1.    #1  
    I just purchased a Treo and it should be here very soon.
    my one question is, how does it handle email?

do you get emails sent like text messages like if it's sent to MYNUMBER@VZW.com ?? or do you setup a pop3 account and it uses up airtime to check that email?

If anyone could let me know i'd be very grateful.
    Both are possible.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mathews
    Both are possible.
    how do i utilize both of them?
    i ask because i am working on a new flyer for my business and I'd like put it on there...but i don't want to be getting charged from VZW for constantly being connected to the internet. So would I like to take the SMS method like mynumber@vtext.com ? or can you make it so you get POP like a text message?
    I'm not sure if there is a way to get an SMS message when you receive POP3 email. With the email account Sprint provides that's possible, but I don't know if the capability is possible with Verizon. With SMS message there is a character limit, so depending on the size of the email you'll be receiving it might not be the best solution.

For POP3 email, you can schedule the retrieval so that you're not constantly connected. I don't remember if the built-in Mail program can disconnect after checking but Snappermail can and that's the one that I use.
    there's a free POP/IMAP email client included on the CD with the Verizon 600. It's called Wireless Sync, and can act as either an Exchange syncing redirector (if used by an individual) or also it can set up as a standalone mail client, to access your generic internet email account (like Comcast or Joe'sISP.net - that sort of thing). You can also get more info and register for an account (it's free) at www.wirelesssync.vzw.com - just make sure you pay attention to the setup for 'internet mail'.
    There are also a ton of other email clients out there for the Treo - www.snappermail.com - is one, and there are lots more. The fact that you have a Verizon 600 is immaterial to what email client you use.

Good luck!!
    Global Posts
    949 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    there's a free POP/IMAP email client included on the CD with the Verizon 600. It's called Wireless Sync,
    [snip...]
    Good luck!!
    I'm not sure you can use the Wireless Sync client as a standalone mail application--I've never tried that (I didn't know it was an option!). I believe you can only use it with the Wireless Sync Web site, or with the Wireless Sync client running on a PC.

That said, the Verizon Wireless Treo 600 does not come with a built-in, or pre-installed, mail application. If you send something to an email address, they will charge you per message (25 cents?) unless you have a package.
    Same goes for SMS.

I suggest, as others have, you use either SnapperMail or the Wireless Sync setup. I've used both of these and they both work well for me.

If you choose SnapperMail, you can use VZW's smtp service to send mail out. If you choose Wireless Sync, it will take care of that for you.

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SOLIDAge
    I just purchased a Treo and it should be here very soon.
    my one question is, how does it handle email?

do you get emails sent like text messages like if it's sent to MYNUMBER@VZW.com ?? or do you setup a pop3 account and it uses up airtime to check that email?

If anyone could let me know i'd be very grateful.
    I have the Verizon Treo600, and you can send short messages to your phone using the MYNUMBER@vtext.com just note it is @vtext.com not vzw.com, as far as real e-mail, use the other sugestions, or a POP3 client such as SnapperMail to check an existing e-mail account.

Hope that helps.

PS: Also keep in mind messages sent to MYNUMBER@vtext.com are limited in the number of characters, including the heading information. Most messages will be truncated if sent as SMS.