1.    #1  
    I couldn't help but notice on the TC story (Earthlink Wireless to offer Treo 650), that Earthlink uses the Sprint network. If that is so, how is Earthlink able to offer phones that even Sprint hasn't released yet, like the Blackberry 7250?? Note on this link that Earthlink already has the 7250, which is a device I'm waiting for Sprint to release for our organization to test. Does that make sense?
    KitMoni
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    The BB 7250 is resold through VZW's network by Earthlink, not Sprint.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ambtreo
    The BB 7250 is resold through VZW's network by Earthlink, not Sprint.
    So does Earthlink resell both VZW and SPCS? Maybe that's what I didn't understand. I got the impression from the TC story that they sold the SPCS network, but I didn't think that they would sell both. ??
    KitMoni
  4.    #4  
    After a little research, it appears that Earthlink is actually using VZW's network, not Sprint. I'm basing that on the answer from Earthlink, and the fact that they have the Bb 7750 and 7250 (like VZW), but not the T650 yet (like VZW).

Marcus, are you sure about the information in the story that they're using the SPCS network?
    KitMoni
    Looks like SK-Earthlink MVNO's on both SPCS and VZW networks.

"SK-EarthLink will offer the services using network capacity bought from Sprint and Verizon Wireless."

InfoWorld January 26, 2005 Article

No idea about which the 650 will be running on though...
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by topher
    Looks like SK-Earthlink MVNO's on both SPCS and VZW networks.

"SK-EarthLink will offer the services using network capacity bought from Sprint and Verizon Wireless."

InfoWorld January 26, 2005 Article

No idea about which the 650 will be running on though...
    Good find! Their pricing plans seem to mirror VZW at this point ($40 for data, plus your voice plan), which still makes it a bit more expensive than SPCS.

Separately, where did you come up with the user name TOPHER? I had that nickname all through high school and was finally able to shake it in college.
    KitMoni
    Thanks
    I had been looking for stuff about SK-Earthlink the other day and remembered I had read that article. Yep, can't beat a grandfathered $10 unlimited vision with unlimited messaging.

Picked up the nickname when I got to college. There were too many other people named Chris and one day someone called me Topher. I answered, it stuck. Moral of the story - be careful what you answer to.
  8.    #8  
    How funny - that's exactly where mine came from - friends tired of three or four Chris' and decided I was Topher from then on. I even named a dog (rest his soul) Topher in memory of that.
    KitMoni
    Sprint is getting the 7250 as well, as is Alltel. Verizon was first to market with it - as Sprint was with the Treo 650 - so my guess is that they had an "exclusive" deal on this for a limited time. I'd expect to see it show up sometime soon from Sprint...
    I thought Sprint & Earthlink were the same company?
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Sorry for reposting this, but I got this message from customer support when I sent some questions.
    Dear Valued Customer,

We do not have all the info you requested as of yet due to the launch being a
    month away. I will try to answer your question as best as possible, but remember
    the answers are subject to change.

1. It is CDMA currently set to run off of Sprint's network.
    2. It is not EVDO. Its CDMA 2000 1xRTT with speeds that burst to 144kbps.
    3. We should be offering unlimited data service for about $40 a month and 500
    min plans for an additional $40 a month. We currently do not offer family plans.
    4. You may keep your existing Earthlink email address for use with your Treo.
    5. I have no info on weather or not we will offer service to customer supplied
    devices.

Remember, all this info is subject to change. Please check with us around the
    middle of May and we should have more info for you.

EarthLink Electronic Customer Support
    EarthLink, Inc.
    Did the CSR really spell Whether as "Weather"? Lord help us, we are becoming dummies in the digital age.

I like Earthlink's ad. I wonder what all the "Earthlink specific" functionality will be.