1.    #1  
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable

"Seidenberg, for instance, said people often complain about mobile phone service because they have unrealistic expectations about a wireless service working everywhere. Verizon Wireless, a joint venture of Verizon and Vodafone, is the state's largest mobile phone provider.

"Why in the world would you think your (cell) phone would work in your house?" he said. "The customer has come to expect so much. They want it to work in the elevator; they want it to work in the basement."

Seidenberg said it's not Verizon's responsibility to correct the misconception by giving out statistics on how often Verizon's service works inside homes or by distributing more detailed coverage maps, showing all the possible dead zones. He pointed out that there are five major wireless networks, none of which works perfectly everywhere. "
    I'm guessing the VZW marketing department is busy lining up a firing squad for Mr. Seidenberg...
  3. sj3
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    People are porting their landline #'s all over the place and the cell providers are encouraging that. I d**m well want it to work in the basement! Sprint, at least, had a major problem with that but Verizon is fine where I live. Either providers need to respond to our needs or set our expectations honestly.

sj
    Quote Originally Posted by sj3
    Either providers need to respond to our needs or set our expectations honestly.

sj
    Or at least price their service accordingly. Every time I pick up my home phone I can dial out. I can't always do that with my cell. Come to think of it, the telcos probably need to re-evaluate their pricing as well.

Telcos: Works every time I pick up the phone, can't take it more than 100 ft from the base station.
    Wireless: Doesn't work everywhere, but I can use it wherever there is service.

I guess whichever of them figures out how to combine those services, as well as provide low-cost, fast data, will win.
    I'm back!
    "Why in the world would you think your (cell) phone would work in your house?" he said. "The customer has come to expect so much. They want it to work in the elevator; they want it to work in the basement."

Well if they didn't advertise with some guy walking all over the place saying "Can you hear me now?" then I wouldn't be expecting so much from them!

Buy honestly, I am a Verizon customer and have been for a long time and I have tried all of the other companies on numerous times and always went back to Verizon, because of the areas I use my cell most is best through Verizon. I also accept a higher price point for such good coverage BUT I also think some of that inflated data price is starting to get rather old since their data services are usually anywhere from 50%-200% higher than their competition. If they didn't price gouge their data services so much, I really think they would have a lot more happy clients on their network including Sprint and Cingular users that would consider switching.
    In fairness, I think Seidenberg was the victim of a little selective editing. See http://lists.elistx.com/archives/int.../msg00236.html for a rebuttal from a VZW VP who was in the room with Seidenberg; he claims that the SFChron people picked the most "interesting" quote and substantially skewed what the CEO actually said.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Why get down on Verizon when they are telling the truth!.
    Cell phones are not perfect, the radio wave bounce off of various obstacles,. There is interference from radar, microwaves and even sun spots,
    Would you rather Vz making the statement that all is perfect you can an will get a signal everywhere in the world.
    Same thing happen with the Treo 600 and 650 this board clamored for the release in August, September and so on . Then when it was release we clamored because it wasn’t ready yet. Then we screamed for the update patch an on it goes.

Vz told the truth.
  8.    #8  
    I just put it on the boards as I could imagine the faces on the marketing people when they read their boss's comments.....had me thinking of Dilbert. Of course the stuff its true but it's not stuff ya wanna say if you are tryin to sell somebody something. Kinda like the Carny at the county fair saying "hey stupid, make yaself look like an ***** and spend $40 trying to win a $10 stuffed animal for your kid". Maybe this guy will be nominated to head the UN if the other guy who made "imapproriate comments that are coming back to haunt him" don't make it <grin>.
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    Why get down on Verizon when they are telling the truth!.
    Cell phones are not perfect, the radio wave bounce off of various obstacles,. There is interference from radar, microwaves and even sun spots,
    Would you rather Vz making the statement that all is perfect you can an will get a signal everywhere in the world.
    Same thing happen with the Treo 600 and 650 this board clamored for the release in August, September and so on . Then when it was release we clamored because it wasn’t ready yet. Then we screamed for the update patch an on it goes.

Vz told the truth.
    Thats how I feel about. I even remember people making LOUD comments about releasing the 650 and they would be happy to deal with the problems. Some people need the drama I guess.
    I have Sprint, but if you have tons of commercials with a guy walking around, everywhere! Asking can you hear me now? Well who's doing wrong here? I'm surprised no one has tried to sue for that false advertising.....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I have never seen that guy walking around in my basement.
    If your slogan is "can you here me now" you should never say anything that even with "selective editting" can be construed as "people shouldn't expect coverage xxx" where xxx is anywhere but the top of the worlds 3 highest mountains, underwater and outerspace.