought my treo 600 used off ebay, activated it with sprint and they won't consider that date the date I started my 18 months (they are counting the date I added my wife to my account with her 'free' phone :-(

I think each provided will do what they can to keep and sometimes 'lose' customers. Its a free market...if I don't like it...I have options.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    EDGE is "broadband"?? Wow, now I've heard it all! Double the average speed of 1x? I wonder if PC Magazine copied and pasted that from a Cingular ad...
    Amen. Cingular touts EDGE as 3G. Sprint touts 1xRTT (Vision) as 3G. They're both full of poo, but I like Sprint better.

I think they are both technically 2.5G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    I think you should read the article .....

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1772830,00.asp

It's about 12 pages long....a bit to long for ad copy and has loads of data tables from benchmarking the various services. Measured speed on CDMA tests was 80 Kbps, measured speed on EDGE was 220Kbps, measured speed on EV-DO was 1,100 Kbps. Tests were done in New York City, Raleigh, North Carolina; San Francisco; Dallas; and Las Vegas.

I didn't see any letters or press releases from Sprint or any other carriers complaining about any inaccuracies in the article.

You could also read any other article on wireless broadband. EDGE is a 3G network, even if it's latency issues make some dub it a 2.5 G network (no such standard BTW, kinda like calling the post merger carrier "AT&Tingular"....doesn't really exist but everyone knows what ya talkin about). By industry definition, "3G = broadband wireless". Here's a quote for ya:

"Wireless Without Borders: Networks for Those on the Go

We're talking about the ability to connect to the Internet via laptop, cell phone, or PDA while in a cab or on a train. We mean connections on the road that are fast enough to rival your broadband at home. The new mobile wireless is here, thanks to third-generation (3G) cell-phone networks."

"For now, two cell-phone companiesóCingular and Verizon Wirelessóoffer 3G networks in the U.S. (Cingular has two networks, one from its merger with AT&T.)"

With EV-DO and UTMS (Cingular's other network) not available on the Treo, the only Treo option for 3G is Cingular.

Again, most users probably won't see the speed difference as in normal short communication, EDGE's latency will make them even.

Here's an example not using measured numbers but accuarte enough to give you an idea of what's happening:

CDMA at 50 Kpbs will take say 12 seconds to d/l 600Kb

EDGE at 150 Kbps will take 4 seconds to download 600Kb but has 4 seconds of latency at the beginning and end of the connection so the total time is 12 seconds. The user experiences the same 12 seconds but one did downlaod the stuff a lot faster than the other.

So most people will not notice the difference. However, download 6 Mb and you have 120 seconds on CDMA and 40 + 4 + 4 on EDGE. Again all this will change depending on location, closeness to tower and other factors. This is how PC Mag saw the big differences. Their tests used 1 MB and 5 MB file downloads.

In the next round however, say 2006, it looks like Sprint will have the better data speed position on the next Treo. EVDO which Sprint should have in time for the next Treo, is faster than Cingular's UTMS-HSDPA stuff. While Cingular will sacrifice speed, they will have something that nobody else will have...the ability to handle voice and data at the same time....talk on your headset witha caller while browsing the web, doing file sharing, whatever at the same time.
    All I know is that you can take your Cingular 650 against my Sprint 650 any day and I GUARANTEE that you won't download anything 2.75 times faster.

Also, I know that as great as EV-DO will be, you won't see real-world speeds of 1100 kbps initially.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Jack, I've read the article. However I trust user data from TC more than I trust whatever a magazine has to say. Trust me, no one here is getting anywhere close to 220k per second. Looking at user-posted data, most users are averaging between 80 - 120k for BOTH Sprint and Cingular. I think a few Cingular users have seen bursts up to 140 or 150, but that's momentary.
    I really have nothing against EDGE, but I do get a kick out of all the hype is was getting last year before its release - only to now discover it's really no better than 1x which has been around for a while.
    Seems like real world speeds for Cingular and Sprint are the same for the most part from user posts here at Treocentral.
    That being said, I would rather get my phone 5 months earlier if the data speed is so similar.
    Also latency make a HUGE difference. When you are browsing web pages, latency takes effect every time you finish readinga page and click a link. Considering Blazer has a 2mb limit on pages anyways, how often are you really downloading huge files to the Treo? Sprint is doing fine streaming audio even at 128kbps - I can't complain about the speed.

Don't get me wrong, I am all about the fastest and best device out. I just don't see the cingular Treo as being any faster and worth a 5 month wait. Most users for Treos will be sending text messages, emails, and loading web pages where latency matters. Most users will not be downloading 8 meg files where a 20k burst difference in speed may make a noticeable difference.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    All I know is that you can take your Cingular 650 against my Sprint 650 any day and I GUARANTEE that you won't download anything 2.75 times faster.

Also, I know that as great as EV-DO will be, you won't see real-world speeds of 1100 kbps initially.
    I have the Verizon EVDO laptop card and it blazes - but not at 1100 kbps. More like 400-650 kbps.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast